Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
No, I don't believe in 2012 - it's not a fixed date, and dependent upon many factors. But unless the U.S.A. cuts consumption of fossil fuels, it's not far off.

Oil reserves in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Proven oil reserves in the United States are 21 billion barrels (3.3×10^9 m3), excluding the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. The U.S. Department of the Interior estimates the total volume of undiscovered, technically recoverable prospective resources in all areas of the United States, including the Federal Outer Continental Shelf, the 1002 area of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, the National Petroleum Reserve–Alaska, and the Bakken Formation, total 134 billion barrels (21.3×10^9 m3) of crude oil. This excludes oil shale reserves, as there is no significant commercial production of oil from oil shale in the United States.
1 billion barrels of oil = one month U.S. consumption (2007 - last year of "booming" economy)
TOTAL OIL RESERVES = 134 months (11 years)

Oil reserves in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Proven oil reserves in Saudi Arabia are the largest in the world, estimated to be 267 billion barrels (42×10^9 m3) including 2.5 billion barrels in the Saudi-Kuwaiti neutral zone. This is around one-fifth of the world's total conventional oil reserves.
1 billion barrels of oil = one month U.S. consumption (2007)

Ergo, if the U.S. bought ALL of that reserve, it would last 267 months (22 years).
2 years to exhaust U.S. reserves, if we do nothing.
11 years to exhaust U.S. domestic supply, by drilling everything.
22 years to exhaust Saudi supply.

Options:
  • do nothing, collapse in 5 years.
  • drill, baby drill, collapse in 11 years.
  • convert to higher efficiency 6 stroke engines, collapse in 11 years.
  • convert to hybrids, collapse in 9 years.
  • fight over dwindling oil supplies, collapse.
  • tax fossil fuels, attempt to transition to solar, collapse.
  • transition to coal economy, poison everything, run out in 50 years, collapse.
  • build rails, switch to electric trains, tax fossil fuels, go "Green", still not enough power, collapse.
  • build ring villages, go renewable, fight over the scraps, and collapse.
D'Oh... Expletive Deleted!
and the sad fact is it's all true..crisis management at work..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
and the sad fact is it's all true..crisis management at work..
There ain't no crisis.

Why is it that people from realitively rich nations alway worry about the worst hapening? Is it because life for them is good, and they have nothing else for the emotional side of their brains to worry about? I think that must be it.

We are not running out of oil. There is more oil under the rocky mountains, in the form of oil shale, than ALL of the known reserves added together. And YES, at $40 a barrel it is economically feasible to pursue it.

So, everybody, chill. Life is good. It really is.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
In my mind, an ‘apocalypse’ is the end of our species: you know, the sun blows up, a black whole consumes our solar system, a virus is incurable and wipes every last person out, etc.

I don’t consider running out of oil an apocalypse. It would be a bad situation. A lot of people would die. However, our species has existed for, what, about 99.9% of its timeline without the help of crude oil? In the event of that oil barrel drying up, whoever remained would find a way. Our existence would be much changed, but has it ever been a constant?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM

749 posts, read 946,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Actually I'm more concerned about could happen to the U.S. by 2010 or 2011.
We will be a divided country literally. More than one country.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:45 PM

749 posts, read 946,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That will match up pretty close to the complete proliferation of nuclear weapons throughout the most tense part of the world.... Just sayin'.... I guess it will depend on how many have the red button syndrome.

Didn't Hilary give the red button away to that Russian dude a few months back?

Old 05-29-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbs42 View Post
Didn't Hilary give the red button away to that Russian dude a few months back?
Close, but it wasn't Hillary that gave it away. It was Al Gore.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:02 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times
I have a strong psychic belief that the world will end on New Years Eve, 1989....wait, you're telling me that it's 2009? Wait, you're telling me that I stole this quote from Ghostbuster's II?

Seriously, who gives a ****? You may die tomorrow or you may die in 2099. Play your cards as best as they're dealt.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Seriously, who gives a ****? You may die tomorrow or you may die in 2099. Play your cards as best as they're dealt.
This is true. And what's more, when you look at the odds...NOBODY, not a single person, has EVER been right about fixing a date for the end of the world. (Yeah, it's true; someday, someone probably will be. But when that day comes, being right won't count for a whole lot!)

Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This is true. And what's more, when you look at the odds...NOBODY, not a single person, has EVER been right about fixing a date for the end of the world. (Yeah, it's true; someday, someone probably will be. But when that day comes, being right won't count for a whole lot!)
The "end of the world" is a silly religious concept.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:15 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
The "end of the world" is a silly religious concept.
So you're telling me the sun going supernova is a silly religious concept? And that this silly religious concept won't eventually happen? And that this silly religious concept won't obliterate this planet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates