Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2023, 12:49 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 14 days ago)

731 posts, read 347,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
It's almost like a bunch of people died and are no longer in the workforce...
Or there are a bunch of people who think COVID is deadly for most people regardless of age and underlying conditions like obesity and don't want to work around people. I should have included inflation, supply chain issues, transportation prices higher due to higher gas prices which have occurred during COVID era.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-05-2023 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 08:38 AM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Or there are a bunch of people who think COVID is deadly for most people regardless of age and underlying conditions like obesity and don't want to work around people. I should have included inflation, supply chain issues, transportation prices higher due to higher gas prices which have occurred during COVID era.

No.

What *IS* more accurate is that a whole lot of people who worked from home during the pandemic don't want to go back to work in an office.

So, remote work ends, they're expected back in the office, they've moved to somewhere else and can't go back to the office.

Some of those folks I have sympathy for because they were told the job would be remote.. others.. not so much.

gas prices during COVID were lower than ever. I paid $1.29/gallon. The higher prices came AFTER COVID.

Remote work is a double edged sword.. Some people can do it fine. Others.. Not so much. They just don't have the discipline to do it. I did it for 5 years or so.. And found myself having not left my house for weeks on end. Glorious.. But unsustainable.

Normally, the ones who can't do it well are the ones being the loudest about wanting to work from home.

Old 04-07-2023, 05:05 AM

321 posts, read 406,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Some of those folks I have sympathy for because they were told the job would be remote.. others.. not so much.
I doubt existing workers were ever promised that the pandemic related work-from-home would be permanent. They definitely weren't where I work. New hires should have been told that it was temporary as well.

If you moved away knowing it was temporary then you have nothing to complain about.
If you were told it was temporary then you have nothing to complain about.
If your company isn't happy with your work performance and wants you back in the office then you have nothing to complain about.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwd View Post
I doubt existing workers were ever promised that the pandemic related work-from-home would be permanent. They definitely weren't where I work. New hires should have been told that it was temporary as well.

If you moved away knowing it was temporary then you have nothing to complain about.
If you were told it was temporary then you have nothing to complain about.
If your company isn't happy with your work performance and wants you back in the office then you have nothing to complain about.

The only part I disagree about is that some people were hired and told it was a remote job.. And.. either it wasn't made clear that "Hey, we might change our minds" or whatever.

I didn't work remote 1 day during the pandemic. I've also never had COVID.

But.. Many, many, many people don't want to work in an office now.. And.. That is THEIR problem. The pandemic is over. Time to get back to normal. We hired a few remote workers, not because of the pandemic, but because.. The skills we needed couldn't be found. Some very specific programmer requirements. We only have one of them left. And, he does a fine job working remotely. Frankly, at times, he does so much that it's damn annoying. But.. Better that than wondering what the hell he's doing.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:31 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

But.. Many, many, many people don't want to work in an office now.. And.. That is THEIR problem. The pandemic is over. Time to get back to normal. We hired a few remote workers, not because of the pandemic, but because.. The skills we needed couldn't be found. Some very specific programmer requirements. We only have one of them left. And, he does a fine job working remotely. Frankly, at times, he does so much that it's damn annoying. But.. Better that than wondering what the hell he's doing.
It’s only their problem if they can’t find remote work. Otherwise it’s company’s problem when they lose an employee and have to go through the costs of onboarding a new employee. I’ve been fully remote for work since 2012. Finding remote jobs without potentially high travel requirements used to be hard. Now they are common place. The only way I’ll ever go back to an office full time is if I can’t find remote work or for a significant pay raise. My quality of life is so much better working from home.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:33 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 14 days ago)

731 posts, read 347,229 times
The wanting to continue to work remote aspect you mention is probably true for many teachers and other professionals but not for a bar / restaurant like Barleys.

Given how competitive the downtown market is right now, even a slight reduction in the workforce could be enough to force them to close, especially after doing less business during peak covid.

I believe there has been a significant increase in the number of people in their 20s, 30s and 40s living with their parents since covid and they are basically out of the workforce.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-07-2023 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 09:23 PM

128 posts, read 100,840 times
A friend of mine worked at Barleys for around four months, and their experience was not at all positive. They were underpaid (during their time at Barleys they only saw two paychecks despite being paid bi-weekly), there was always beef going on between people in the kitchen, and at one point a drunken manager had a altercation with an employee during regular hours.

Take this as you will, but it seems to me that they couldn't find people to work for them because the environment for the employees was not a positive one.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:21 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberclaw View Post
A friend of mine worked at Barleys for around four months, and their experience was not at all positive. They were underpaid (during their time at Barleys they only saw two paychecks despite being paid bi-weekly), there was always beef going on between people in the kitchen, and at one point a drunken manager had a altercation with an employee during regular hours.

Take this as you will, but it seems to me that they couldn't find people to work for them because the environment for the employees was not a positive one.
Sounds like an episode of Bar Rescue!

Old 04-09-2023, 07:13 PM

130 posts, read 77,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I believe there has been a significant increase in the number of people in their 20s, 30s and 40s living with their parents since covid and they are basically out of the workforce.

There are more people in the workforce in the US now than there ever has been in the past and unemployment is the lowest it's been in decades.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-1990/

Old 04-10-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
There are more people in the workforce in the US now than there ever has been in the past and unemployment is the lowest it's been in decades.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-1990/

And yet, the percentage of work age people in the workforce is the lowest it's been since the 70's, which was a time that still many women were not working.

So.. Single charts and figures often do not tell the entire story.

The fact that unemployment is low doesn't tell the entire story. How many of the people who are not in the workforce aren't because they've given up or whatever would take a 'normal' job if they could find one? Or have gone to 'gig' work?

All told, that's actually not a BAD thing considering that the US population, while not shrinking, isn't growing very much and does seem to be heading to contraction. Imagine if we had a 10% population growth. That would probably be much more concerning so far as the road we were on compared to where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area