Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. Hip hop is the ruination of black youth.

But black youth has been ruined so many times before, I don't think there is much left to ruin. Ragtime ruined them 110 years ago, then the blues ruined them, then jazz ruined them, then swing, then be-bop, then rhythm 'n blues, then rock, then soul, then disco, then rap, and now hip hop.

Along the way, it ruined all the white kids who listened to exactly all that same music. Even country sounds black these days, so it's ruined, too.

Damn kids... they always ruin stuff for the geezers. We are all ruined.
Can you please explain how ragtime, jazz, and other genres ruined Black youths? Last time I checked, not nearly as much bad stuff going on.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,193,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Rapper "Styles P" talks about how rappers have a huge influence over the youth. This example talks more specifically about Kanye West.

Styles P. Would Freak if Son Wore Kanye Skirt Home - YouTube
This is the most homophobic thing I have heard in a long time.

He considers how his music impacts youth, yet he still writes music that encourages "gangster ****"?

Yet wearing a kilt (a traditionally masculine garment) is something to lose your mind over?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:22 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
This is the most homophobic thing I have heard in a long time.

He considers how his music impacts youth, yet he still writes music that encourages "gangster ****"?

Yet wearing a kilt (a traditionally masculine garment) is something to lose your mind over?

Well at least we can give him credit for being honest, I guess.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:42 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Does Hip Hop culture contribute to the destruction of young Black Youth in America? It seems that many young Americans(especially young black males) idolize and look up to rappers who perpetuate negative stereotypes they portray like materialism, solving every problem with violence, degrading females, not valuing education, homophobism, etc. Is Hip Hop destroying the young Black Youth of this country?

I wonder myself about this issue... Now I'm an old dude in my 40's back in the 80's tipper and her PMRC were up in arms about heavy metal music...

So, I don't know... I think a lot of it is just being young and stupid, for lack of a better way of saying it. I recently read an article where 50 cent was talking about how he wanted cars, money, fame, the whole nine. He said that when he was younger he thought that to "make it" you have to have a Lamborghini in the driveway.... he said he has one, and he has a rolls Royce and apparently the rolls is so little used that he only has a handful of miles on it.....

The greater point is that while hip hop culture is repugnant to me, a lot of it is just bluster and the average person that listens to that shyt grows up and becomes decent law abiding citizens.......

Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Can you please explain how ragtime, jazz, and other genres ruined Black youths? Last time I checked, not nearly as much bad stuff going on.
I was being sarcastic. But each of those musical periods were seen at their height of popularity as corrupting the young forever.

Each of those genres started in the black community and was later taken up widely by white kids soon afterward. Each was started by young musicians; the musicians who are 30 and over continue to play what they began as kids, and eventually all get passed by, but every musical innovation continues to stick around as long as it's generation lives.

I could have extended my list all the way back to minstrel music. It was the only singularly American music that was created by white kids, but they were all white city slum kids imitating black rural musicians and dancers. Eventually, black kids also put on blackface and made a living playing it as well. Minstrel troupes were some of the earliest integrated orchestras in America, even though most were all of one race or the other.

Of all the popular music crazes, minstrelsy lasted the longest of all by far. It first began in New York and Philadelphia in the 1830's, and has never completely died out in Europe. It lost it's popularity here in the 1960's. 130 years is a very long time span for any popular music.

That's what makes American music so popular world-wide. Our colored people's culture has always generated fresh music that is based on what they created earlier, always putting a new spin on it, and our white people's culture takes it right up and spreads it around. Our joint racial mix creates a music that has appeal to all races and cultures world-wide.

Unlike the rest of the world, which typically has very old musical traditions that originated in a long dominant cultural context, American music has always been restless and undergoes much more rapid and profound changes. Americans still keep their cultural traditions, but we have never frozen them down solid. We keep spinning old gold into new gold, over and over.

Each time our music evolves, it's always the young who make the changes. It is always those who are older who have a much harder time leaving the old music behind. And it's always the the elders who think the music they heard growing up was the best ever.

There is a curious sociological fact: Most kids who never learn to play music will continue to prefer the music they heard at age 18 for the rest of their lives. They don't like what came before very much, and don't like what came afterward even more.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:25 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. Hip hop is the ruination of black youth.

But black youth has been ruined so many times before, I don't think there is much left to ruin. Ragtime ruined them 110 years ago, then the blues ruined them, then jazz ruined them, then swing, then be-bop, then rhythm 'n blues, then rock, then soul, then disco, then rap, and now hip hop.

Along the way, it ruined all the white kids who listened to exactly all that same music. Even country sounds black these days, so it's ruined, too.

Damn kids... they always ruin stuff for the geezers. We are all ruined.
You are off the mark- Kids entering the music business back in the day - - "Paid their dues" If they wanted to sing..they would put in thousands of hours of practice and maybe get mentored by an experienced performer...they kept at it till they go it right - until they sounded like pros - if they wanted into the music industry they took the time to understand what a piano or guitar was about - they put in their ten thousand hours until they were accomplished players...They would learn how to compose a melody..how to get the feel right- the perfect timing....THAT HAS ALL CHANGED.

There are less and less musical people in the music business. Now any kid who wants to be a big deal can get a recording program...a couple of high end recording mikes - sample some beats...get with some multi-tracking...click on the auto tune...and rant some bad poetry about nothing useful or beautiful- then they expect to post on the net and be famous and rich. It's the wanting of something without doing the work to get it. I never heard of real musicians thinking that the way to compete in the business was to kill the competition. This type of so-called music is everything that music is NOT supposed to be about.

I played pro and wrote most of my life- My son has put in his time and is a good producer and writer...You would not believe how many young black men have been by in the past to record who thought that my son's magic touch would make them famous....It does not work that way - these things take a lot of time...My mother and father were musician - I am a musician - my son is a musician..it has been an inter-generational thing that has built up over time- and most of it is hard work and the other small part is genetics...TALENT...and it seems that talent is no longer the vital core of today's black sound.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Hip-Hop does nothing but talk about things that were going on in the black community long before Hip-Hop was around. It's just a convenient scapegoat.

Plus, the whole gangsta, violent phase of Hip-Hop was really confined to the early 90s to mid-2000s. That type of Hip-Hop phased out and Hip-Hop wasn't even founded on those things. If anything Hip-Hop is going through more of a soft "metrosexual" phase right now. I don't think Hip-Hop is even really homophobic anymore and actually encourages bisexuality now with artists like Nicki Minaj and Frank Ocean.

I don't even listen to Hip-Hop all that much anymore, but most of the people on here against it are extremely ignorant about the history of the genre in general.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 07-24-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Hip-Hop does nothing but talk about things that were going on in the black community long before Hip-Hop was around. It's just a convenient scapegoat.

Plus, the whole gangsta, violent phase of Hip-Hop was really confined to the early 90s to mid-2000s. That type of Hip-Hop phased out and Hip-Hop wasn't even founded on those things. If anything Hip-Hop is going through more of a soft "metrosexual" phase right now. I don't think Hip-Hop is even really homophobic anymore and actually encourages bisexuality now with artists like Nicki Minaj and Frank Ocean.

I don't even listen to Hip-Hop all that much anymore, but most of the people on here against it are extremely ignorant about the history of the genre in general.
So true. I guess if your going to scapegoat something than at least know what your talking about.

Better and more constructive parenting and familial support is the best deterrent against any seemingly harmful influence. The irony of it is by blaming hip hop music, video games the internet and any thing else, people are basically conveying a message to kids that it's acceptable to blame these things for all of your problems.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I think that it is on some level.

They said the same thing about heavy metal in the 80's with Tipper Gore's PMRC.

So I don't really know for sure.

Granted, I'm a middle aged white guy and don't face the same issues as a 19 yr old black kid, but that being said, I was walking thru the parking lot a couple of days ago and this car was circling around looking for a parking spot and the rap music was blasting away, I can't even repeat what I heard, every other word was the N word, the B word, hoes and getting money and getting paid, or something along those lines.

I know plenty of kids listen to rap music and go on and live normal lives, but sometimes between the shyt you see in music vids and the "thug" culture that rap music promotes makes you wonder at times.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think that it is on some level.

They said the same thing about heavy metal in the 80's with Tipper Gore's PMRC.

So I don't really know for sure.

Granted, I'm a middle aged white guy and don't face the same issues as a 19 yr old black kid, but that being said, I was walking thru the parking lot a couple of days ago and this car was circling around looking for a parking spot and the rap music was blasting away, I can't even repeat what I heard, every other word was the N word, the B word, hoes and getting money and getting paid, or something along those lines.

I know plenty of kids listen to rap music and go on and live normal lives, but sometimes between the shyt you see in music vids and the "thug" culture that rap music promotes makes you wonder at times.
There's a difference. Radio rap is just club songs and a couple local songs. Underground rap is where it's bad, the ones from Baton Rouge talk about the murders they commit, standing over people (as a more personal encounter than a drive-by), stealing drugs (AKA jacking), cooking crack, running from police, enticing US Marshals, etc. The stuff here is what can promote crime, not so much the crap on the radio. I don't see the problem with the cursing, it's just words, however I hate to hear bad rap being blasted now. Being a young black male, that's a first for many in my city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates