Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:00 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You are right. The US is not a racist country. Yes, there are a few people that are racist but that is true in many countries.
Right, it is a broad generalization to claim that the U.S. is a "racist country."

Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
the US is NOT a better place to live than the UK............its just bigger.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:13 PM

59 posts, read 49,761 times
The UK:

1. Moody people. Everyone looks like they have a stick up their ass.

2. Expensive housing. Seriously. A house for half a million £ is still tiny, and lo behold if you want it to be in a good area too.

3. People who don't adapt to the Western culture. Fine, if you want to come to the UK then great! Welcome! But don't drag your annoying and rigid traditions here and then try to change the whole country to go along with them! And I'm going to say "Merry Christmas" if I want to, I don't care if your sensitive ass gets offended.

4. Ugly, unless you live in a very rich area (see #2).

5. And finally, how could I not mention the weather?! Cold, rainy, and overcast all year. The sky is completely white. I wouldn't mind if it were any other god damn shade, but white? It looks like we're on a sheet of paper. Depressing as f*ck.

Meanwhile, I visited the states (California to be exact), and:

1. People are much nicer and open to conversation.

2. Housing is much cheaper.

3. They get the good immigrants. What does this mean? Well, in the UK you can come over and the government will give you a house and take care of your kids and baby you. It's simple. Just say you're "vulnerable". To get to the US and stay there you have to work your ass off. Immigrants tend to acclimate to the Western culture much better.

4. Well, I don't know about all of America, but Cali was beautiful. The US has mountains, deserts, oceans, lakes, woodland, etc etc. Everything is on a grander scale. The UK has trees and cliffs and, well, that's it.

5. Californian weather was perfect.

Thank God I'm moving to the US next year. I would never choose to live in the UK.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:08 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,185 times
American houses are cheap to buy because they are very cheap to build. They are basically a wooden skeleton sitting on a concrete block. English properties may be smaller but are better built.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:55 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
One of my best friends is a Brit who has lived in the U.S. for the past five years. My wife is an American who lived in the U.K. for a few years, and we travel there frequently, as she has a number of English relatives. We have had many conversations about possibly moving to the U.K. some day, but my British friend has always told us to think long and hard because we have it very nice and the grass is greener and so forth.

My friend is an executive at a huge multinational company, so his preferences probably aren't characteristic of the majority, but he says that he would have a very hard time moving back to the U.K. because he loves the cars/open roads, the golf, and the outdoor lifestyle that he can't get at home. He loves water skiing and bass fishing, and he says he will probably leave the U.S. if his company needs him to, but that he will come back here when he retires.

Now that we are expecting a child, my wife found a great long term job, and I am tenured at an excellent University, we don't talk about moving anymore. Still, we will probably still visit quite a bit, my wife will still watch mostly British TV, and my friend will still bring us back a shoe box full of dairy milk chocolate bars every few months when he travels for work.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:50 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danida View Post
The UK:

2. Expensive housing. Seriously. A house for half a million £ is still tiny, and lo behold if you want it to be in a good area too.

3. People who don't adapt to the Western culture. Fine, if you want to come to the UK then great! Welcome! But don't drag your annoying and rigid traditions here and then try to change the whole country to go along with them! And I'm going to say "Merry Christmas" if I want to, I don't care if your sensitive ass gets offended.

5. And finally, how could I not mention the weather?! Cold, rainy, and overcast all year. The sky is completely white. I wouldn't mind if it were any other god damn shade, but white? It looks like we're on a sheet of paper. Depressing as f*ck.

3. They get the good immigrants. What does this mean? Well, in the UK you can come over and the government will give you a house and take care of your kids and baby you. It's simple. Just say you're "vulnerable". To get to the US and stay there you have to work your ass off. Immigrants tend to acclimate to the Western culture much better.

4. Well, I don't know about all of America, but Cali was beautiful. The US has mountains, deserts, oceans, lakes, woodland, etc etc. Everything is on a grander scale. The UK has trees and cliffs and, well, that's it.

Thank God I'm moving to the US next year. I would never choose to live in the UK.
As a Californian I agree with most of what you said. First, do not refer to California as Cali. That is a no no. Cali is a city in Colombia. Housing is more expensive in California than just about anywhere in the US.

Living in California is great.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM

59 posts, read 49,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
As a Californian I agree with most of what you said. First, do not refer to California as Cali. That is a no no. Cali is a city in Colombia. Housing is more expensive in California than just about anywhere in the US.

Living in California is great.
Seriously? I've heard a lot of people call it Cali, including Californians. If it raises eyebrows though I'll have to stop!

Housing does seem more expensive there, but still cheaper than in London where I live. But people living in California seem happy to be there -- much happier than those who seem visibly disgusted when you ask them if they like London haha!

Old 07-22-2015, 12:11 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Well one thing that the UK does have that the US doesnt is a longer history. You can take a quick trip in the UK and explore some 1000 year old castle or 2000 year old Roman ruins. Cant do that here in America. So for the history buffs theres more in the UK. Here in Florida we have the oldest continuously inhabited City in North America, St Augustine. Trouble is its a tourist crap hole full of drunks and....more drunks...

Old 07-22-2015, 12:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
American houses are cheap to buy because they are very cheap to build. They are basically a wooden skeleton sitting on a concrete block. English properties may be smaller but are better built.
But you can not buy a American built equal house nearly as cheap in UK and certainly not on a 30 year fixed rate mortgage. Its just more expensive to buy like for like in UK. Young people have very hard time even getting on the homeownership latter as you say there. I'd say you have not examined homes much in US .Many brick homes like mine. Your like many here who think all British live in low ceiling dark plaster homes with exposed plumbing and wring because they are so old. or government projects.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danida View Post
The UK:

Where in CA were you, that housing was "much cheaper" than in the UK? Not the San Francisco Bay Area, that's for sure. And btw, did anyone tell you CA is running out of water? Bring your own supply.

Not really fair to compare 1/2 a continent to an island off the European north coast. The US has cold, rainy, overcast all year, and sullen, withdrawn people, too. Check out Seattle.

But thanks for your vote. ....I guess.

Personally, I like the UK's afternoon tea time tradition. It's not just tea, it's a mini-meal. In the US, you have to go to Canada to get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.