Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 01:52 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I believe Long John Silvers and A&W are now separate companies. At one time I believe they were both owned by Yum Brands, owner of KFC, back when they were co-branded. They are now building new stand alone A&W locations, with plans announced for Rock Hill and Gastonia. Perhaps a new store will come to the Upstate.

So far as I know, it's been that way for quite some time. Looking it up..

A&W was spun off to franchisees in 2011 under "A Great American Brand LLC"

Same thing with LJS.. In fact, same year, spun off to franchisees under "LJS Partners"

so.. ~11 years they've been separate. One would think they would have de-co-branded long before now if that was the reason.

KFC is still Yum Brands, and I know that there's a co-branded unit (With LJS) in Laurens.. At least, I didn't notice anything having changed when I went by it on Saturday.

Both Clinton and Abbeville have co-branded KFC/Taco Bell, but.. Those are both under the Yum umbrella.

FWIW.. I only see 2 A&W's in the upstate. Greenville and Spartanburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 03:54 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Wild Wing Cafe had closed in downtown Spartanburg.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:24 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So far as I know, it's been that way for quite some time. Looking it up..

KFC is still Yum Brands, and I know that there's a co-branded unit (With LJS) in Laurens.. At least, I didn't notice anything having changed when I went by it on Saturday.

Both Clinton and Abbeville have co-branded KFC/Taco Bell, but.. Those are both under the Yum umbrella.

FWIW.. I only see 2 A&W's in the upstate. Greenville and Spartanburg.
Pretty sure the LJS in Greer is split with A&W. There is a dual KFC/Taco Bell in Travelers Rest.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:51 AM

428 posts, read 362,705 times
"That and the Waffle House that was basically in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn at I-85 and Augusta."

That's the one we used to go to (after partying in Greenville) because it was on the way out of town to Augusta and it was open 24 hours. We did some dumb stuff back then.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
"That and the Waffle House that was basically in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn at I-85 and Augusta."

That's the one we used to go to (after partying in Greenville) because it was on the way out of town to Augusta and it was open 24 hours. We did some dumb stuff back then.
The Del Taco that was next to that Holiday Inn back in the 80's was another late night hot spot after the clubs closed. Drive thru was open until 2 or 3 am I think. You can still see the concrete pad where it stood. We used to stop for a Grande Burrito or Tacos. It was so good with fresher ingredients back then before the private equity and holding company owners got a hold of those type places and cut costs by switching to frozen and canned crap.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The Del Taco that was next to that Holiday Inn back in the 80's was another late night hot spot after the clubs closed. Drive thru was open until 2 or 3 am I think. You can still see the concrete pad where it stood. We used to stop for a Grande Burrito or Tacos. It was so good with fresher ingredients back then before the private equity and holding company owners got a hold of those type places and cut costs by switching to frozen and canned crap.

Was the... ok.. So, I'm trying to remember here.. There was the Waffle House, there was a Bojangles..

Did the Del Taco BECOME Bojangles, or was that separate? And.. I seem to remember that maybe changing to a Taco Bell or something else towards the end?

The Waffle House made it much longer than the Bo's and "taco place" did.

Remember also there used to be a Hardee's across the street.. That was lost when the road was redesigned around '97 or so.

Some further info.. According to GIS records.. The "Bojangles" pad out there.. Owned by something called Joshua 1:3 LLC at Heathercrest Ct in Simpsonville. From '79 to about '93 it was owned by Del Taco. So, they may have leased space to Bojangles?

The old Waffle House property.. Which.. It kinda looks like someone drove a car into the building rather recently from the google maps pics..

Sold to Anderson developments in 2011.. I'd say that's about when that Waffle House closed, though it seems it was much earlier than that.

Since we talked about it.. Denny's.

Name on the building now is "skittles" and I think it has been for quite some time, though it hasn't been open.

Wow.. That building AND the hotel seem to have been owned by a family in Spartanburg for quite some time.. Just being passed down through the family since the 50's. I love this review of the hotel I found..

Quote:
End of the road for some people. It's when karma and bad decisions co collaborate.

Last edited by Labonte18; 02-02-2023 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-02-2023, 09:58 AM

428 posts, read 362,705 times
This would have been late 90s/early 2000s. I was in a band in Greenville then moved to Augusta, but I'd still come up for practice and to play shows (mostly at Got Rocks). Stayed at that Holiday Inn once. Uhg.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
This would have been late 90s/early 2000s. I was in a band in Greenville then moved to Augusta, but I'd still come up for practice and to play shows (mostly at Got Rocks). Stayed at that Holiday Inn once. Uhg.

In the 60's and 70's that was probably the nicest hotel in Greenville. That area was something of a 'hub' area, as evidenced by how many hotels are there at that exit.. That former Holiday Inn, what was the Camelot Inn, the Motel 6(not sure it still is) on the frontage road, as well as.. What was last a Park Inn, I believe, at 85 and White Horse exit.

Seems to me there was another hotel there. But I suspect I'm confusing the old Best Western at 85 and Mauldin Rd.

Around 2000 is when that hotel started trending downwards. And, of course, it was condemned a couple of years back. Based on what I heard, from water damage based on the roof leaking.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:35 PM

128 posts, read 100,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Was the... ok.. So, I'm trying to remember here.. There was the Waffle House, there was a Bojangles..

Did the Del Taco BECOME Bojangles, or was that separate? And.. I seem to remember that maybe changing to a Taco Bell or something else towards the end?

The Waffle House made it much longer than the Bo's and "taco place" did.

Remember also there used to be a Hardee's across the street.. That was lost when the road was redesigned around '97 or so.

Some further info.. According to GIS records.. The "Bojangles" pad out there.. Owned by something called Joshua 1:3 LLC at Heathercrest Ct in Simpsonville. From '79 to about '93 it was owned by Del Taco. So, they may have leased space to Bojangles?

The old Waffle House property.. Which.. It kinda looks like someone drove a car into the building rather recently from the google maps pics..

Sold to Anderson developments in 2011.. I'd say that's about when that Waffle House closed, though it seems it was much earlier than that.

Since we talked about it.. Denny's.

Name on the building now is "skittles" and I think it has been for quite some time, though it hasn't been open.

Wow.. That building AND the hotel seem to have been owned by a family in Spartanburg for quite some time.. Just being passed down through the family since the 50's. I love this review of the hotel I found..
The last mention I'm seeing on Newspapers.com for Bojangles on Augusta Road is 2001, with the first mention being 1993. Del Taco's last mention is 1990, with the first mention being in 1985.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberclaw View Post
The last mention I'm seeing on Newspapers.com for Bojangles on Augusta Road is 2001, with the first mention being 1993. Del Taco's last mention is 1990, with the first mention being in 1985.
I don't remember the Bojangles but I guess it's possible the old Del Taco was either converted or razed and rebuilt. The Del Taco on Clemson Blvd in Anderson is now a Cookout and I believe it was converted to Fazoli's before that. I know Greenwood also had a Del Taco in the late 80's that is now a DQ. Haywood Mall had a Del Taco next to the arcade in the lower level mall entrance near JCP. That lower level entrance became part of the new Dillard's wing extension.

Last edited by vistatiger; 02-02-2023 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area