Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 AM

511 posts, read 511,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
just wondering if something good could ever come of kernersville and Greensboro working together or Winston and kernersville working together. It seems I Just hear that Winston and Greensboro needs to work together. Which brings me to this thought...I wonder if either Winston or Greensboro has ever tried to take over kernersville in the past thru a annex or anything.?
Kernersville has been it's own incorporated place for a long time. But at one point Greensboro was wanting to annex Colfax but Colfax residents wanted to be annexed by Kernersville instead. I don't think either city made a move on it. And also, around the same time, Kernersville was talking about annexing out towards Oak Ridge and Stokesdale, which let to those towns incorporating to make sure it never happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 07:40 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Kernersville has been it's own incorporated place for a long time. But at one point Greensboro was wanting to annex Colfax but Colfax residents wanted to be annexed by Kernersville instead. I don't think either city made a move on it. And also, around the same time, Kernersville was talking about annexing out towards Oak Ridge and Stokesdale, which let to those towns incorporating to make sure it never happens.
A little bit off topic, but is Kernersville well known for BBQ? We have several restaurants in this area serving a "Kernersville-style" sauce.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:52 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A little bit off topic, but is Kernersville well known for BBQ? We have several restaurants in this area serving a "Kernersville-style" sauce.
How weird.

No, the BBQ location of note in the area is Lexington, about 20 minutes due-south of Winston-Salem. You hear "Lexington-style BBQ" all the time. There are a couple of decent BBQ spots in Kernersville, but it is in no way a notable town in the world of NC BBQ lore, and I have no earthly idea what "Kernersville style sauce" would be.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:39 AM

511 posts, read 511,187 times
I need to know more about this Kernersville sauce. What places are serving it?

Old 10-18-2017, 01:33 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Didn't Louisville do the same thing, merge with the county? Because of that its population is over 600,000 I think. Also some people find it shocking that Virginia Beach has over 500, 000 people yet it lacks the feel of a city of half a million people. Its bigger than Richmond yet Richmond has a more urban dense downtown. Heck Greensboro is bigger than Richmond and its downtown is bigger and more dense than Greensboro's
Louisville has a great urban core. Yes, they did merge in Unigov, but you can have quasi-rural parts of Jefferson County that count as city residents. They aren't "city" residents by any common sense measure of it. Indianapolis has done the same thing.

This often dilutes numbers like city crime rates, poverty, etc., because they are bringing in safer, less dense, suburban to rural areas that don't have the problems of the core city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I need to know more about this Kernersville sauce. What places are serving it?
These are just two small local restaurants. It is a thin, tomato/vinegar based sauce.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:02 PM

6,118 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Not possible. Cities can't annex other cities. Or "take them over" in any other way.
You're correct in saying that a city can't just claim that another city is its turf and take it over.

However, it is possible for two town/cities to merge if both agree to do so. Oak Island is one that comes to mind as it used to be Long Beach and Yaupon Beach until both towns mutually agreed to merge into Oak Island. There may be other examples (), but this one comes to mind.

This would be a huge stretch for the larger cities in the Triad though and doubtful that it would happen on that scale.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:19 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,368 times
At least Greensboro/Winstem-Salem/High Point have had population increases every year which is always good to see. I'm from upstate NY where population is always on the decline annually. Major economic killer.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
However, it is possible for two town/cities to merge if both agree to do so. Oak Island is one that comes to mind as it used to be Long Beach and Yaupon Beach until both towns mutually agreed to merge into Oak Island. There may be other examples (), but this one comes to mind.
Interesting that another, more obvious example wouldn't come to mind.

Hint: the city's name is hyphenated.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 AM

70 posts, read 96,744 times
I think all cites are meant to grow at different rates maybe the Triad will grow in near future or decades from now who knows but in this time frame we are in now we should appreciate what we have and be grateful for our Triad because its special in its own way!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:52 AM

6,158 posts, read 7,226,364 times
The Triad's time will come. We are starting to see some of that momentum particularly in Greensboro and Winston-Salem. I think it would take decades if at all for either city to have a skyline even come close to Charlotte's. I was in Charlotte all day yesterday. Very impressive skyline. I was mesmerized by it. The density and the height, it almost makes you dizzy looking at it lol. Its the details that makes that city shine. They have led lights that shine on the street signs at major intersections. But one thing I don't like at all is the traffic in that city, particularly in the uptown area around I-77 and the people there drive crazy. But thats growing pains and you can see why there was a need for a light rail system there. The Triad is more laid back but Im happy with the progress that is happening. But Id like our city leaders think even bigger and take our region to the next level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point