U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,090,991 times
Reputation: 948

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm still waiting to see the hundreds of millions of fossilized transitional life forms. They have to be somewhere in order to make evolution plausible.
Many times those transitions are sitting right in front of our eyes and we don't recognize them. It took many years to recognize what now seems obvious -- bird are the descendants of the dinosaurs.

I keep waiting for the fundamentalists to explain how any of their stuff happened other than magic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Reputation: 35885
The premise in the title of this thread has now been proven wrong. In 24 hours, there have been over 100 posts to this thread, many from the left, so is it not true that the "left never talks about" this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Many times those transitions are sitting right in front of our eyes and we don't recognize them. It took many years to recognize what now seems obvious -- bird are the descendants of the dinosaurs.

I keep waiting for the fundamentalists to explain how any of their stuff happened other than magic.
It's very interesting, however, that you cannot provide any of these fossilized transitional life forms.

You keep saying they're all around us, but you don't have any. There are probably 10 posts on this thread alone, where pro-evolutionists are saying, "But there ARE transitional life forms!!!" Yet none of you has produced any - or pointed the way to any.

And again, I'm asking you... Should there not - of necessity - be hundreds of millions of said fossilized transitional life forms? Incremental evolution demands the presence of millions of them.

You say that birds are descendants of dinosaurs, but you don't have any sequential fossils evidencing an incremental transition. You just say it happened.


Well... Where's the evidence?




Also, you can drop the little "fundamentalist" condescension. That's a derogatory deflection that doesn't apply to me in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 AM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,221,279 times
Reputation: 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's very interesting, however, that you cannot provide any of these fossilized transitional life forms.

You keep saying they're all around us, but you don't have any.

You say that birds are descendants of dinosaurs, but you don't have any sequential fossils evidencing an incremental transition. You just say it happened.


Well... Where's the evidence?

In the early 1990s some obviously non-avian dinosaur fossils were discovered with preserved feathers. Today we know of more than twenty genera of dinosaurs with fossil feathers. Hell, the fossil feathers of one of them -- Shuvuuia deserti -- have tested positive for beta-keratin which is the main protein in bird feathers.

Last edited by Mercury Cougar; 10-14-2009 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
In the early 1990s some obviously non-avian dinosaur fossils were discovered with preserved feathers. Today we know of more than twenty genera of dinosaurs with fossil feather. Hell, the fossil feathers of one of them -- Shuvuuia deserti -- have tested positive for beta-keratin which is the main protein in bird feathers.
Sure. But where are the hundreds of millions that are necessary evidence?

Or do you believe that there weren't billions of transitional life forms? Is that not a fundamental premise of the theory of evolution - that billions of microscopic changes took place over hundreds of millions of years?


So again, where are the fossilized remains of hundreds of millions of transitional life forms? If these remains cannot be produced, you must admit to yourself that you've got a problem with your theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,615,444 times
Reputation: 24548
The proper reversal of Descartes is "I do not think, therefore I am not." In the OP case this seems to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The proper reversal of Descarts is "I do not think, therefor I am not." In the OP case this seems to be true.
Perhaps the person who started this thread doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 AM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,221,279 times
Reputation: 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Sure. But where are the hundreds of millions that are necessary evidence?

Or do you believe that there weren't billions of transitional life forms? Is that not a fundamental premise of the theory of evolution - that billions of microscopic changes took place over hundreds of millions of years?


So again, where are the fossilized remains of hundreds of millions of transitional life forms? If these remains cannot be produced, you must admit to yourself that you've got a problem with your theory.
Where are the hundreds of millions of dead human beings that have existed over the millenia? Can't find 'em? Gosh, then they didn't exist!

Things die, they rot, they get eaten, they're gone. It takes a very specific situation to form a fossil, and most things that die don't die under the circumstances necessary to create one.

Come on, even you can't be that ignorant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 10:01 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Where are the hundreds of millions of dead human beings that have existed over the millenia? Can't find 'em? Gosh, then they didn't exist!

Things die, they rot, they get eaten, they're gone. It takes a very specific situation to form a fossil, and most things that die don't die under the circumstances necessary to create one.

Come on, even you can't be that ignorant?
I'm not ignorant enough to fall for that fallacy, no.

Why not just admit that you have a major problem with your theory of evolution - and that problem is the overwhelming lack of fossil evidence. Therefore, you're basically left with making stuff up.

What you're making up might be true. But you really don't have much of anything to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,615,444 times
Reputation: 24548
Lack of evidence does not disprove a theory bases on limited but actual evidence. There were literally millions of dinosaurs but there are very few fossils. That does not make dinosaurs impossible. Only one fossil makes the dinosaurs exist. The theory does not require all the transitions to prove the relationship.

BTW - I was in grade school when I thought the dinosaurs were killed and did not just stop evolving and that Geese looked a lot like small duck billed dinosaurs. Nice to know I was correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top