Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 10:33 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Somehow -- despite all this alleged "prohibition" of yours -- there are more than 300,000,000 guns in this country, guns that leave us with world-worst levels of gun-related death and mayhem. Gun freaks simply DON'T CARE. And as becomes ever more evident, there simply are no numbers of dead and maimed that gun freaks EVER WOULD care about. It's all collateral damage in the infantile cause of their right to think that they are John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. What a cartoonish disgrace.
There is prohibition - you can't buy a gun in Chicago or in San Francisco.. can't be done, because of the "ban" that isn't a "ban". Teeny-tiny two-bit towns across the country will have half-a-dozen licensed dealers, but a couple of the US's biggest cities? not one dealer.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:56 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Want to immediately reduce homicides 80-90%?

Easy! Get rid of all violent prior felons...as they are responsible for 80-90% of all homicides.

There you have it...start there! Oh, wait! You can't DO that...you need them on the streets so they can vote more liberals into office.
Right, institute of justice says 71% of of violent criminals become repeat offenders.

Folks out there want to refer to these criminals with guns as "gun owners". They are prohibited by law from owning firearms, so they are not gun owners.

One thing about these felons.... they are prohibited from voting.

http://www.nij.gov/topics/correction...s/welcome.aspx

Old 10-05-2015, 12:05 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Which most likely would if given an opportunity. They didn't come over to have a chat with anyone after all. They would have much preferred that no one was home. But the habits of scared-out-of-their-skin nutcases with guns typically don't allow such a thing. If some panicky macho-wannabe forces a him-or-me situation, guess who's going to go down first.

Texas is a little like Iran in some ways. And many other states have laws requiring that a victim seek first to retreat, making it some form of murder to simply kill an intruder as your first line of defense. It should of course be the last.

People steal because they need to. The imagined love of stealing doesn't really enter into it. And pulling a trigger on either side typically happens as a foggy split-second reaction, not as the end result of some careful process of rational consideration.
Garbage. If you are truly starving, then there are programs that provide food, shelter and clothing.

The reality is that they steal because they want drugs. And that's not a "need".

So yes, the decision to pull that trigger on someone that has made their decision to enter my home with ill intent is not split-second. It's the result of me "processing" the fact that this criminal has decided to do me harm, because they WANT to, not because they have to.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:16 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OK, you go cower in a corner with your cell phone and call the police. The government will protect you.
You forget, when the burglars are forcing their way in through the back door, he'll run out of the front door... leaving his child upstairs in the bedroom.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:37 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OK, you go cower in a corner with your cell phone and call the police. The government will protect you.
Yes, I'll follow the sensible course and seek to keep my odds of being blown away to a minimum. You can certainly feel free to throw such caution to the wind if you like. Meanwhile, the job of police is to apprehend criminals.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
There is prohibition - you can't buy a gun in Chicago or in San Francisco.. can't be done, because of the "ban" that isn't a "ban". Teeny-tiny two-bit towns across the country will have half-a-dozen licensed dealers, but a couple of the US's biggest cities? not one dealer.
None of the more than 300,000,000 guns in this country could be found in Chicago or San Francisco?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Right, institute of justice says 71% of of violent criminals become repeat offenders.
Wasn't that the LOWEST rate of recidivism reported for various sorts of criminals?

Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Garbage. If you are truly starving, then there are programs that provide food, shelter and clothing.
I suppose it's comforting for you to believe that -- that need in our communities has been eliminated thanks to the presence of "programs". Ask the people who run those "programs", and to a man, they will tell you that their efforts are overwhelmed by the levels of need on the streets.

Quote:
The reality is that they steal because they want drugs. And that's not a "need".
Reality is a single mother doing twelve months for shop-lifting a couple of cans of baby formula.

Quote:
So yes, the decision to pull that trigger on someone that has made their decision to enter my home with ill intent is not split-second. It's the result of me "processing" the fact that this criminal has decided to do me harm, because they WANT to, not because they have to.
Remind me not to trick-or-treat in your neighborhood.

Last edited by Reynard32; 10-05-2015 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 04:07 PM

529 posts, read 369,853 times
Quote:
Remind me not to trick-or-treat in your neighborhood.

Do trick-or-treaters enter your home without your consent?

That's not the way we do it in my neighborhood.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 PM

477 posts, read 276,449 times
Quote:
Yes, I'll follow the sensible course and seek to keep my odds of being blown away to a minimum. You can certainly feel free to throw such caution to the wind if you like. Meanwhile, the job of police is to apprehend criminals.
Yes, apprehend criminals AFTER they've stolen, assaulted, raped, or murdered. The police serve and protect, when they are able to. They try and want to prevent crimes, but cannot be everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates