Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I can reload all my used brass and I could make my own powder if it comes to that.
It is not the mechanics that would limit this, it would be some unimaginable mass casualty event to change the minds of Americans. Think Patrick Lloyd . . .
You are certainly correct about being able to make your own. I just hate how many people think that if you ban something it disappears. Now for me, I try to stock pile ammo for the day that it becomes harder to get because personally, I couldn't see myself making my own unless I was fighting for my survival.

In the end, I don't think it is the gun or the ammo that is the problem; take them away and the criminal will use something else. The problem is the person behind the weapon and until we can figure out what to do with them we will always have this problem.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
You are certainly correct about being able to make your own. I just hate how many people think that if you ban something it disappears. Now for me, I try to stock pile ammo for the day that it becomes harder to get because personally, I couldn't see myself making my own unless I was fighting for my survival.

In the end, I don't think it is the gun or the ammo that is the problem; take them away and the criminal will use something else. The problem is the person behind the weapon and until we can figure out what to do with them we will always have this problem.
You should really look into it especially if you shoot some odd ball calibers. You can save so much money. Well, for some they'll spend more because they'll be at the range more

Old 02-20-2018, 08:43 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
The zombies would get us all.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Exactly.
BTW, I hope you save and reload your brass when it is easy to do. It is the ecologically responsible thing to do.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:26 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
So you have a total ban in place, complete and total, no guns allowed by anyone except the military, and police...

How do you go about enforcing it? I don't think it goes over very well. Do we take people at their word? Go by records of gun stores about who did a transfer at their store? Go by who held a hunting license?

Knock-knock! Mrs. Smith, we have your husband as having had a hunting license these last five years, we need to make sure there aren't any more guns in your home. How well is Mrs Smith going to take that? Its one thing to envision all this as strictly burdening a bunch of fat white rednecks, but when those chickens come home to roost its going to be way more than a basket of deplorable's that are faced with complying with the reality. And I don't think they'll like it.

I say this as a gun owner, but maybe we should have safe-storage laws, and a more strict-liability piece to our criminal code. Meaning, if your guns aren't on your person, they need to be locked in a safe. If you sell it to someone off the classifieds, you're liable if they do something criminal with it.

Something more like what it takes to get your concealed carry license; CCW permit holders aren't causing any type of trouble...

Old 02-20-2018, 09:56 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
A total gun ban is contrary to the founders' express wish.
Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation,... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the [European] governments are afraid to trust the people with arms...”
- - - James Madison, Federalist Paper #46.
The Avalon Project : Federalist No 46

. . .
● An Armed Populace Fears No Government.
● A Disarmed Populace Fears All Government.
. . .

Who is the master, and who is the servant?
". . . at the Revolution, the sovereignty devolved on the people, and they are truly the sovereigns of the country, but they are sovereigns without subjects, and have none to govern but themselves. . ."
- - - Justice John Jay, Chisholm v. Georgia, 2 U.S. 2 Dall. 419 419 (1793)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremec...CR_0002_0419_Z

No public servant in government instituted to secure Creator endowed rights has the delegated power to disarm the master, let alone trespass upon his endowments.

But the world's greatest propaganda machine has eradicated any knowledge of the republican form of government, and the innate sovereignty of the American people. How else could once sovereign people be persuaded to beg permission (license) from their servants to carry arms and pay them tribute to live, to work, to own, to buy and to sell?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:11 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, heavens, no. These are smart, able folks who've simply concluded that the benefits of their new location outweigh any negatives related to guns.

Frankly, I can see it. I could count on one hand the number of times I've had to utilize firearms to protect the house or the family and even that has been decades ago. We simply don't have a lot of violence in our area. And to be honest, I may not have the rapid reflexes I used to have anyway.
To be honest, that’s more times than I’ve seen a gun used to protect me, mine & ours. Although it has happened.

But when I think of a total gun ban, all I have to equate it to would be a Post-Katrina style Martial Law scenario. And I’m not sure if there would be any such thing as a “safe” place if this was a nationwide occurrence.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I'm just curious I know a very small minority is talking about a total gun ban but I was wondering what you all thought the outcome would be?
A safer society, in the long run.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Think about this: How well has the "War On Drugs" done over the last decade or so? How much money has been spent fighting this "war"? How many lives have been lost? How much has been spent on medical care for drug users? How effective has the "war" been in stopping backyard meth labs?

And, think about this: How well did the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution work? It only lasted from 1919 to 1933, and organized crime grew and flourished during that period!

Please remember, when comparing the laws of the United States to other countries: We, the People of the United States, do not think like the British, nor do we think like the Australians, or the peoples of any other country. It is, quite simply, a fallacy to believe that we will EVER think like the citizens of those countries. You might think that we would be better off if we did think like they do, but there are a lot of us who do not agree.

Outlawing the AR-15 will accomplish nothing. There are rifles readily available that will shoot just as fast, and farther, than that aluminum and plastic piece of junk(my opinion of it).
Establishing a waiting period will accomplish nothing. The Florida shooter bought his rifle a year ago!
Enhanced background checks will accomplish nothing. Many of the recent shooters passed the background check because nothing was ever reported about them, including the Florida shooter! Putting somebody on a "list" because their neighbor doesn't like them just might be a violation of their civil (Constitutional) rights. The Supreme Court will have to decide about that.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,626,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
So you have a total ban in place, complete and total, no guns allowed by anyone except the military, and police...

How do you go about enforcing it? I don't think it goes over very well. Do we take people at their word? Go by records of gun stores about who did a transfer at their store? Go by who held a hunting license?

Knock-knock! Mrs. Smith, we have your husband as having had a hunting license these last five years, we need to make sure there aren't any more guns in your home. How well is Mrs Smith going to take that? Its one thing to envision all this as strictly burdening a bunch of fat white rednecks, but when those chickens come home to roost its going to be way more than a basket of deplorable's that are faced with complying with the reality. And I don't think they'll like it.

I say this as a gun owner, but maybe we should have safe-storage laws, and a more strict-liability piece to our criminal code. Meaning, if your guns aren't on your person, they need to be locked in a safe. If you sell it to someone off the classifieds, you're liable if they do something criminal with it.

Something more like what it takes to get your concealed carry license; CCW permit holders aren't causing any type of trouble...
Why would the police need guns if none of the citizens had any ?
And if you take their guns away, a lot of them would quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates