Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Could you elaborate on those number of times you used the gun.
Would you have been better off not owning the gun at all? Would everything still be the same?
I guess my question is it isn't often you need them, but if you need it just once it was worth it.
Well, it's been so long I'm not sure I recall the details offhand. Seems like there was a situation with a bunch of racket going on down the street. There was no need to actually use the gun or even get it out of the case, but conceivably it could have escalated.

So, yeah, I guess the outcome would have been the same whether I had firearms or not. While I doubt I'll ever need them I like having a couple of pistols and a shotgun around.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
hmmm...Lets see.
Peace on earth. People actually learning to get along. Gee, parents could actually NOT worry about their kids safety at schools or concerts. Gee the positives alone to ban guns is a sure incentive. But lets all stick to the "right" to murder whilst opposing abortion. Truly is boogling how a gun owner pickets for abortion yet rattles on about how its "their" right to legally gun down a life. I get it, let the target live a few years before you decide if their life is worth living.

Granted I am being unrealistic in a country where folks are saturated with defending themselves and forgetting to be civil.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:43 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I'm just curious I know a very small minority is talking about a total gun ban but I was wondering what you all thought the outcome would be?
The Congess has very limited ability to regulate the use of guns. That lies with the States. Some states have even refused to even abide by the limited controls that the Federal has imposed.

If the Federal government had unlimited control to regulate production, sales and transport of guns, plus gun use and excersized taht control as many European countries have done, then only the police and the "criminals" could own and use guns. That works well in Western Europe, but the mindset is totally different than in the US. So, perhaps not much would change in the US, apart from the effects of drastcally increasing the cost of owning an illegal gun.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:26 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
What is the point of this debate? Leave the status quo as is, i.e. the irrational obsession that Americans have with their precious guns that will never change, no matter how often the topic is debated. So let us stop wasting everyone's time and just leave America's 'shoot 'em up' culture be. The 'religion of the gun' is as real as any other religious belief and that's the religion of America. It's carved into stone by the finger of ...God?

It might as well be the way many preach it.

But, also get used to the idea that, as the decades pass, many hundreds more people (including many school children, some not yet born) are destined to die (it's inevitable) at the hands of someone's 'God-given' right to tote a firearm ...its only purpose being TO KILL SOMEONE! Will you (a general 'you') still be as 'gung-ho' about your right to bear arms (for protection? Come on, what a load of crap!) when your own son or daughter is lying in a pool of blood?

This is an 'American only' phenomenon and, meanwhile, the rest of the world continues to shake it's head and ask, "What the hell is wrong with America?" They certainly won't get any rational answers from reading this particular thread!

Old 02-20-2018, 04:55 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
A total gun ban would never happen, nor does it make sense in my opinion. A gun is as useful as a baseball bat without ammunition so why not just regulate the amount of ammo produced and sold. If you wanted the public to stop driving automobiles, would you ban the vehicles or would you stop the production of gasoline? Gun laws only apply to law abiding citizens anyway, so if you ban guns you will have taken away one form of protection for the law abiding citizens as the criminals will always find a way to get a gun. They are criminals and don't care about the law. Has making certain drugs illegal stopped drug use? Think outside the box to solve a problem instead of masking a problem with an unrealistic solution.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:05 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
hmmm...Lets see.
Peace on earth. People actually learning to get along. Gee, parents could actually NOT worry about their kids safety at schools or concerts. Gee the positives alone to ban guns is a sure incentive. But lets all stick to the "right" to murder whilst opposing abortion. Truly is boogling how a gun owner pickets for abortion yet rattles on about how its "their" right to legally gun down a life. I get it, let the target live a few years before you decide if their life is worth living.

Granted I am being unrealistic in a country where folks are saturated with defending themselves and forgetting to be civil.

This is a bizarre post. Do you actually think that if guns were to disappear people would magically "learn to get along" or that kids would be perfectly safe at "schools or concerts" (or anywhere else)? Take a look at murder rates in a few countries before and after gun bans. First, Britain:

Next Ireland and Jamaica:

So much for peace on earth.

In the decade after banning guns, the rate of gun crimes in England and Wales rose 89%.

Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Truly is boogling how a gun owner pickets for abortion yet rattles on about how its "their" right to legally gun down a life.
That is absurd. Knock off the hyperbole no gun owner does this. In fact, people with concealed carry permits are much more law abiding than the general public.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Roughly the same outcome as the total alcohol ban, only less successful since there are already 300 million guns in the USA and they are not gong anywhere.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:59 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
A total gun ban would never happen, nor does it make sense in my opinion. A gun is as useful as a baseball bat without ammunition so why not just regulate the amount of ammo produced and sold.<>
I can reload all my used brass and I could make my own powder if it comes to that.
It is not the mechanics that would limit this, it would be some unimaginable mass casualty event to change the minds of Americans. Think Patrick Lloyd . . .

Old 02-20-2018, 08:04 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
This is a bizarre post.<>That is absurd. Knock off the hyperbole no gun owner does this. In fact, people with concealed carry permits are much more law abiding than the general public.
Of course they are, the police in most States do an expanded vetting of applicants for CCWs. Could we settle for no semi-automatic weapons of either type allowed without that check? I kinda like that extension of the facts in your graph. It proves that a deeper check weeds out some bad people.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:17 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Does't that poster know about reloads?
I'll never have to purchase ammo again with the amount of equipment I've collected over the years. The thing is with these stupid bans, they give us years to stockpile making the bans useless. But I guess the libbies feel better... I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates