Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The problem with woman's studies, they are not something that will lead to lifetime career to support yourself. News item on Woman's studies.

Forget Mickey Mouse Degrees, Gender Studies is the New Non-Degree | HuffPost UK
How is this new, news, or even relevant? Neither will degrees in fine arts, literature, sociology, criminal justice, or communications! All typically low paying....oh and predominantly females seeking those degrees. Perhaps because they value the topic more than the money they won't be making...but mostly those areas just aren't really valued. Chicken and the egg...

Old 06-22-2017, 09:07 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Men have been studied and talk about enough. It need to be a distinction. However, I don't think you speak for all university though.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Men tend to get paid more, even if they have LESS experience than a woman doing the same job in the next cubicle, because it's still considered that men are the primary breadwinners (overlooking all the struggling single moms), so they "deserve" or "need" higher pay.
Every one of the Fortune 500 corporations, the Wilshire 3000 corporations and essentially all of the Russell 2000 has an HR department that relentlessly combs through the data to identify any conscious or unconscious bias of the form you just described, and if found, immediately rectifies the situation.

To prevent it from happening in the first place, during the performance review process and prior to any determinations being made final, HR data analysts evaluate every action at the individual, department, division and corporate level. They scour the data to determine the impact on every protected class to ensure there is no disparate impact. Consultants are brought in to perform sophisticated statistical analysis to ensure there are no pockets of illegal outcomes. When it is time to lay off people, the same process and statistical analysis is performed. Ditto for promotions.

Only once the above review has been completed and each and every action is reviewed at the micro and macro level is it allowed to go forward.

No where -- not once -- has an employee's "need" in the context you cite played any role whatsoever. It just doesn't happen. "He's a breadwinner so we'll give him a bigger raise" is the type of urban myth that circulates among those who do not understand the process or the mathematics that go into it. I had to terminate a 60 year old employee (note that anyone over the age of 40 is part of a protected class); HR legal ultimately signed off on the termination because I had hired this employee into the company at age 56 in the first place. The employee in question expected the action, understood why, and agreed to it -- all based on individual merit. The employee's age, gender, skin color, veteran status, sexual preference, sexual identity, religion, creed, country of origin had no bearing. The only thing that mattered -- the ONLY thing that mattered -- was that employee's personal job performance (or lack thereof).

This is not to say that all decisions are gender blind (or race blind or blind to the other protected classes.) Let me give you a first hand example.

One major corporation I worked for had a hiring freeze as a result of deteriorating business conditions. At the General Counsel's staff meeting, several senior HR directors & VPs presented the just-implemented hiring freeze.

HR explained why exceptions to the freeze only would be made to hire women and African Americans into specific job functions, as the company was underrepresented and actively wished to improve its percentages, and did not want to do anything to foment a lawsuit. No lawsuits were pending, but HR was eager to remain on the right side of any potential litigation. The company is a tech company where most everyone is a solid state physicist, electrical engineer, chemical engineer, chemist, mechanical engineer, materials scientist, photolithography process engineer, ceramics engineer, software engineer, AI engineer, industrial engineer, mathematician, network engineer or data scientist. And far too few women and African Americans choose to pursue degrees in these areas, so among hiring employers it is hand-to-hand combat to attract, hire & retain them.

Bottom line: Hiring freeze. No exceptions except for women and African Americans.

"I've been given a directive to hire a replacement an SEC attorney who left the company," said one VP of Legal who is also the Corporate Secretary.

"We have a hiring freeze and you may not extend an offer to any candidate. The only exception is if the candidate is Female or African American or both," replied the VP of HR.

VP of Legal & Corporate Secretary: "The Board of Directors of the Corporation has directed me to hire an outstanding SEC attorney to replace XXX who left."

VP of HR: "We have a hiring freeze and you may not extend an offer to any candidate. The only exception is if the candidate is Female or African American or both."

VP of Legal & Corporate Secretary: "What am I supposed to do? Do you want me to run an advertisement saying, 'no white men need apply?'"

VP of HR: "Don't be silly. That's illegal and you know it. We have a hiring freeze and you may not extend an offer to any candidate. The only exception is if the candidate is Female or African American or both."

VP of Legal & Corporate Secretary: "Should I only interview Female or African American candidates?"

VP of HR: "That's also illegal and could get us sued. But, you may not extend an offer to any candidate because of the hiring freeze, where the only exception -- the ONLY exception -- is if the candidate is Female or African American or both."

The VP of Legal & Corporate Secretary was getting quite testy and irritated -- after all, the Chairman of the Board of Directors, the CEO (a different person), and the General Counsel all had directed him to hire the best person he could find, and HR was telling him "no." The presentation degraded and ultimately called to a halt.

Quote:
Or their career trajectories are more important, somehow.
One of the sad truths is that women self-select out of rigorous, objective technical disciplines at a much higher rate than do men. Ditto for Blacks compared to non-Blacks.

According to extensive primary research, high school girls are much less interested in pursuing engineering and technology than their male peers. In 2014, only 3 percent of high school females reported an interest in engineering, compared to 31 percent of males. In the same year, just 2 percent of girls reported an interest in technology, while 15 percent of boys expressed an interest in the field.

On Advanced Placement (AP) tests, male students scored higher than females in EVERY STEM subject; on the SATs, males of all demographics scored at least 30 points higher on the math section than females.

Only 6 percent of AA degrees and 13 percent of BS/BA degrees granted to women were in a STEM field. For men, the numbers were 20 and 28 percent, respectively, in STEM. At the graduate level, in 2014 only 10 percent of graduate degrees earned by women were in STEM fields while 24 percent of graduate degrees granted to men were STEM degrees.

Quote:
And studies have shown that even when women negotiated for their raises, they still get less than men's raises. They're taken less seriously.
The performance review process in every major corporation is exceptionally rigorous and more importantly DATA DRIVEN. Before implemented, every action is scrutinized at the individual, department, division and corporate level. Any hint of women receiving lower raises is put under a microscope to understand why, and even if demonstrably justified based on actual accomplishment of specific individuals, is fixed to ensure there is no statistical difference between men and women of the form you suggest.

Moreover, salary adjustments do occur on top of individual merit based on gender and race - but in the opposite direction from the way you suggest. "Linda is a female photolithography process engineer, and we're adding an extra XX% raise to every female process engineer regardless of merit as a tool to encourage retention of women."

Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Every one of the Fortune 500 corporations, the Wilshire 3000 corporations and essentially all of the Russell 2000 has an HR department that relentlessly combs through the data to identify any conscious or unconscious bias of the form you just described, and if found, immediately rectifies the situation.

To prevent it from happening in the first place, during the performance review process and prior to any determinations being made final, HR data analysts evaluate every action at the individual, department, division and corporate level. They scour the data to determine the impact on every protected class to ensure there is no disparate impact. Consultants are brought in to perform sophisticated statistical analysis to ensure there are no pockets of illegal outcomes. When it is time to lay off people, the same process and statistical analysis is performed. Ditto for promotions.

Only once the above review has been completed and each and every action is reviewed at the micro and macro level is it allowed to go forward.
This is not to say that all decisions are gender blind (or race blind or blind to the other protected classes.) Let me give you a first hand example.

One major corporation I worked for had a hiring freeze as a result of deteriorating business conditions. At the General Counsel's staff meeting, several senior HR directors & VPs presented the just-implemented hiring freeze.

HR explained why exceptions to the freeze only would be made to hire women and African Americans into specific job functions, as the company was underrepresented and actively wished to improve its percentages, and did not want to do anything to foment a lawsuit. No lawsuits were pending, but HR was eager to remain on the right side of any potential litigation.
Oh my...considering all the rigorous statistical analysis being done every single day in every single large company and yet the very company YOU worked for somehow got their numbers out of whack? Tres interesant...at least they had the very best of intentions.

Quote:
The performance review process in every major corporation is exceptionally rigorous and more importantly DATA DRIVEN. Before implemented, every action is scrutinized at the individual, department, division and corporate level. Any hint of women receiving lower raises is put under a microscope to understand why, and even if demonstrably justified based on actual accomplishment of specific individuals, is fixed to ensure there is no statistical difference between men and women of the form you suggest.

Moreover, salary adjustments do occur on top of individual merit based on gender and race - but in the opposite direction from the way you suggest. "Linda is a female photolithography process engineer, and we're adding an extra XX% raise to every female process engineer regardless of merit as a tool to encourage retention of women."
I'm calling B.S. on this - what level of exec were you that you can speak with such certainty and about such broad swaths of businesses? You may know statistical analysis and the specific stats of your company but I don't think you know all that goes on behind closed doors at other companies or even those where you've worked to make such broad generalizations...but you do manage to do it in a very insulting manner!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:36 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Why is there Mothers Day and Fathers Day, but no Children's Day?

Because every day is Children's Day

Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Men have been studied and talk about enough. It need to be a distinction. However, I don't think you speak for all university though.
This is an excellent point. When I first read the title of this thread I mistakenly thought the OP was complaining that men haven't been studied enough. The fact is, historically, the majority of medical studies have focused on men and how to cure their ails. It was only just relatively recently that the medical field has determined how differently women experience heart attacks than men and they are still often overlooked or misdiagnosed by doctors. Happened to my ex MIL, they thought she had a stroke but weeks later they determined she had actually suffered a heart attack and ended up spending over a month in the hospital. Last I read, women are more likely to die from a heart attack than their male counterparts.

Thing is, women's studies isn't exclusively for women - men can take these classes too. Their is no exclusion last I checked. Several of my male professors have taken these types of classes. The men who complain the loudest about feminism and women's studies are the ones who could really benefit from edification in this area.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I see where you would think that but be weary of making such an assumption.
Mathmatics & physics have historically been the top.

Average LSAT Scores for 29 Majors with over 400 Students Taking the Exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
The thing I think people are missing when it comes to majoring in STEM fields is that they forget is that it's not for everyone and if you don't get the material then it will not matter how hard you work in comparison to someone who has a better grasp of the field and works just as hard.
Certainly no one who is technical misses it. Science & engineering are rigorous, difficult objective disciplines -- they are hard. That is in stark contrast to subjective (that is, decidedly non-objective), squishy "disciplines" such as gender studies and sociology which objectively lack academic rigor. I argue they do not belong in the academy in the first place and their genesis has little to do with the advancement of the body of human knowledge.

It is decidedly disingenuous, don't you think, for people to take the easy path of non-objective, squishy Gender Studies or African American Studies and then complain that 20 years hence their compensation is less than that of CPU Architect?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:21 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why do so many universities claim to promote gender equality and yet they have a women's studies major but no men's studies major? Is this not a form of gender discrimination?
Because feminazis would go ape**** if there was a program like this.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Mathmatics & physics have historically been the top.

Average LSAT Scores for 29 Majors with over 400 Students Taking the Exam
What of the other part of the equation which is the GPA? There's also the obvious fact that many Physics, Math and Engineering majors may not even consider taking a career in law.

Quote:
Certainly no one who is technical misses it. Science & engineering are rigorous, difficult objective disciplines -- they are hard. That is in stark contrast to subjective (that is, decidedly non-objective), squishy "disciplines" such as gender studies and sociology which objectively lack academic rigor. I argue they do not belong in the academy in the first place and their genesis has little to do with the advancement of the body of human knowledge.

It is decidedly disingenuous, don't you think, for people to take the easy path of non-objective, squishy Gender Studies or African American Studies and then complain that 20 years hence their compensation is less than that of CPU Architect?
You've missed the point of my previous posts. Not everyone can excel at Science and Engineering no matter how hard they try. As much as you have this contempt towards gender studies and ethnic studies, trying to major in STEM with poor and mediocre grades just because that's where the money is simply going to result in the same dead end outcome you claim awaits them in social science.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Careers I could think of where a Women's Studies major would be useful:
I'll put some responses inline in red.

Quote:
Teaching (yeah, the circular thing, fine. But it's obvious.) <== Physics, Chemistry, Biology & Mathematics would be better.
Writing. Writing anything from philosophy and self help, to biographies, to fiction, to non-fiction or sociology topics. <==Physics, Mathematics, Engineering would be better. Yes: math would be better. Until you've written a 20 page Math term paper, you don't know what clarity of thought really means.
Going on to become a marriage, sex, or relationship therapist of some kind. <== Every technical discipline would be better. (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc)
Going on into midwifery or related fields (which would require a transition into medicine of course.) <== Biology, Biophysics, Bioengineering, Physiology, Chemistry etc would be better.
Becoming involved in the production of documentaries about women's historical contributions. <== Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Biology, Biophysics, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Physiology etc would be better.
Curating a museum dedicated to, or featuring, exhibits of creative work produced by women. <== Biology, Biophysics, Bioengineering, Physiology etc would be better.
The above list of things that a gender studies student might hypothetically pursue strikes me as bending over backwards to justify its existence.

Quote:
There are plenty of branches one could take from such a starting point, but one would have to be planning one's future as such and I think that many college students aren't.
I agree many undergraduates are not planning for the future. For such students, there is much value in strategic flexibility - and studying rigorous objective disciplines provides such flexibility whereas gender studies fails.

Quote:
As a woman, I don't have any problem at all with the idea of Men's Studies and think that it would be interesting.

But I am not sure what kind of job it would get you!
A-men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates