Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2023, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 2,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
That sounds kinda familiar. Now I wish I could remember the owner’s last name. It might have been “Caplain”.

It has come up a couple of times on the Greenville Natives FB group. Found a post that said it was owned by "the Kaplens". Some of the posters indicated it was there as early as '72. All I know is that it was there in '77. Otherwise, my memory fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 11:32 AM

25 posts, read 12,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvl-Exile View Post
It has come up a couple of times on the Greenville Natives FB group. Found a post that said it was owned by "the Kaplens". Some of the posters indicated it was there as early as '72. All I know is that it was there in '77. Otherwise, my memory fails.
Thank you, mystery solved.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:55 PM

428 posts, read 362,015 times
Quote:
Interesting. My mom's family moved to Greenville from PA in '72. She only lived in Greenville for two years and then moved away until we came back in '95. We did visit a lot in the 80s. Never went downtown. I'm guessing because downtown was a ghost town.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 2,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
I haven't been on this forum long enough to have seen this thread before, but I've lived in Greenville all my life. I definitely remember so many of the things that have been mentioned.

A few that I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Swensons on Wade Hampton in front of the Bijou. The building was super cool with octagonal rooms. I remember getting ice cream with gum balls as the topping.

And a question... Spaghetti Warehouse that used to be downtown was built to look like it was an old train car, wasn't it? Or am I thinking of something else?

I believe the Swensen's building was originally a restaurant called The Gazebo. I remember eating there occasionally up to '78 or '79.

As for the Spaghetti Warehouse, wasn't that in the old brick warehouse building on Broad just past the Church St. bridge, going away from Main? Pretty sure that location has also been a brew pub and maybe Northampton Wines.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:28 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
I believe the Swensen's building was originally a restaurant called The Gazebo. I remember eating there occasionally up to '78 or '79.

As for the Spaghetti Warehouse, wasn't that in the old brick warehouse building on Broad just past the Church St. bridge, going away from Main? Pretty sure that location has also been a brew pub and maybe Northampton Wines.

That fits my memory.

I'd love to see an old picture of the I-85/276 interchange from back in the day.

I recall there being at least one, and maybe multiple hotels there. But, I've looked up a number of things people have talked about so far as restaurants that showed to have been in that area back in the day.. Including.. Duff's Smorgasbord.

and.. Of course.. Restaurant Row when it wasn't a row. It was just the Hungry Fisherman with the paddleboats out front.

And.. As for Swensons.. Didn't that become a Schlotzsky's after Swensons? I do miss Schlotszky's.. We used to have a bunch of them, and so far as I know, the one on Old Spartanburg is the only one left. Eh.. Old Boiling Springs Rd, I mean.

Last edited by Labonte18; 05-24-2023 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-24-2023, 06:33 PM

128 posts, read 76,637 times
Quote:

Yep, that's it. I remember that you could see it down below to the right if you were on the bridge going north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And.. As for Swensons.. Didn't that become a Schlotzsky's after Swensons? I do miss Schlotszky's.. We used to have a bunch of them, and so far as I know, the one on Old Spartanburg is the only one left. Eh.. Old Boiling Springs Rd, I mean.

Close, but not the same building. They were next door to each other. Schlotzsky's was in the building that is now Huey Magoos. After Swensons, it seems like I remember that it was Acropolis after they moved from across the street from El Matador (where Waffle House is now). The Swensons building is gone now.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:19 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
Yep, that's it. I remember that you could see it down below to the right if you were on the bridge going north.

Close, but not the same building. They were next door to each other. Schlotzsky's was in the building that is now Huey Magoos. After Swensons, it seems like I remember that it was Acropolis after they moved from across the street from El Matador (where Waffle House is now). The Swensons building is gone now.
Yes the Swenson's on Wade Hampton was a Greek Restaurant. There was also a Swenson's across from Haywood Mall in the 80's next to Bennigan's.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:31 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yes the Swenson's on Wade Hampton was a Greek Restaurant. There was also a Swenson's across from Haywood Mall in the 80's next to Bennigan's.

Ugh, and where was the Bennigan's? Did that become.. Don Pablo's?

Old 05-24-2023, 10:36 PM

25 posts, read 12,227 times
Quote:
It was in that general vicinity. I think the Bennigan’s building was torn down long ago, if I’m not mistaken.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:24 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
It was in that general vicinity. I think the Bennigan’s building was torn down long ago, if I’m not mistaken.
Yes. It was all razed for that Don Pablo's and Barnes and Noble I believe. Does anyone remember the gas station just across Woods Lake there when the mall opened? I believe it was right there between BK and The Gallery (Conn's and Gabes now) shopping center where that little strip mall is now that has Starbucks and formerly Kirkland's. The station had a water feature in the front in the 80's. It was like a fountain that bubbled up and spilled over a waterfall.

Also Conn's at the Gallery was originally an Ingles store and became Carolina Baby Superstore and Gabes was originally a Lechmere store then Phar-Mor, Rhodes Furniture, Steve&Barry's and now Gabes. lol. I loved Lechmere which was kind of similar to Best Buy back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area