Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2020, 12:57 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times

Advertisements

I think LEGO should take over the old Sears....our own 2-story Mini LEGO-Land right here in Greenville....just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 06:35 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
I think LEGO should take over the old Sears....our own 2-story Mini LEGO-Land right here in Greenville....just saying...

I hear Relentless Church is looking for a new campus...

Old 02-08-2020, 07:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
It's good for the mall that Sears is finally being put out of its misery. They have been failing for years. Next to go will be Pennys, and will have nothing to do with our economy in Greenville or the management of the mall. This is a great opportunity to do something special.
JC Penney is doing fine.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:44 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
JC Penney is doing fine.
Trading under a dollar is not doing fine.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:23 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Trading under a dollar is not doing fine.
Agree but it will probably go very slowly like Sears over last 20 years unless they turn it around as they probably have a lot of real estate to sell and keep it going. The JCP store at Haywood would probably be one of the last to go like Sears.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:49 AM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
JCPenney is close to going under: limited cash, large debt and sharp sales declines even after the debacle of Ron Johnson’s leadership. Haywood will be losing another anchor at some point.

With mid-tier department stores cratering these days, I wonder how well Belk is doing. It has closed very few stores. I guess being owned by private equity makes it more resistant to quarterly needs to satisfy stockholders of a public company but if the rest of those chains are going broke, Belk can’t be immune.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:25 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Speedway on W Butler in Mauldin abruptly closed last week. Anyone know the story or what will become of the site?

Old 02-09-2020, 03:26 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Speedway on W Butler in Mauldin abruptly closed last week. Anyone know the story or what will become of the site?

I go by there every day and didn't notice. I'd say competition from QT would be the reason. But that makes two abrupt closures there recently. The Sonic and Speedway.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:35 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
JCPenney is close to going under: limited cash, large debt and sharp sales declines even after the debacle of Ron Johnson’s leadership. Haywood will be losing another anchor at some point.

With mid-tier department stores cratering these days, I wonder how well Belk is doing. It has closed very few stores. I guess being owned by private equity makes it more resistant to quarterly needs to satisfy stockholders of a public company but if the rest of those chains are going broke, Belk can’t be immune.
Belk stores vary from small town versions to larger mall anchors, and some are mid-tier while others are more upscale flagship stores. They cater to specific markets and remain strong performers, especially in the Carolinas. They have taken over failed stores from competitors Macy's and Bon-Ton in Kentucky and Maryland. I have heard they are still performing well, and remain based in Charlotte although the Belk family has indeed sold out to a private equity company. They have success with a good selection of designer names mixed with an expanded assortment of private labels such as Crown and Ivy, Saddlebred, Madison, Zelos, True Craft, Red Camel, Kim Rogers, and acquiring rights to the Limited fashion label.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:19 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
Tyler, you are right on.My wife grew up as a Belk's loyalist.She says that the Belks in Easley is okay, Haywood is good, but Town Center in MT Pleasant is great, then there is Inlet Square in MI that is a zombie with body parts falling off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area