Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It has not been proved one way or the other. Were it proved, this thread would not exist. That has been acknowleged.

Even identical twins have differences, so that example/study does not fly.

At the end of the day, none of us know--- yet. We are just theorizing. But I will say again that there is no way I could learn to be gay. None whatsoever. Impossible. There it is.

Some may be theorizing, but many have said they believe it is inborn, that people are born that way. Very few posts have I read that state that it's only a theory.

You say that there is no way you could learn to be gay. Are you sure? Maybe there is something out there we don't know about that gives us inclinations for being gay? Can't really say though because it's just a theory. But I believe it wholeheartedly because, well I just know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
It has not been proved one way or the other. Were it proved, this thread would not exist. That has been acknowleged.
Well, that's mostly what I've been trying to say.

Quote:
Okay...I didn't realize that. I'd been wondering about that argument, because I don't know enough about identical twins to say one thing or another.

Quote:
At the end of the day, none of us know--- yet. We are just theorizing.
Agreed.

Quote:
But I will say again that there is no way I could learn to be gay. None whatsoever. Impossible. There it is.
Well, no one suggested such a thing.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:

At the end of the day, none of us know--- yet. We are just theorizing. But I will say again that there is no way I could learn to be gay. None whatsoever. Impossible. There it is.
Moth, you're protesting so much! Nobody said you were gay, could be gay, will be gay one day, nothing personal. You don't have to keep insisting that you're not gay. No one is accusing you.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I agree with you--I was just pointing out that if you simply say "people are born that way and can't help it" and that's your argument in favor of the GLBTQ community, someone will always trot out John Wayne Gacy (well, not necessarily him specifically). I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just saying that the semantics, I guess, allow for people to bring up that argument if you don't qualify it by saying that gay people and serial killers are apples and oranges. Then they say it's a slippery slope and ask if they have are required to accept gay people because they are born that way, what else are they being asked to accept on that basis?
Well sure, they'll trot out all kinds of things. Does not make them right. At the end of the day, the beginning actually, gays and serial killers have nothing in common so such analogies would be moot.

And as human existence is imperfect and prone to error, we have to understand that it can produce both a Mother Theresa and an Adolf Hitler. That does not make Hitler acceptable for he must still be held to account and punished. So it is with Gacy. I do not know what caused him, but nonetheless he did wrong and must be punished and contained. You, as a gay person, have done nothing wrong and are a threat to noone.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Some may be theorizing, but many have said they believe it is inborn, that people are born that way. Very few posts have I read that state that it's only a theory.

You say that there is no way you could learn to be gay. Are you sure? Maybe there is something out there we don't know about that gives us inclinations for being gay? Can't really say though because it's just a theory. But I believe it wholeheartedly because, well I just know.
Yes I am very sure and have explained why I know that in previous posts.

Inclinations? Anything is possible, but I see nothing that supports it. And if you indeed "just know" then you would just know what the inclination is.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:03 AM

517 posts, read 2,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I didn't say you didn't.

If what you said was the case, then we'd have to accept harmful paraphelias (sp?) such as pedophilia because we think people are born that way, and so that makes it OK. I think we'd do better to accept gay people, for example, because they aren't hurting anyone by being gay, not because they "cannot help it." Otherwise, someone starts comparing gay people to John Wayne Gacy inevitably, because if I recall correctly, he said he couldn't help it, either.
Discussing whether pedophilia or sociopathic behavior is in-born or learned is a whole separate debate. On top of that, I don't think that anyone here is advocating for acceptance of behaviors that are not between consenting adults. So trying to compare homosexuality to serial killers is completely off-base.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Discussing whether pedophilia or sociopathic behavior is in-born or learned is a whole separate debate. On top of that, I don't think that anyone here is advocating for acceptance of behaviors that are not between consenting adults. So trying to compare homosexuality to serial killers is completely off-base.
The point was innateness as a legitimizer. It spoke to that point brilliantly.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
The point was innateness as a legitimizer. It spoke to that point brilliantly.
Making an analogy between homosexuals and pedophiles or serial killers is brilliant? Comparing a harmless, consensual activity to nefarious and antisocial behavior is brilliant? I think not and you would have work really hard to persuade me, and I reckon most people, otherwise.

Ironic that 3 individuals, two of whom are probably gay themselves, are supporting the same school of thought that homophobes preach. That is self-defeating to say the least.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
As a gay man I believe that homosexuality is genetic.

I often wonder why the question seems to be so important. If it were proven that homosexuality is chosen, or genetic what difference would it make, there are still going to people who refuse to accept homosexuals as equal human beings...

Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
As a gay man I believe that homosexuality is genetic.

I often wonder why the question seems to be so important. If it were proven that homosexuality is chosen, or genetic what difference would it make, there are still going to people who refuse to accept homosexuals as equal human beings...
I think most of us are just curious.

You are correct that there would still be hateful people. Nonetheless if you take "learned behavior" out of the calculus, it might go a long way to winning more acceptance. I know a good many gays and more than a few homophobes. Most of the latter promote some form of the notion that if a straight person spends significant time with a gay person, they will become gay themselves. I think that incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates