Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 11:00 AM

529 posts, read 369,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
The posts of gun-defenders are becoming less and less rational. Gun-related deaths include deaths form all causes -- homicide and suicide, accidental and deliberate. Dead is dead after all. And all maimed and scarred up is all maimed and scarred up

Meanwhile, reductions in the harm done by cell phones do not require "confiscation" either, but "confiscation" has been pounded so deeply into the psyches of gun-defenders that it's the first and only thing they can think of in ANY harm-reduction scenario. What a sorry state of affairs! Thanks, NRA!

Maybe you have some alternate ideas, but there are many who won't be satisfied without confiscation and banning.

Let me ask you this. Do you think all the people dead from gun related suicides would have just decided against suicide if they didn't have a gun? really?

Old 10-03-2015, 11:10 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Either you're saying that I'm trigger happy or you doubt the resolve of your fellow compatriots...?
No, I'm saying that talk is cheap and we've heard and seen all this false bravado nonsense before.

Quote:
Unless, of course, you don't live in N. America...?
That's odd to hear from a self-described global nomad. Not sure how it would be germane to anything in any case. Just more pointless hot air as far as I can see.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:22 AM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Quote:
Evening!

I don't know why we continue to debate the issue of gun ownership. What we're really discussing is the legality of the situation, not the reality. The reality is that no North American (yes, we have lots of guns in Canada too) is going to hand over his/her gun(s) to the government without a lot of .gov agents getting killed. Most people have at least a hunting rifle (or two or six), and they aren't about to let anyone tell them that because some sociopath shot off an oozie, they now have to pay for meat. Same goes for fishing equipment.

If guns were banned, do those who oppose gun ownership honestly think the same sociopath who used a gun to mow down kids in a school, wouldn't use a Molotov cocktail? Or any one of literally dozens of kinds of easily manufactured explosives?

Nope, we always come back to the same commonsense statement: Guns don't kill people; people kill people.

Shabbat Shalom,

Mahrie.

People WITH GUNS kill people.
They also kill with other means, but mainly guns.
Let's get rid of them once and for all.

Bob.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:36 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have not read all the posts, but since no amount of gun control will keep the bad guys from getting them, I will not support any type of gun control which would keep law abiding citizens from protecting themselves.
I will gladly support tighter screening and background checks, and more comprehensive treatment of the mentally ill.
I have also heard that the states which have the tightest gun restrictions have the most killings.

Here in Savannah, a tourist mecca, we are facing a serious problem of random shootings starting to bleed from the ghettos into the formerly safe tourist areas. there is the same old blah blah blah about tighter gun controls, but nobody really thinks it would do any good.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:11 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
It's not as if anyone argues that guns get up by themselves and shoot people. Many of us just don't see a reason why so many people need to have the ability to kill people so easily and so MANY of them (as you can with a gun).

As most of us know, there was a recent attack in China on elementary school kids which left 22 wounded. If the guy had a gun, it would have been like Newton, CT. Sure, a knife can also kill (happened in China a few yrs ago), but in general, it takes longer and is harder (which would give others time to stop the attacker).

I really don't see why anyone, other than the cops and military, should have the ability to STOCK UP on guns and ammunition. Sure, I can see having a single gun if you live in a city/suburb if you're scared in your home and maybe a few if you live in a rural area....even in those scenarios, no one really needs to have a gun that can fire many times before re-loading. And only a tiny fraction of people need to be able to have like more than 10 bullets at any given time. I live in TX, a totally gun loving state, which was a bit of a culture shock. I see no reason why people I know should have multiple guns as a HOBBY.
ALL of the mass murderer shooters will STILL be able to stockpile weapons that are on a mission to end lives with gun control in effect.

It is the reality..

In all of the mass murderer cases, the reason why it became a mass murder is because someone else did not have the capability to put an end to the slaughter as they were DEFENSELESS.

The VAST MAJORITY of people are not going to do these things but work to PROTECT the public.

Give me a gun and I would have wasted this fool that was intent on destroying Christians for standing up for their faith. At least I would have died trying if I was unsuccessful.

And for the Holmes in the theater, his life would have been ended long before his cryptic desire to end multiple lives including children was fulfilled.

These type of people opening fire in public places on civilian populations don't deserve to breath air. They forfeit their life the moment they decide to do that. I don't care what diagnosis some Doc comes up with for their defense.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:30 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Talk is cheap. We've seen and heard it all before.
Who's we?

Old 10-03-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
People WITH GUNS kill people.
They also kill with other means, but mainly guns.
Let's get rid of them once and for all.

Bob.
Yes, we should get rid of all the people who unnecessarily kill and injure others with guns.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Your point being?

Either you're saying that I'm trigger happy or you doubt the resolve of your fellow compatriots...? Unless, of course, you don't live in N. America...?

Mahrie.
P.S. I'm a pacifist in principle and hate killing animals, let alone people, but I know that I'd defend my family; I've done it before - twice. Not proud of that, but it was necessary. At least I didn't kill the &%$@%*D$ - just nearly.

Shalom,

Mahrie.
I would definitely defend my loved ones with whatever I had at hand. Sometimes it is necessary.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have also heard that the states which have the tightest gun restrictions have the most killings.
That "honor" actually belongs to the states with the most guns.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Who's we?
All of us. Integration over my dead body. If Bush wins, I'm moving to Canada. You'll have to take my guns out of my cold, dead hands. It's all just babbling big-mouth nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates