Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:49 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Ray-X View Post
How do you know that these people you are talking about are basing their beliefs on what a politician says? How do you know that they have not researched it themselves?

i don't. i'll admit i'm assuming. i think however its an accurate assumption!!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
For someone with no clue on the topic you seem to have some awfully strong opinions on what others (that have studied the topic) seem to think and how they should be allowed to communicate thier thoughts.

I imagine you probably go ballistic when talking about something you have studied and meeting some obtuse person who blows you off your input because they haven't studied it yet.
strong views on evolution? not at all. the whole point is that i don't really have a view and consider that there MIGHT be another explanation for our existence or perhaps darwin was right.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

They are ALL TRANSITIONAL.

like your accommodation?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i never said that i believed evolution to be false, i just said that i don't necessarily believe it to be true because i haven't sat down with the origin of species and looked into the evidence presented. i can guarantee you though that sandycat 'the all knowing' has never read darwin, been to the galapagos or the cradle of mankind etc. i can guarantee you that it bases its opinions solely on its 5th grade textbook and regurgitated 2nd hand wisdom like almost everyone else
I've been to the Olduvai Gorge (cradle of mankind) and talked to the Leakeys. I've also read the Little Golden Book of Bible Stories in my doctor's waiting room, which presented to me exactly the same views of religion that most of my Christians friends use as their "proof" of intelligent design, at pretty much the same level of logic and reason and historical accuracy. Does that make me knowledgeable enough?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Ah, hit the nail on the head with what's wrong with many people. They believe what they are going to believe and that's it, no more education or knowledge needed. Anything that doesn't fit their world view is dead wrong, no matter how much proof there is for or against the various different theories. It's a kind of forceful ignorance due to finding things that only one agrees with, truth is irrelevant because one might be wrong or might have to change. It happens in many areas of life sadly.

thank you subsound

Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
It is pretty rare to have people argue that ignorance should be considered a point of view.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:12 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
If it is from a pig, then let us disregard it. Just because some scientists made a mistake, does not mean a whole theory is false. That is just irrational.

And second, what I pointed out was a form of logical fallacy. What you pointed out was anecdotal.

Question: Do you understand the fault in using an argument based on 'infinite regression'?
Considering that it's actually "Infinite Regress", you might begin to wonder if I know more about it than you do.

Question: Do you understand the dilemma presented by the absence of hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:16 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Do you understand the dilemma presented by the absence of hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms?
Objection, your Honor! The question assumes facts not in evidence.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM

136 posts, read 235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Considering that it's actually "Infinite Regress", you might begin to wonder if I know more about it than you do.

Question: Do you understand the dilemma presented by the absence of hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms?
HAHAHAHA! You typed 'infinite regression' into a search engine and saw that the Wikipedia page for it was titled 'infinite regress'!

Do you not understand different forms of words in the English language? This is seriously too funny to be true!

I'm just going to say this: We are on different levels, and I mean that in the most pejorative way possible.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:20 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Objection, your Honor! The question assumes facts not in evidence.
Ahhhh... So the absence of hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms is NOT relevant to the credibility of the theory of evolution.

Gotcha!

By all means then, I can claim that you stole $10,000 from me, and need to give it back. I need no evidence. You just did it. Now pay up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates