Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM

285 posts, read 456,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvilledh View Post
We loved McGuffey's the first few years, and also loved Dundees Outback

Dundees Outback (now Baileys), wow never would have remembered that one! Ditto for the fried pickles and the first in Greenville to offer alligator.

OK, anybody remember Chicago Brew Pub on Woodruff (now Fatz)? Owned by the Peter Davids folks. Had great food and beer but did not serve any domestic which I didn't mind, but might have been a little ahead of its time for a 1994 Greenville.

Midoris hibachi/sushi was right behind it (now Lieus). Had a full service sushi bar, lazy river and all. Kanpais first competitor for hibachi and was probably Greenville's second or third sushi establishment. Might have also been a little bit ahead of a maturing Greenville.

Speaking of beer, we really enjoyed Big River which took over the old Spaghetti Warehouse building on Broad (now Northhampton Wines). Ah the memories, this is a great thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
The old steakhouse in the TJ Maxx plaza off Haywood road with the 50 foot 'Long Horns' signage. I believe they were made to remove it at the request of the city.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 PM

609 posts, read 1,619,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahnicole View Post
Waccamaw Pottery was my mother's favorite place to go...They had the first kiosk jewelry shop in the middle flanked by the actual Waccamaw store and some store that sold nothing but a lot of socks...The jewelry place is where I used to get all of my tulip rings and pick ice...now who remembers those?!! Morrison's had the best creamed corn...Do you remember S & S when it was inside Haywood Mall inside the entrance between (what's now) Macy's and Sears and the line went around the place behind the wall and then you could go to the dining area on the right or go up to the upper (one step up) dining level on the left...And Piccadilly in Spartanburg used to be inside Westgate Mall at the back side (coming from the front entrance now) and there were only 2 stores on both sides and then the mall ended and Piccadilly...And of course, there was just what you were looking for at Upton's when they had the crazy man on the commercial that said "Spot a Dot and Save a lot"...Also, the TV show America's Funniest People when Dave Coulier and Arlene Sorkin hosted it came to Westgate to audition people to be on the show...oh yes, and the girl from the TV show My Two Dads (Stacy) came to Upton's and signed autographs...and when all of the cast from the way back cast of Days of Our Lives who are slowly reappearing on the current episodes used to come for the celebrity softball game to benefit Taylors Falcons and the youth association...Ok my memory is tapped out now...thankfully

I definitely remember S&S ! That was before Morrisons lol

The Sunday stop for everybody

Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM

285 posts, read 456,979 times
This thread is way too good to let die. Who remembers the old Hobby Shop that was on Laurens Rd?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM

557 posts, read 864,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreddy View Post
This thread is way too good to let die. Who remembers the old Hobby Shop that was on Laurens Rd?
I do. Had a good friend that worked there part time. Cool store.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:04 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
-> Sedran Furs on N Main Greenville across from the Hyatt

Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 PM

557 posts, read 864,297 times
Can't remember the name? At Stone Ave. and Laurens Rd. There was a sandwich and soup shop there that was real good and then it was a comedy club later on I believe?? Anybody can help with my parttime memory.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
Noodles, it was a huge Kash & Karry. Warehouse type. Yep I remember that.
Sears- when you walked in & they had a variety of warm nuts in the carousel.
Krispy Kreme being Downtown.
I actually worked at McAlister square.
BoNats on Poinsett Hwy for fresh meat.
Stone Manufacturing
When Downtown was nothing more than the Army Navy store

Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
When I lived off of Woodruff Rd & there was a Winn Dixie & a United Carolina Bank! Nothing else but farmland. Then came The Merovan Ctr, the cemetery & it's been growing ever since!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Grissinger View Post
Noodles, it was a huge Kash & Karry. Warehouse type. Yep I remember that.
Sears- when you walked in & they had a variety of warm nuts in the carousel.
Krispy Kreme being Downtown.
I actually worked at McAlister square.
BoNats on Poinsett Hwy for fresh meat.
Stone Manufacturing
When Downtown was nothing more than the Army Navy store
Pat, Krispy Kreme came to Greenville in 1947 and they were on Cleveland St. across from Sirrine Stadium. They moved to Pendleton St. several years later in the first block on the left they stayed there about a year and changed the front of the store to the back and the back to the front. They were in the same store but the move from the front to the back changed the address to Augusta St. Their final move,so far, was to N. Pleasantburg Dr. near the downtown airport entrance. They did however open a second store here a few weeks ago on Woodruff Rd. I think I am misreading your part about the Army-Navy
Store and downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area