Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 11:31 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Can you link to a few of those studies? It would help to post your sources.
No problem. I didn't save links to all of the studies I've read over the years, but I'll try to go back and find some of them.

My Beef with Beef | Mark's Daily Apple

This article has a link to a study that particularly caught my eye, it contains a link to a study showing increased cancer risk from consuming a higher amount of meat. I'll post some more later.

While I don't eat fish/white meat for mainly non-health related reasons, they are not very dangerous health wise (excluding fried chicken :-P). Red meat is what can kill you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
This article has a link to a study that particularly caught my eye, it contains a link to a study showing increased cancer risk from consuming a higher amount of meat. I'll post some more later.
I thought the study concerned increased breast cancer risk from growth hormones in beef not meat consumption.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
No problem. I didn't save links to all of the studies I've read over the years, but I'll try to go back and find some of them.

My Beef with Beef | Mark's Daily Apple

While I don't eat fish/white meat for mainly non-health related reasons, they are not very dangerous health wise (excluding fried chicken :-P). Red meat is what can kill you.

First of all you posted commentary, not a study. There is a big difference.

second of all, what you posted does not address the question!

From the article:

Quote:
1) Processed meats generally contain a chemical known as heterocyclic acid, which has been shown to cause cancer;

2) Red meat, of course, contains iron, which can sometimes encourage the growth of some types of tumors (though this isn’t a significant concern, likely);
1. I never talked of processed meats. I get my beef from a local farmer. Natually raised, no artifical chemicals used.

2. Iron IS essential to a proper diet. An execess of iron is what might cause tumors. It is common knowledge that red meat in excess is bad for you (as is eating nothing but tofu). You still haven't shown any proof that red meat (in the correct proportion for a healthy diet - a fact I thought was obvious) is bad for your health.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:59 PM

117 posts, read 394,646 times
KIll it and Grill It!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:36 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wouldn't be nearly as bad as eating a bushel of ground beef patties. When applies can be picked right off the tree in the fall, it is not unusual for me to eat a couple of pounds in a day. I'd sure never eat a two-pound steak, or eight quarter-pounders in a day.

By "overconsumption", he meant a supersized meal or a buffet spread, not a bushel. Let us know when you get back to this planet.
Good greif! You have the sense of humor of a Grizzly bear with a sore tooth!! Let us know when you can lighten up and be a human GD being.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,686 times
You people are barbarians. Before I eat beef I insist that they lop off the horns and wipe its ass before putting it on my plate. It's the only way to ensure the steer goes down in a humane and dignified way.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
There are numerous studies showing that (mostly with red-meat) there is a definite increased risk of cancer and heart-related issues even with normal-sized portions of meat. Also, I won't even get into the thousands of Americans that are getting sick from contaminated meat each year.

Let's look at your example of the "undisciplined" person whom cannot control their quantities. If you eat over-consume meat, odds are that you will get unhealthy and fat. On the contrary, if you "over-consume" fruits and vegetables, if anything, you are probably just making yourself much healthier.
You may want to look up the research of Vilhjalmur Stefansson about the Inuit diet. It has met with a lot of controversy, but has been supported to greater effect than it has been attacked. He lived with the Inuit and noted that their extremely low-carb diet (3/4 or more of the calories in a traditional Inuit diet are derived from animal fat) did not result in degradation of their health or his while he studied.

Even a predominantly carnivorous diet isn't a huge problem for the human machine. The problem is enormous calorie surplus, sedentary lifestyle, the accumulation of adipose tissue and, as someone else said, fake foods.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
On the other hand, the people of the Caucasus mountain region north of Turkey have legendary longevity, frequently living will past 100, with a diet low in meat proteins.

Trivia on Health and Old Age Places with High Longevity: Transcaucasia Part 3 | Trivia Library

In these Caucasian areas of great longevity, the diet consists largely of milk in the form of cheese and buttermilk; vegetables such as green onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and cabbage; meat including chicken, beef, young goat, and--in winter--pork; and fruits, particularly grapes. The long-lived people consume a surprising 1,700 to 1,900 calories a day, considerably more, according to Dr. Leaf, than for people of advanced age elsewhere in the world. Seventy percent of the calories come from vegetables, with an average of 70 to 90 gm. of protein which is largely derived from milk rather than meat. Cheese is eaten daily in the Caucasus, but it is low in fat content. The daily fat intake is around 50 gm.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
The term 'balanced diet' is used for a reason. Humans need nutrients from many different sources. Veggies and grains cannot provide all the required nutrients on their own, nor can meat. Sure, you can use supplements and such, but for me, I'll put the meat and veggies on the same plate and enjoy my food.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
There are numerous studies showing that (mostly with red-meat) there is a definite increased risk of cancer and heart-related issues even with normal-sized portions of meat. Also, I won't even get into the thousands of Americans that are getting sick from contaminated meat each year.

Let's look at your example of the "undisciplined" person whom cannot control their quantities. If you eat over-consume meat, odds are that you will get unhealthy and fat. On the contrary, if you "over-consume" fruits and vegetables, if anything, you are probably just making yourself much healthier.
Why did you ignore my post about the Inuit? They proved otherwise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates