Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times

Advertisements

I think it must be all the traffic lights why it seems further. I use to cut through blocks to get to Elm and cant explain now because finally Lee and H.P. road is one name on Google.
I still think Greensboro should invest in Light Rail as development will follow.
In Charlotte, the South End was run down plants and buildings but now it Apartments galore including retail.
The city could charge a tax to any residential or business that is within a block of the track to help reduce the burden.

What made me revive this thread is Winston Salem announced this week its developing its South West corridor around Hanes Mall Blvd and Strafford with light rail too.
It would be easier for them since the tracks are literally next to the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:36 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,046,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think it must be all the traffic lights why it seems further. I use to cut through blocks to get to Elm and cant explain now because finally Lee and H.P. road is one name on Google.
I still think Greensboro should invest in Light Rail as development will follow.
In Charlotte, the South End was run down plants and buildings but now it Apartments galore including retail.
The city could charge a tax to any residential or business that is within a block of the track to help reduce the burden.

What made me revive this thread is Winston Salem announced this week its developing its South West corridor around Hanes Mall Blvd and Strafford with light rail too.
Well, that and the MapQuest mileage of 4.6 miles.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,400,224 times
Quote:
That's not a plan that's in motion at this time, unless you know something I don't. It's more of a long-term goal, and it makes a lot of sense with that disused right-of-way cutting right through such a heavily used-corridor, but it sounds like leaders are looking to emphasize more mixed-use development along Stratford and Hanes Mall Blvd, and if that takes hold, light rail could added later.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:04 AM

Apparently my phone won't let me copy the quote and go back to post the link. Here the link.Mixed Use Development Suggested Along Hanes Mall Boulevard
I'll great separate post for the quote

Old 06-05-2015, 08:05 AM

The plan also includes pedestrian improvements like more sidewalks, and a future look towards alternative transportation including light rail by Hanes Mall, along Stratford on an existing rail line.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
The plan also includes pedestrian improvements like more sidewalks, and a future look towards alternative transportation including light rail by Hanes Mall, along Stratford on an existing rail line.
Key words bolded. Light rail along that corridor is something that's been talked about for years, but there's no indication that it is going to happen anytime soon, or at all.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 AM

6,162 posts, read 7,237,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Well, that and the MapQuest mileage of 4.6 miles.
Map quest is wrong

Old 06-05-2015, 10:35 AM

No it isn't. You're just using different measures of what you mean by distance from downtown. Four Seasons is, without a doubt, 4 and a half miles from The Lincoln Financial Building in the middle of downtown via Freeman Mill. Farther if you go via Freeman Mill, and more like 4.2 miles of you go via Gate City. So if you say 2.5 miles, where are you starting from?

Old 06-05-2015, 12:07 PM

6,162 posts, read 7,237,827 times
Im measuring along Gate City Blvd. You measure from the central business district borders, (Freeman Mill Rd.) not the Lincoln Financial Building. From downtown to the coliseum is a mile and a half and roughly a mile from the coliseum to the Koury (maybe slightly over). It's no where near 4.2 miles. If you were to drive 4.5 to 4.8 miles along Gate City Blvd from downtown, you'd end up close to the southern I-73 loop.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-05-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 01:24 PM

743 posts, read 827,339 times
As a former GSO resident it sad to see Four Seasons decline & hopefully it doesn't suffer the fate of Carolina Circle but rail investment alone won't cure it's problems. Rail transit has to connect either large employment centers or serve high density corridors to make financial sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point