U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,337,825 times
Reputation: 8606

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
the only reason i bothered to bring this up is because it seems to take up some time in presidential debates and people tend to get quite hot under the collar. personally i couldn't think of anything more irrelevant but here is my take on the topic:

i don't believe in evolution like i don't believe in 99% of the subjective nonsense which was taught to me at school! let me just clarify why:
i don't believe in evolution because it is not a topic which i consider worthy enough of my time to research all the evidence for and against. unless i have personally had the time to sit down and mull over the facts, i don't really believe in anything! i just cannot take for granted what other people spout as fact. this is not to say that i disagree with darwin's theory just that i reserve the right to not have an opinion. as an atheist though i don't believe in creationism but that's a topic for another thread.

the thing i find puzzling though is how the left wing intellegentsia is uber critical of conservative politicians views on the issue. they spout out darwin's words as undeniable. they never seem to want to bring up any of his later work namely, 'the descent of man' commonly recognized to have been an instrumental idea in the Holocaust.
Oh the old,

"I don't need all your fancy science" argument.

I suppose all you needed to learn in school was how to count to 100, read at a 6th grade level, and how to write a check.

Children today have to know more to compete in our complex society. Where would we be without the scientists who learned physics, evolution, chemistry, and history in their schools?

The reason the "left" as you call them fight so hard against creationism being taught in school, is because there is no facts that show that the world is only 6000 years old, and that humans cohabitated with dinosaurs, or that a global flood killed every living thing on the planet, with the exception of one mans family and 2 of each chosen animal.

I didn't think every class I took in school had a purpose, but I'm a better individual for learning them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:33 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 4,566,245 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBurgBK View Post
It is ignorance when you admittedly choose not research it because it is "not worth your time". What's worse, is that you are willfully ignorant.

How can you legitimately dissent from an idea when your idea is not founded on any logic/research/reality?

People probably don't take what you say seriously because you admittedly do not think it is worth your time to know things. Here's a tip: If you want to argue Evolution, go research it. If you want to argue Abiogenesis, go research it. You just cannot legitimately argue anything if you are ignorant of the topic. Nobody will take you seriously.
you just don't get it. i don't dissent from any idea. the mere fact that we don't have bullet proof evidence proving the theory of evolution means that i would be open to all ideas. what i object to is people like sandycat and mercury cougar's position that if you don't subscribe to evolution as fact then you're an ignoramus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,337,825 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
you just don't get it. i don't dissent from any idea. the mere fact that we don't have bullet proof evidence proving the theory of evolution means that i would be open to all ideas. what i object to is people like sandycat and mercury cougar's position that if you don't subscribe to evolution as fact then you're an ignoramus

We don't have bullet proof evidence of the Theory of Relativity as well.

However, I bet you've got no problem with teaching children E=MC^2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 4,566,245 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Oh the old,

"I don't need all your fancy science" argument.

I suppose all you needed to learn in school was how to count to 100, read at a 6th grade level, and how to write a check.

Children today have to know more to compete in our complex society. Where would we be without the scientists who learned physics, evolution, chemistry, and history in their schools?

The reason the "left" as you call them fight so hard against creationism being taught in school, is because there is no facts that show that the world is only 6000 years old, and that humans cohabitated with dinosaurs, or that a global flood killed every living thing on the planet, with the exception of one mans family and 2 of each chosen animal.

I didn't think every class I took in school had a purpose, but I'm a better individual for learning them.

another person who didn't read my entire opening post. for f---sake, i'm not a creationist, i'm just open to the idea that there might be another explanation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
136 posts, read 202,333 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post

i don't believe in evolution like i don't believe in 99% of the subjective nonsense which was taught to me at school! let me just clarify why:
i don't believe in evolution because it is not a topic which i consider worthy enough of my time to research all the evidence for and against. unless i have personally had the time to sit down and mull over the facts, i don't really believe in anything! i just cannot take for granted what other people spout as fact. this is not to say that i disagree with darwin's theory just that i reserve the right to not have an opinion. as an atheist though i don't believe in creationism but that's a topic for another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
you just don't get it. i don't dissent from any idea. the mere fact that we don't have bullet proof evidence proving the theory of evolution means that i would be open to all ideas. what i object to is people like sandycat and mercury cougar's position that if you don't subscribe to evolution as fact then you're an ignoramus

No, you don't get it.

How do YOU know that we do not have bullet proof evidence proving the theory of evolution? Especially when you openly admit that you have not researched it because it is not worth your time? How can you POSSIBLY know that there is not bullet proof evidence?

Like I said, go do your research and then make an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,337,825 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
another person who didn't read my entire opening post. for f---sake, i'm not a creationist, i'm just open to the idea that there might be another explanation!
I didn't say you were a creationist.

I simply explained why the "left" as you call them fight so hard against creationism.

I actually addressed your point, if you read my post, that evolution was merely a mook point, and shouldn't even be taught in schools because its not important.

However, I guess your reading skills aren't that good either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,701,773 times
Reputation: 35889
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
that's is why i asked you if you read the entire opening post! it is obvious that the answer to that question is no! perhaps going forward you should read the entire post before you draw conclusions!
I read all the posts, but only responded to one. You implied that people who believe in evolution know only what they read in grammar school texts, and I pointed out that people who believe in intelligent design have an even more elementary source of their material. Why do you have such a shrill objection to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,162,475 times
Reputation: 17979
I understand what you mean ;because at one time they were saying the world was flat and going to far you would fall off the edge. Theories; one pile on top the opther over the centuries.Kind of believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,337,825 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I understand what you mean ;because at one time they were saying the world was flat and going to far you would fall off the edge. Theories; one pile on top the opther over the centuries.Kind of believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.
The people who said the world was flat, and that the Earth was the center of the Universe, are the same people saying that the Earth was created in 7 days, and God did it all.

The people who were burned at the stake as heretics and witches, those are the people telling you about evolution today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 04:57 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 4,566,245 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We don't have bullet proof evidence of the Theory of Relativity as well.

However, I bet you've got no problem with teaching children E=MC^2

thanks for bringing that one up. relativety conflicted with isaac newtons theory of gravity. perhaps in the future something else might come up in conflict with darwins theory of evolution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top