Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 06:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
6.5 vs. 7.0 hours? That 30 minutes would be much better spent taking a good walk than just hitting the snooze button.

For the record, not getting enough sleep contributes to obesity. I never advocating getting by on 3 hours of sleep so you can exercise, that's crazy. I suggest organizing your schedule so that you have 7-8 hours of sleep and 30 minutes of exercise everyday. It's not hard to do if you make it a priority. According to the CDC, adults typically need 7-9 hours of sleep per night. CDC Features - Sleep and Sleep Disorders
What part of 'at least' don't you get? The studies on which the CDC base that data were conducted by placing individuals in a low-light room (light enough to see, low enough to fall asleep easily). The light was kept at a constant level and people were allowed to sleep whenever they wanted. They averaged 7-9 hours sleep per night (interestingly, before electricity was invented, people averaged 9-10 hours/night). That being said, it IS somewhat genetic (as another posted claimed) so some people can get by on much less. Those people are often the exception rather than the rule. The 'test' to see if you are getting enough sleep is very simple. If you allow yourself to 'sleep in' on a day when you don't have to wake up at any given time and you are able to sleep longer than you normally do, then you are not getting enough sleep. If you need to hit the snooze button, you are not getting enough sleep. Another interesting fact - if you pull one all nighter, you have to sleep extra for an average of 10 days to make up for it.

So I have studied sleep. Most people don't have the time for exercise plus eight hours of sleep today (unfortunately), but it IS a balance. Both are important...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:43 AM

530 posts, read 650,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What part of 'at least' don't you get? The studies on which the CDC base that data were conducted by placing individuals in a low-light room (light enough to see, low enough to fall asleep easily). The light was kept at a constant level and people were allowed to sleep whenever they wanted. They averaged 7-9 hours sleep per night (interestingly, before electricity was invented, people averaged 9-10 hours/night). That being said, it IS somewhat genetic (as another posted claimed) so some people can get by on much less. Those people are often the exception rather than the rule. The 'test' to see if you are getting enough sleep is very simple. If you allow yourself to 'sleep in' on a day when you don't have to wake up at any given time and you are able to sleep longer than you normally do, then you are not getting enough sleep. If you need to hit the snooze button, you are not getting enough sleep. Another interesting fact - if you pull one all nighter, you have to sleep extra for an average of 10 days to make up for it.

So I have studied sleep. Most people don't have the time for exercise plus eight hours of sleep today (unfortunately), but it IS a balance. Both are important...
LOL, i pulled two all nighters this week and managed to work 76 hrs, from monday to sunday, you do the math. I always, even on days off wake by 5 am, my body is just used to that, also, isn't it part habit? If you train your body to wake each day at a given time, it mostly will. I usually wake up about 5 min before my alarm goes off, i use that time to plan my day, lunch, workout ect. I'm not saying this is possible for everyone and especially those who are over weight ( they tend to need more sleep than average). My arguement is that you can find some time to exercise. I like to run the stairs at the hospital. I run from the ER to the 10th floor then back down. It only takes less than ten min or so and i do it about 5-8 times a night at different times. people can find time. At the supermarket park as far away from the door as you can and power walk to and from your car. Little things add up. Everyone can find 10 min three times a day and get their heartrates up enough to do some good. If you are stuck at a desk, then do some deep yoga stretches thats better than nothing. If you want it bad enough you'll do it, and if you don't you'll always have an excuse!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
LOL, i pulled two all nighters this week and managed to work 76 hrs, from monday to sunday, you do the math. I always, even on days off wake by 5 am, my body is just used to that, also, isn't it part habit? If you train your body to wake each day at a given time, it mostly will. I usually wake up about 5 min before my alarm goes off, i use that time to plan my day, lunch, workout ect. I'm not saying this is possible for everyone and especially those who are over weight ( they tend to need more sleep than average). My arguement is that you can find some time to exercise. I like to run the stairs at the hospital. I run from the ER to the 10th floor then back down. It only takes less than ten min or so and i do it about 5-8 times a night at different times. people can find time. At the supermarket park as far away from the door as you can and power walk to and from your car. Little things add up. Everyone can find 10 min three times a day and get their heartrates up enough to do some good. If you are stuck at a desk, then do some deep yoga stretches thats better than nothing. If you want it bad enough you'll do it, and if you don't you'll always have an excuse!
I am just quoting the studies...there is an exception to every rule.

If you work in a hospital (doctor maybe?) then you already know doctors cut years off their lives due to their overwork/lack of sleep. The average doctor lives 10 years shorter than the average American. Just a fun fact for you!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I am just quoting the studies...there is an exception to every rule.

If you work in a hospital (doctor maybe?) then you already know doctors cut years off their lives due to their overwork/lack of sleep. The average doctor lives 10 years shorter than the average American. Just a fun fact for you!
Actually I'm a Nurse Practitioner. I'm not saying i plan to do this forever, but i am young and in good shape and in 10 yrs i can retire, to and island and enjoy. I also want to add, that i haven't always been thin( i wouldn't even call myself that now). I was married to a man who didn't like me running or going to the gym, after my daughter was born, i quit( i also had a bad pregnacy and couldn't exercise due to health reasons) so it creaped up on me..I woke up six yrs ago to find myself divorced 26 yr old with a 5 yr old 5'5" and 226 lbs. I knew i was gaining the weight, but i was married, and my husband actually liked me fat.
That was the day I decided my life was for me and I needed to be happy. So I started to exercise, watch what I ate ( no fast food, it's the devil...lol). It took me about a yr but I have keep the weight off, now i weigh 135-140 lbs which for my height is healthy. I'm nor rail thin, and don't want to be, plus i have rather large breast so it would look funny...lol. Anyway, I have been there, and I know it's not easy. I also am not advocating anyone trying to sleep less than they need to. I have always been a short sleeper and often dream less than a few min after i go to sleep ( i've done a sleep study while in school). So maybe like i said i reach REM faster and longer than most.
What I am saying is that six yrs and almost 100 pds later, I'm happier. No depression, anxiety,or health problems. I actually crave exercise, and often feel terrible if i don't do some form of it everyday. Your body grows a habit. It takes 21 days. 21 days to build or break any habit. So for 21 days try to find time to exercise and I bet your body will crave it. Anyone can exercise for 21 days. Moderate exercise is enough. Ten minutes before each meal. If you want it bad enough, you can achieve it!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:15 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Doesn't help when stores, food carts, vendomats, etc.,.. charge MORE for the healthier items.
Why not charge more for the fattening foods instead ???

Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times
True, I have heard about "food additives" by manufacturers that have addictive and fattening values.
I know "moderation" is the key when one sits down to eat and/or drink.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Doesn't help when stores, food carts, vendomats, etc.,.. charge MORE for the healthier items.
Thee same reason you can get a burger at McD's for $1.00. It's to hook you on the crap. Especially cheese and other dairy release "feel goods" into your blood stream. Then you go back for more. Have you watched super size me? if you do you'll never eat fast food again. Also try farmers markets, you can usually get veggies and fruit there cheaper( and usually they are better for you). Make friends with someone who has a garden or grow one. My family has 5 acres we plant for a garden every yr plus a small orchard of fruit trees and berries. We give tons of it away to keep from wasting it. Also its small choices too. Eat Whole grain bread instead of white ( same price) wait until they have a sale and stock up on healthy meats like fish ( they usually go on sale tuesdays or wednesday) Buy frozen veggies instead of canned ( same price alot less salt). Also try this, pick a fruit with alot of fiber( i like apples or pears) and eat three small ones a day about 1 hr before your meals( they fill you up and clean you out). I do not do dairy also because of the research i have done on it, but i do soy and rice based products instead. I will be glad to give anyone tips or help if i can.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post

Supply and demand has a lot to do with it.
These days people are demanding healthier foods so the price is up. The venerable cheeseburger is commonly selling for a buck because there is less demand for the time being.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Supply and demand has a lot to do with it.
These days people are demanding healthier foods so the price is up. The venerable cheeseburger is commonly selling for a buck because there is less demand for the time being.
Less demand for a cheeseburger? Funny to me because everyone i drive by is always crowded ,especially McD's. Eating out has become americas new favorite past time. Where i live the average wait on a table in a rest. at night is 30 min to 1hr 30 min. With all those people eating out, i wonder who's actually cooking these days?
The american people have become spoiled to convience. Everyone wants what they want, when they want it and as long as your willing to pay the food industry in this country is willing to supply.
I think that if everyone started truely eating healthy, the farms could afford to pproduce more so there would be more supply and the cost would go down. Look at the amount of meat and dairy the average person eats a yr as opossed to veggies. A brocolli farmer can't afford to grow what a livestock farmer can kill! Maybe the supply side of this is more the problem than the demand side!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:

EVERYONE has time to exercise. MOST people make excuses to not do it. Simple as that. Own your excuses/justification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates