Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
Some people feel harassed if a person wearing a uniform looks at them, smiles and waves. Read some of these posts. If you allow x, the police will be kicking down your door. If you allow y, you will be taken away for re-education. SOME people are not exactly living in the common sense world.
No, More like

If you allow x, the police can be kicking down your door. If you allow y, you can be taken away for re-education.

Do you really trust your police and your government to resist the temptation to do that to you if they can? Do you think our troops overseas are risking their lives for our freedom and liberty? Only to return stateside and find that you have already given it away right here at home?

The Bill of Rights is not about rights that people have. It is about rights the government does not have.
------------------------
Swagger, if the Europeans are copying us, like you say they are, they will soon be requiring passports at their borders. Umm----maybe I'm making too generous an assumption about you. You do know what a country is don't you?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-01-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, More like

If you allow x, the police can be kicking down your door. If you allow y, you can be taken away for re-education.

Do you really trust your police and your government to resist the temptation to do that to you if they can? Do you think our troops overseas are fighting for our freedom and liberty? Only to return stateside and find that you have already given it away right here at home?

The Bill of Rights is not about rights that people have. It is about rights the government does not have.
------------------------
Swagger, if the Europeans are copying us, like you say they are, they will soon be requiring passports at their borders.
I've been keeping a secret here because so many of you think cops are crooks, pigs and worse... And they can't wait to bust your doors down...

I have four retired and three active duty Houston Police Officers in my family and I have yet to hear of any of them kicking any doors in.

Ya better watch out jtur88, we hunt around where you live....LOL..

And their sister lives down the street from you...LOL

Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

I have four retired and three active duty Houston Police Officers in my family and I have yet to hear of any of them kicking any doors in.
Of course not. They can't. Not until JDTD gets the law changed the way he wants it to be, which would legalize x and y. Then your cop friends can be ordered by their superiors to kick doors down. What will they do then?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Quote:
Who would have thought we'd see the day when a German could go to France with no ID at all, but an American would need a passport to go to Canada.
Been like that forever. The Germans waltzed right thru France not long ago. I guess somehow making it easier & less secure is better eh.

Quote:
We need fewer Patriot Acts and more patriotic acts, like storming the gates of power and throwing the bastrads out.
Keep working against individual rights & supporting gun control. You cant pick & choose, you support restrictions that violate the constitution & then make a statement like this?

Quote:
Where are the protesters? Instead of burning draft cards, we should be burning Enhanced IDs. Our college campuses have become hotbeds of rest.
Why protest, now that Obama's in control all is perfect aint it?

Give the liberals what they clamor for & they still whine.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Quote:
No, More like

Isn't that what you usually rant in support of? A stronger gov't & less rights for the people?

Quote:
Do you really trust your police and your government to resist the temptation to do that to you if they can?
Dont you? If not then why support liberal policies that virtually always take from us for our own good?

Quote:
Do you think our troops overseas are risking their lives for our freedom and liberty? Only to return stateside and find that you have already given it away right here at home?
You sound like a conservative today.

Quote:
Yep, they dont have a right to infringe on something we are suposed to use to toss the basturds out. See if you can guess what it is & see how you have been helping them.
------------------------
Quote:
Swagger, if the Europeans are copying us, like you say they are, they will soon be requiring passports at their borders. Umm----maybe I'm making too generous an assumption about you. You do know what a country is don't you?
Your comprehension skills lack. He said WE should NOT follow their lead. Nothing about them following us.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Of course not. They can't. Not until JDTD gets the law changed the way he wants it to be, which would legalize x and y. Then your cop friends can be ordered by their superiors to kick doors down. What will they do then?
Their not just friends, they ARE family...

And I've sit here on CD and watched them called about ever name under the sun.

It takes a search warrant or an arrest warrant to kick in a door. Then it's legal to do so.
I have no problem with that, and I am sure they don't either. It's their job, in the past 3 or 4 years 2 of their fellow officers have been killed in the line of duty just doing that job...They knew both of them, one of them was an ex-partner.. So you see it's more than just eating donuts at the local donut shop.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
How come all the countries in western Europe can think of so many reasons why no passport is required? Belgium borders on four countreis. No passport needed anywhere. On many roads, there isn't even a sign saying "Entering Belgium". But, of course, Belgium has no freedom, so nobody hates Belgium, because terrorists only hate freedom...
Europeans generally don't live in fear like many Americans do. They don't seem to poke their nose in others' affairs either, and a result is that they can be their own self, while we can't. Decades of politics gone wrong and an attitude of the people inspired by that politics has put us in a place where being vigilant has become a necessary evil.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:12 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Re-read my post and try again. I think you missed the whole point.

Oh, and I love the snide insult at the end. I thought that kind of thing wasn't allowed in this forum. But your resorting to it does tell me all that I need to know about the strength of your argument.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Re-read my post and try again. I think you missed the whole point.

Oh, and I love the snide insult at the end. I thought that kind of thing wasn't allowed in this forum. But your resorting to it does tell me all that I need to know about the strength of your argument.
OK, I reread your post. I guess I was thrown off when you said Kansas and Oklahoma are just like Holland and Belgium, only bigger. Whether it is allowed in this forum or not, you do know the difference between a country and a US state, don't you?

Why shouldn't we make sure people are crossing legally? Because our entire nation is founded on the principle that people are presumed to be doing things legally until there is probable cause to believe they are not. Which is why Houston's family of cops has to have a warrant showing probable cause of criminality, before they can break down a door. What is your probable cause that I am illegal, if I drive to Canada for a weekend of sightseeing or shopping? As an American, I don't take it lightly when I am subjected to a presumption of guilt. Especially a presumption of guilt of terrorism.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 AM

339 posts, read 707,183 times
Quote:
We're talking about border protection, and I'm just pointing out extreme paranoia by some people. You aint that important jtur88. I don't think that the police are coming to your house to check "whatever" anytime soon.

I really like you even though we have our little spats. I mostly like you because you often point out these EXTREME examples of what you think could happen. I sometimes feel like I'm listening to my mom telling me to not make faces or my face will eventually get stuck like "that". You often help my arguments more than you hurt them even by people who really want to agree with you. Thanks BTW.

On a serious note. I have no desire to change anything the way I want it to be, but I do have a desire to protect the border. And...I know that I'm not so important or doing anything so nefarious that it would warrant any law enforcement entity to take extra time out of their day to kick my door in. That's all.

Now where's my tinfoil. I need to make another helmet. Shhhhh...that's really the secret for keeping "them" away. Oh no. Another black helicopter just flew over. Time to re-spray paint the windows.

Last edited by JDTD; 06-01-2009 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: context
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates