Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 01:15 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I saw or read something somewhere that Bojangles is going to built beside or near the new QT in Simpsonville, anyone know anything about it? Also, how does the new QT plan on selling alcohol, being so close to Grace Church??

BTW, the new Chic-Fil-A opened in Laurens last week. (Really big for Laurens to have this.)
It sure is! I think CFA would be successful almost anywhere, that includes Laurens.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:45 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
I saw or read something somewhere that Bojangles is going to built beside or near the new QT in Simpsonville, anyone know anything about it? Also, how does the new QT plan on selling alcohol, being so close to Grace Church??

BTW, the new Chic-Fil-A opened in Laurens last week. (Really big for Laurens to have this.)
I can't imagine they wouldn't sell alcohol.. Perhaps not Sunday sales, but..

I haven't been down to the CFA in Laurens.. I may swing by there here in a bit.. Got to run down that direction anyway. I can imagine that it's been packed the past few days.. But, once the new gets knocked off, we'll see how it goes. Zaxby's was just insane the first month it was open, but now if you go there.. It's decent business, but probably not what they were expecting based on that first month.

Laurens needs some new development so far as jobs.. High unemployment and the jobs that are here are not great.. ZF being the exception. You've got Sterilite over in Clinton, but they don't seem to pay much above minimum wage. The southern part of Fountain Inn that is in Laurens.. Think there's a few things there that qualify as being in Laurens County.. Faurecia is what I'm thinking of there.

It also has the oldest Sonic that I know of in the upstate. Pretty sure that the one in Laurens was the first one built in the upstate. It opened sometime around 93 or 94 and then shut down for several years. My understanding is the person who owned it passed away and his wife had no interest in running it. Supposedly, same person owned the nightclub "Tumbleweeds" as they both closed at about the same time. And owned a car dealership in Clinton at.. This location. https://goo.gl/maps/QPh3l

That place opened in.. 1994 or so, and was only open for a year. Nothing else has ever been in that building, i've never seen a for sale sign on it.. There's another place that opened down the road from there.. Probably 2004 or 2005.. https://goo.gl/maps/9ZDkg, that Nevehas was a Papa Johns that lasted about a year.. Then became that place, which closed after about 6 months.. Place has been mostly vacant since.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:43 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
New Hardee's location at Pelham Rd. and East North Street opens tomorrow morning, Tues, Sept. 8 at 5am. New prototype design also features Red Burrito menu. Now if they could just add the Superstar with Cheese and Big Carl (Twin) from the flagship menu at Carl's Jr, the parent company. Or bring back the Roy Rogers fried chicken which is still offered at some franchise locations in NC and Virginia.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:58 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can't imagine they wouldn't sell alcohol.. Perhaps not Sunday sales, but..

I haven't been down to the CFA in Laurens.. I may swing by there here in a bit.. Got to run down that direction anyway. I can imagine that it's been packed the past few days.. But, once the new gets knocked off, we'll see how it goes. Zaxby's was just insane the first month it was open, but now if you go there.. It's decent business, but probably not what they were expecting based on that first month.

Laurens needs some new development so far as jobs.. High unemployment and the jobs that are here are not great.. ZF being the exception. You've got Sterilite over in Clinton, but they don't seem to pay much above minimum wage. The southern part of Fountain Inn that is in Laurens.. Think there's a few things there that qualify as being in Laurens County.. Faurecia is what I'm thinking of there.

It also has the oldest Sonic that I know of in the upstate. Pretty sure that the one in Laurens was the first one built in the upstate. It opened sometime around 93 or 94 and then shut down for several years. My understanding is the person who owned it passed away and his wife had no interest in running it. Supposedly, same person owned the nightclub "Tumbleweeds" as they both closed at about the same time. And owned a car dealership in Clinton at.. This location. https://goo.gl/maps/QPh3l

That place opened in.. 1994 or so, and was only open for a year. Nothing else has ever been in that building, i've never seen a for sale sign on it.. There's another place that opened down the road from there.. Probably 2004 or 2005.. https://goo.gl/maps/9ZDkg, that Nevehas was a Papa Johns that lasted about a year.. Then became that place, which closed after about 6 months.. Place has been mostly vacant since.
The Sonic never really closed, they just shut down for the winter at that time. I distinctively remember the "Closed For The Winter" sign. It wasn't as big as it is now back then either.

The first empty building was the old Clinton Chevy, that moved from town. The area the old dealership was in was very rough, and getting worse. The new building was built, and then Cooper bought them out and shut it down. (Im related to them, btw.) I have no knowledge of the other building, except what you have already stated.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
The Sonic never really closed, they just shut down for the winter at that time. I distinctively remember the "Closed For The Winter" sign. It wasn't as big as it is now back then either.

The first empty building was the old Clinton Chevy, that moved from town. The area the old dealership was in was very rough, and getting worse. The new building was built, and then Cooper bought them out and shut it down. (Im related to them, btw.) I have no knowledge of the other building, except what you have already stated.
If it closed for winter.. It was a hell of a long winter. I seem to remember it being closed upwards of 8 months to a year.

There are few areas in Clinton that are NOT rough. You get out by the Ingles and all, that's not a bad area.. My grandmother lived in Lydia Mill for 50+ years, but over on Peachtree St, which was largely older folks down towards her end.. But, as happens.. Time marches on and there were fewer and fewer of the old folks left. I remember sitting on her front porch in the late 80's as a guy came out of his house screaming and cussing at his wife.. Walked down to the store with a gas can and filled it up and made it back to the house and was pouring it all over the house and porch by the time the cops showed up.

I've never quite understood how that bowling alley on Peachtree St stays open. I remember way back in the day when it had a skating rink attached to it. That would have had to have been the late 70's. And when the meat market at the corner of Torrington Rd used to be a chinese restaurant.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If it closed for winter.. It was a hell of a long winter. I seem to remember it being closed upwards of 8 months to a year.

There are few areas in Clinton that are NOT rough. You get out by the Ingles and all, that's not a bad area.. My grandmother lived in Lydia Mill for 50+ years, but over on Peachtree St, which was largely older folks down towards her end.. But, as happens.. Time marches on and there were fewer and fewer of the old folks left. I remember sitting on her front porch in the late 80's as a guy came out of his house screaming and cussing at his wife.. Walked down to the store with a gas can and filled it up and made it back to the house and was pouring it all over the house and porch by the time the cops showed up.

I've never quite understood how that bowling alley on Peachtree St stays open. I remember way back in the day when it had a skating rink attached to it. That would have had to have been the late 70's. And when the meat market at the corner of Torrington Rd used to be a chinese restaurant.
I dont ever recall it completely closing, and I recall my brother going apecrap crazy when they would open back up. My mother in law lives on Sally Drive, across from the old hospital/nursing home. We have/had 2 rentals on what I call the bad side of town. One on Slaon and one on Jefferson. We recently sold the Jefferson st house. Over in that arae was where the Chevy place was.

Anywho, back on topic!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:21 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
See a SOLD sign on land on Wade Hampton right after passing Rutherford Hill going towards DT, on left side. I think that's about the Greer/Taylors line area? Anyone have any ideas what may be going on it, if you know where I'm talking about?

Old 09-09-2015, 05:29 AM

672 posts, read 1,418,046 times
Jimmy John's is officially open in Mauldin. It's probably the smallest JJ store in the area, but the food was just right.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:30 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Tried, Nazca last night on Main St. in Mauldin; it is a Peruvian /Columbian place.
Nazca is closed, but Jalapeno is open in its place (haven't tried the new place yet).

Old 09-09-2015, 08:57 AM

321 posts, read 406,971 times
New freestanding Papa Johns Pizza in Simpsonville appears to be open now. Located next to the new Walmart Neighborhood Market on SC-14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area