Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 03:37 PM

130 posts, read 77,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
6. Little Rebel Drive-In - Across from Krispy Kreme on 291.

Little Rebel still exists... they just moved out toward northern Taylors on highway 290 where Old Rutherford dumps into 290, across from the Spinx station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 09:53 AM

428 posts, read 362,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
I enjoyed reading ALL of this thread! It brought back a lot of great memories. I tried to think of some that haven’t been posted yet. Here they are:

1. Krystal Hamburger - Pleasantburg Dr. south of Lake Forest Shopping Center
2. The Train - Pleasantburg Dr. across from Lake Forest Shopping Center. It was 3 actual train Carson a section of track. It was originally a restaurant, then a car dealership.
3. Ugly Biscuit - Lake Forest Shopping Center. Awesome funky shaped biscuits.
4. Fill ‘Em Fast - Independent Gas Station at the corner of Pleasantburg Dr. and Edwards Rd. across from the Old Liberty Life Building. I remember my mother buying gas there for 37.9 cents per gallon!!
5. Little Pigs BBQ - Lake Forest Shopping Center. Tiny spot with fantastic BBQ and hamburgers, and the only seating was in old times school desks.
6. Little Rebel Drive-In - Across from Krispy Kreme on 291.
7. Dixie Bowl - Cedar Lane Rd. Berea
8. John Paul’s Armadillo Oil Company - Congaree Rd. Best Ribs in Greenville
9. Cheer’s Lounge and Bar - First in was just off North Main St., then off Augusta Rd., and finally on Woodruff Rd. near the Red Robin Gas Station
10. Daisy Queen Ice Cream - North Main St. Soft serve ice cream before Dairy Queen.
11. Hot Dog King - Main St. across from City Hall
12. Ted’s Country Kitchen - There was a few of them around Greenville. Great meat and veggies place. One was at the intersection of Haywood Rd. and Laurens Rd. kinda across from where Hooter’s is.
13. Casablanca Bar - I think it was on River St. Downtown Greenville. Owned by the Channel 4 weatherman Charlie Gertz.
14. Sports Card Shops - There used to be a few around Greenville, one at Wade Hampton Blvd. and Rutherford Rd., a nice one in Greenville Mall, and one in Mauldin on Butler Rd. I don’t think there are any around now.
15. Fishing Hole - This was located off Wade Hampton Blvd between Taylors and Greer. It was actually an old large concrete swimming pool. It was a pay to fish place stocked with catfish and trout.
16. Finally, I have a vague recollection of a huge slide. It was on 185 across from the K-mart, kinda near where the McDonald’s is now. It was like a mountain of slides. Am I remembering correctly?

Well, that’s a bunch that I could remember.

Casablanca's never carded. When I first moved here in the 90's, as a teenager, that., Woodchuck's, and the Castle were the places to go. Haha

One Deck circle was in the shopping center at the corner of Rutherford and Wade Hampton

Lake Forest Quick Shop. Sold magazines. That's where my little brother got all his pro wrestling magazines from.

Across from the Train near BJU was the Endless Challenge back in the 80's. When we'd visit family here we'd go there. It was an arcade

Last edited by frenzy_army; 05-22-2023 at 10:25 AM..

Old 05-22-2023, 10:41 AM

Some more -

The Punch Line comedy club on Stone Ave.
The Corner Pocket on Coffee street (before they did the lame renovation then closed).
That run down Bi-Lo on Brushy Creek. Friend worked there.
The Chic-Fil-A in the basement of that office tower downtown. Not sure what it is now.
Sit and Spin records and the abandon photo place across from the Reedy River and Peace Center. Used to skateboard over there.
New Dimension comics on Laurens Road.
The Colony Inn on Wade Hampton. Lotta parties there.
Diamonds strip club on Old Easley Bridge Rd.
Best of Friends Cafe on Wade Hampton

Old 05-23-2023, 09:11 PM

25 posts, read 12,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
Little Rebel still exists... they just moved out toward northern Taylors on highway 290 where Old Rutherford dumps into 290, across from the Spinx station.
I may be wrong, but I think they moved to Cedar Lane Rd. after they left across from Krispy Kreme, and I don’t think it’s the same family owns it now.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Casablanca's never carded. When I first moved here in the 90's, as a teenager, that., Woodchuck's, and the Castle were the places to go. Haha

One Deck circle was in the shopping center at the corner of Rutherford and Wade Hampton

Lake Forest Quick Shop. Sold magazines. That's where my little brother got all his pro wrestling magazines from.

Across from the Train near BJU was the Endless Challenge back in the 80's. When we'd visit family here we'd go there. It was an arcade
I believe it was the “On Deck Circle”. I remember the Lake Forest Quick Shop very well! As a kid, we could buy firecrackers and bottle rockets there! I remember the Endless Challenge too.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:15 AM

9 posts, read 2,436 times
Here is a test for some “more seasoned” Greenville residents. The building on Pleasantburg that has housed “Taco Casa” for many, many years used to seem to be cursed. Many businesses would open up there, but fold fairly quickly. When I was in elementary or early middle school, there was an ice cream shop there. In fact, one of my classmate’s parents owned it. It made a go of it for quite awhile seemingly breaking the curse. Any of you folks remember what it was called? I can’t remember for the life of me. BTW, Taco Casa was actually named something else when it first opened as a Mexican restaurant. Do any of you remember the original name? I do know this.[/quote]

It was called Cap's Corner (maybe they spelled it with K's?). They had an enormous ice cream concoction called the "Aircraft Carrier." We shared it among seven or eight people. Never seen anything like it since.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvl-Exile View Post
Here is a test for some “more seasoned” Greenville residents. The building on Pleasantburg that has housed “Taco Casa” for many, many years used to seem to be cursed. Many businesses would open up there, but fold fairly quickly. When I was in elementary or early middle school, there was an ice cream shop there. In fact, one of my classmate’s parents owned it. It made a go of it for quite awhile seemingly breaking the curse. Any of you folks remember what it was called? I can’t remember for the life of me. BTW, Taco Casa was actually named something else when it first opened as a Mexican restaurant. Do any of you remember the original name? I do know this.

It was called Cap's Corner (maybe they spelled it with K's?). They had an enormous ice cream concoction called the "Aircraft Carrier." We shared it among seven or eight people. Never seen anything like it since.[/quote]

What years would that have been?

Old 05-24-2023, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 2,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
It was called Cap's Corner (maybe they spelled it with K's?). They had an enormous ice cream concoction called the "Aircraft Carrier." We shared it among seven or eight people. Never seen anything like it since.
What years would that have been?[/quote]

I'm going to say ca 1975-1978 or thereabouts. I distinctly remember getting an Aircraft Carrier with my sister and a few others some time before she graduated HS in 1977.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvl-Exile View Post
That sounds kinda familiar. Now I wish I could remember the owner’s last name. It might have been “Caplain”.

Last edited by boykinlp; 05-24-2023 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-24-2023, 09:45 AM

Here’s another place I thought about earlier today. How about “McBee’s Diner”? It was downtown on Pendleton St. before all the new businesses and changes took place. In fact, I would guess that it was on Pendleton Street about as far down as the baseball stadium. I do remember it was past the Army/Navy Store, on the same side of the road. The owner, Mrs. McBee, was a super nice black woman who could cook like nobody’s business! It was a “meat and three” style place, think soul food, with some booths/tables and counter seating. I remember Mrs. McBee would ask if you were full, and if you weren’t, she would give you more food.

It was in a kinda rundown building, as most were at that time, but clean as a whistle, including the bathrooms. Businessmen would pack the place for lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area