Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 11:43 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I came from Massachusetts and for the longest time they didn't sell alcohol on Sundays but they did allow it in restaurants. Bars no so restaurants who had bars often had to close the bar area. I believe that ended in 2003 but they still have weird hours to avoid church time. Yeah on the parents. They came down for my birthday when we first moved there and it was on a Sunday so no wine or beer. My father wasn't really a drinker but he liked a beer when he went out to dinner which was a rare occasion.

In '95 we were still on the mini bottle law, and.. If I'm not mistaken, only Horry County had passed Sunday sales. And to my recollection, that was for restaurants, bars, convenience stores.. Whatever.

I know the first year when the Panthers played at Death Valley, there was a big to-do about not being able to sell beer during the games. I went to one game that year, but it was a Saturday game, so.. No effect there.

I remember the Walmart in Laurens not opening until 1pm on Sunday due to the blue laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 01:45 PM

428 posts, read 362,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
In '95 we were still on the mini bottle law, and.. If I'm not mistaken, only Horry County had passed Sunday sales. And to my recollection, that was for restaurants, bars, convenience stores.. Whatever.

I know the first year when the Panthers played at Death Valley, there was a big to-do about not being able to sell beer during the games. I went to one game that year, but it was a Saturday game, so.. No effect there.

I remember the Walmart in Laurens not opening until 1pm on Sunday due to the blue laws.
Yeah we went to a game at Death Valley their first year. Sunday. I wasn't old enough to drink anyway.

Old 05-26-2023, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 2,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Yeah we went to a game at Death Valley their first year. Sunday. I wasn't old enough to drink anyway.

The Panthers played the 49ers twice that year, which meant the 49ers visited Death Valley. There was something of an impromptu buzz around the east side of town that weekend because the 49ers held a practice at JL Mann's stadium.

Other teams may have done similar, but this uniquely generated a lot of news and grapevine chatter. Sadly, I didn't get to see any of it. But I think a lot of people did, whether that meant some level of admission or watching through the fence on Ridge Road.

This was two years after their last SB win, and Steve Young and Jerry Rice were still playing at a high level. Jerry Rice may still be playing at a high level....

Old 05-26-2023, 03:27 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvl-Exile View Post
The Panthers played the 49ers twice that year, which meant the 49ers visited Death Valley. There was something of an impromptu buzz around the east side of town that weekend because the 49ers held a practice at JL Mann's stadium.

Other teams may have done similar, but this uniquely generated a lot of news and grapevine chatter. Sadly, I didn't get to see any of it. But I think a lot of people did, whether that meant some level of admission or watching through the fence on Ridge Road.

This was two years after their last SB win, and Steve Young and Jerry Rice were still playing at a high level. Jerry Rice may still be playing at a high level....

Huh.. I don't remember that. But.. If I'm not mistaken, they couldn't have charged for admission, otherwise the Panthers would have been allowed to attend them and 'scout' their practice. So, to your point about peeking through fences, yes, it would have either had to have been a closed practice or free.

How do I know that? Because that was one of the (many) dumbass decisions that Dan Snyder made when he took over in Washington.

a bit of an oddity to the NFL rules.

I still have the "Inaugural Season" pin set that I got at the game I went to. As well as the ticket. I can't even find that on EBay. I doubt they're worth more than $50, but, neat to have.

Old 05-26-2023, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 2,436 times
I haven't seen anyone mention The Red Barn on E. North just past North Hills. It was originally a sub shop. They typically drenched the bread with an Italian dressing-like concoction. Eventually they added very respectable pizza.

It was quite popular for a number of years in the 70's and into the 80's. Not sure when or why it closed down, but I think it was some time in the mid-80's.

And one other: the Barbecue King where Morgan Manor is now on 291 just north of Cleveland St. This takes me back to single-digit years, but I remember two levels (i.e., floors) of seating, plastic baskets, and lots of people there on Sundays. There was a Shell Station on the corner. Anybody have more substantial memories of this place? For all I know it was a flash-in-the-pan.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:04 PM

428 posts, read 362,705 times
Quote:
I haven't seen anyone mention The Red Barn on E. North just past North Hills. It was originally a sub shop. They typically drenched the bread with an Italian dressing-like concoction. Eventually they added very respectable pizza.

It was quite popular for a number of years in the 70's and into the 80's. Not sure when or why it closed down, but I think it was some time in the mid-80's.

And one other: the Barbecue King where Morgan Manor is now on 291 just north of Cleveland St. This takes me back to single-digit years, but I remember two levels (i.e., floors) of seating, plastic baskets, and lots of people there on Sundays. There was a Shell Station on the corner. Anybody have more substantial memories of this place? For all I know it was a flash-in-the-pan.
Funny that you mention Morgan Manor. I was just reading about the the Twin Astro theater. I don't think I ever went there. We would go to the Bijou when visiting because it was closer to my grandparent's house. There is a whole website on old theaters called cinema treasures. There was a drive in where the Texas Roadhouse is on wade Hampton. There was also a drive in where that old Ingles used to be on Poinsett heading towards Furman.

When we lived in Jacksonville, Florida in the 80s there was a BBQ King. Was it a chain?

Last edited by frenzy_army; 05-26-2023 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-26-2023, 05:35 PM

121 posts, read 93,888 times
The old taco casa on pleasantburg was a BBQ King. Check out the unusual “ chimney focused” architecture I assume that’s why you brought it up?

Old 05-26-2023, 09:04 PM

25 posts, read 12,325 times
Quote:

I remember the Red Barn. Like you said, it was a sub shop, and at one point, it was, believe it or not, a kinda steak place. You could order steaks, chicken, wings, all cooked over a charcoal grill. For some reason, I’m thinking it was called “Cook Out”, not related to the chain around now. Also, it was basically a “To Go” or delivery location only. I remember they had an extremely small seating area……so you could eat there, but the place was like an oven on the inside because of the charcoal grill and no A/C. I use to live close by and this was before the days of the cell phone. I remember calling in ordering a nice ribeye, cooked how I liked, with baked potato and tossed salad, and driving to pick it up. The food was good.

Old 05-26-2023, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeades View Post
The old taco casa on pleasantburg was a BBQ King. Check out the unusual “ chimney focused” architecture I assume that’s why you brought it up?
Do you know approximately when this was?

Old 05-26-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Funny that you mention Morgan Manor. I was just reading about the the Twin Astro theater. I don't think I ever went there. We would go to the Bijou when visiting because it was closer to my grandparent's house. There is a whole website on old theaters called cinema treasures. There was a drive in where the Texas Roadhouse is on wade Hampton. There was also a drive in where that old Ingles used to be on Poinsett heading towards Furman.

When we lived in Jacksonville, Florida in the 80s there was a BBQ King. Was it a chain?
I remember that location before the Bijou theaters were built. I was probably late elementary school or early middle school age. There was nothing but a large dirt lot there. But, the thing that was cool about it was that there were piles of compacted dirt and on weekends, lots of dirt bike motorcycle riders would go there and put on a show. They kinda had a track set up and would speed around the large lot hitting the dirt piles and flying through the air! It was like a motocross race. Also, if you remember, the theaters were much lower than Wade Hampton High School. So before the theaters were built, there was about 100 yards of a very steep hill. The motorcycle riders would speed up the steep hill and get quite a bit of air! It was really fun for my friends and I to ride our bikes over there and watch.

Wasn’t there a putt putt course in that general vicinity of Wade Hampton Blvd way back then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area