Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2023, 05:35 PM

428 posts, read 362,948 times

Advertisements

Another one gone

https://www.wyff4.com/article/block-...loses/43456729
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 08:55 AM

130 posts, read 77,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm a bit surprised that we are getting new retail/dining coming to this area with our staffing issues. When I talk to franchise owners/managers, this is their #1 issue.

Calling it "staffing issues" is just a short way of saying "we don't want to pay what it costs to have people work for us". The "staffing issues" could go away immediately if they just increased what they were willing to pay their employees.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:24 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
Calling it "staffing issues" is just a short way of saying "we don't want to pay what it costs to have people work for us". The "staffing issues" could go away immediately if they just increased what they were willing to pay their employees.
You certainly have to pay to have a quality workforce. Ultimately, the costs are burdened by the consumers anyway.

Yet there are a lot of people who are not working. Are they holding up for wages to go up before they apply?

Old 03-30-2023, 11:45 AM

826 posts, read 1,126,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Yet there are a lot of people who are not working. Are they holding up for wages to go up before they apply?
Define the people that aren’t working. Boomers who took early retirement? Dual income households that decided to go single income for various reasons?

Old 04-02-2023, 05:33 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 17 days ago)

733 posts, read 348,961 times
I don't recall staffing shortages prior to covid.

Old 04-03-2023, 12:54 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Define the people that aren’t working. Boomers who took early retirement? Dual income households that decided to go single income for various reasons?
Birth rates have not kept up over the last decades to keep up with all the boomers that have or will be retiring in the next few years. IMO that the #1 reason why we have staff shortages with #2 being wages. All industries will be affected. The most critical will be first responders. Why should a first responder work in this state when they can make much more in other areas? We are a mobile society and those that can work will go where the money is and it isn't in SC.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:10 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,451,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Birth rates have not kept up over the last decades to keep up with all the boomers that have or will be retiring in the next few years. IMO that the #1 reason why we have staff shortages with #2 being wages. All industries will be affected. The most critical will be first responders. Why should a first responder work in this state when they can make much more in other areas? We are a mobile society and those that can work will go where the money is and it isn't in SC.

I work for a great local manufacturing company, we train people well, promote from within, etc., Offer great wages, benefits, etc.

We can't find people, as in legit cannot find folks.

There will be a huge number of retirements within the next 1-3 years, same for many other local companies. Thus opportunities for advancement, many not requiring a degree and, again, which pay very well. Even with the impending recession, I foresee staffing shortages across any number of industries, going into 2024 and 2025.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:38 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I work for a great local manufacturing company, we train people well, promote from within, etc., Offer great wages, benefits, etc.

There will be a huge number of retirements within the next 1-3 years, same for many other local companies. Thus opportunities for advancement, many not requiring a degree and, again, which pay very well. Even with the impending recession, I foresee staffing shortages across any number of industries, going into 2024 and 2025.

how do they feel about college students? I might know of one looking for work.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:07 AM

130 posts, read 77,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I don't recall staffing shortages prior to covid.

It's almost like a bunch of people died and are no longer in the workforce...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post

What do you consider "great wages"?

Old 04-05-2023, 10:59 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Doesn't the aging baby boomer generation retiring in greater numbers have something to do with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area