Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 08:27 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The national enthusiasm advantage Democrats have in this election is the only reason Abrams has any chance, but she will still lose imo. I truly hope I am wrong.
I think turnout will be the biggest factor, as it has been in most every recent election. Relatively heavy turnout is what got our past two presidents elected; low turnout is what cost Mary Norwood the Office of Mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 09:35 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
. The graph represents the U.s. electorate, not Georgia—those numbers are included in a separate link. . Even there women still make up a larger proportion of the electorate.

Maybe the pollster recognized that Democratic turnout was depressed in that election because HRC was such a polarizing candidate. They also generally ask questions about how likely a voter is to vote. No question Democrats have the enthusiasm edge here so I don’t see the use of equal number of Trump and Clinton voters as a huge issue.
I don't know how to answer your last paragraph. You are just really, really grasping.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:47 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,303,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I think turnout will be the biggest factor, as it has been in most every recent election. Relatively heavy turnout is what got our past two presidents elected; low turnout is what cost Mary Norwood the Office of Mayor.
I’ve had a hard time guaging how well Democrats will do because too many of the elections being used as reference points for the blue wave had nuances. Cortez and Pressley who pulled off huge upsets in NY and MA were special elections and both saw absolutely awful registered democratic turnout. The Alabama election you had a female predator running and the PA election Lamb was basically a Bill Clinton redux. He was pretty much straight down the middle and not a true Democrat. My concern is that these elections have given the GOP side enough of a warning signal to come out I think sometimes the special elections going One Direction can ultimately be detrimental to the party who won them because it wakes up the party who lost and then they turn out and vote in the midterms they otherwise might have stayed at home for

Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 AM

815 posts, read 709,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't know how to answer your last paragraph. You are just really, really grasping.
Can you explain why you feel that is grasping?

Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I’ve had a hard time guaging how well Democrats will do because too many of the elections being used as reference points for the blue wave had nuances. Cortez and Pressley who pulled off huge upsets in NY and MA were special elections and both saw absolutely awful registered democratic turnout. The Alabama election you had a female predator running and the PA election Lamb was basically a Bill Clinton redux. He was pretty much straight down the middle and not a true Democrat. My concern is that these elections have given the GOP side enough of a warning signal to come out I think sometimes the special elections going One Direction can ultimately be detrimental to the party who won them because it wakes up the party who lost and then they turn out and vote in the midterms they otherwise might have stayed at home for
Neither Cortez nor Pressley were special elections. Those were primary elections.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:58 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
One thing I was thinking about is that with a legislature that is totally dominated by Republicans, it might make sense to have a Democratic governor. That way they keep a check on each other.

When one party controls both the legislative and executive branches of government, there's a tendency to run hog wild.

We've seen that at the national level.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:57 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Can you explain why you feel that is grasping?
You assume that having an electorate very different from 2016 is no problem in figuring out what will happen in 2018. The idea is to have a representative sample, not a tilted one.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:25 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The national enthusiasm advantage Democrats have in this election is the only reason Abrams has any chance, but she will still lose imo. I truly hope I am wrong.
Voter suppression and the need to clear 50% to avoid a runoff are two other obstacles for Abrams.

They are high obstacles but not insurmountable.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:25 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One thing I was thinking about is that with a legislature that is totally dominated by Republicans, it might make sense to have a Democratic governor. That way they keep a check on each other.

When one party controls both the legislative and executive branches of government, there's a tendency to run hog wild.

We've seen that at the national level.
I disagree. When there's a republican leader and democratic legislature, it serves a check. Norms are followed, the government functions, but there is definitely a check.

When there's a democratic leader and republican legislature, as is typical of Republicans, they destroy the norms and block everything. For example, look in NC when the Republicans called a special session after Cooper (D) won the governship to strip him of all power. Or nationally when Republicans agreed their entire plan once taking over the legislature was simply to dent Obama a 2nd term. They even held open a supreme Court seat for a year.

I don't think Republicans serve as a good "check". They game the system to get what they want, and render government useless for the people when they don't get their way.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:49 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I disagree. When there's a republican leader and democratic legislature, it serves a check. Norms are followed, the government functions, but there is definitely a check.

When there's a democratic leader and republican legislature, as is typical of Republicans, they destroy the norms and block everything. For example, look in NC when the Republicans called a special session after Cooper (D) won the governship to strip him of all power. Or nationally when Republicans agreed their entire plan once taking over the legislature was simply to dent Obama a 2nd term. They even held open a supreme Court seat for a year.

I don't think Republicans serve as a good "check". They game the system to get what they want, and render government useless for the people when they don't get their way.
All true, but it's still better to have Abrams than Kemp because in that scenario, compromise is within the realm of possibility. If Kemp wins, it's going to be a far right gold rush with no brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia