Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 07:48 AM

428 posts, read 362,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yes. It was all razed for that Don Pablo's and Barnes and Noble I believe. Does anyone remember the gas station just across Woods Lake there when the mall opened? I believe it was right there between BK and The Gallery (Conn's and Gabes now) shopping center where that little strip mall is now that has Starbucks and formerly Kirkland's. The station had a water feature in the front in the 80's. It was like a fountain that bubbled up and spilled over a waterfall.

Also Conn's at the Gallery was originally an Ingles store and became Carolina Baby Superstore and Gabes was originally a Lechmere store then Phar-Mor, Rhodes Furniture, Steve&Barry's and now Gabes. lol. I loved Lechmere which was kind of similar to Best Buy back in the day.
There was a cool CD store there in 90s. Used CDs. Wasn't there also a pizza place in that strip mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 10:05 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
There was a cool CD store there in 90s. Used CDs. Wasn't there also a pizza place in that strip mall?
CiCi 's pizza is still in The Gallery Shopping Center as well as a Bangkok Thai restaurant and Mextizo Tortas & Tacos.

Old 05-25-2023, 10:28 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Moved away 7 years ago but lived there for 25. I remember when we first moved in downtown shutdown at 6 and the only restaurants on the eastside were John Paul's and McDuffy's and no liquor on Sundays even in restaurants unless you joined this club for $5.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Moved away 7 years ago but lived there for 25. I remember when we first moved in downtown shutdown at 6 and the only restaurants on the eastside were John Paul's and McDuffy's and no liquor on Sundays even in restaurants unless you joined this club for $5.
Yeah when we moved here in 95 there was no booze at all on Sundays. My parents were shocked. I was like it's the bible belt. What do you expect? Hah

Old 05-25-2023, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 2,417 times
A couple of other Haywood features back in the day:

Cork & Cleaver, which predated the Mall, and was a pretty good alternative to Steak & Ale. It sat roughly where the Discount Tire parking lot is. Only lasted a few years.

Carolina First Bank, which is now part of TD, started in that little now-TD branch building next to the Hilton entrance. Originally an SCN branch, I believe.

Also, Haywood used to terminate at Pelham. I suppose the Howell connector was built in rough conjunction with the Mall, but I don't recall that specifically. I just remember how incredibly convenient that cut-through was whenever it was built.

Old 05-25-2023, 02:36 PM

Remember the Briar Patch?

Old 05-25-2023, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 2,417 times
Quote:

In a house across from the Open Hearth (RIP). We went there a lot when we returned to Greenville in the mid-90's. Sunday dinners. They had very good cakes and/or pastries, as I recall.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvl-Exile View Post
In a house across from the Open Hearth (RIP). We went there a lot when we returned to Greenville in the mid-90's. Sunday dinners. They had very good cakes and/or pastries, as I recall.
I seem to remember ice cream too. Open Hearth was good.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:22 AM

128 posts, read 76,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvl-Exile View Post
Also, Haywood used to terminate at Pelham. I suppose the Howell connector was built in rough conjunction with the Mall, but I don't recall that specifically. I just remember how incredibly convenient that cut-through was whenever it was built.

I always wondered why the road changed names after crossing Pelham! I never knew Haywood used to stop there.

Quote:

They used to have a lemon cake that was amazing!

Old 05-26-2023, 10:12 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Yeah when we moved here in 95 there was no booze at all on Sundays. My parents were shocked. I was like it's the bible belt. What do you expect? Hah
I came from Massachusetts and for the longest time they didn't sell alcohol on Sundays but they did allow it in restaurants. Bars no so restaurants who had bars often had to close the bar area. I believe that ended in 2003 but they still have weird hours to avoid church time. Yeah on the parents. They came down for my birthday when we first moved there and it was on a Sunday so no wine or beer. My father wasn't really a drinker but he liked a beer when he went out to dinner which was a rare occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area