Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 12:07 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times

Advertisements

^^Popeyes already has locations in Gastonia, Rock Hill, and Charlotte. As well as Columbia and Atlanta. So it does seem logical for them to infill the Upstate trade area as I have long hoped. Perhaps they will eventually make it into Spartanburg and Greenville, although Bojangle´s already has a strong presence in the spicy chicken category.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:01 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,016,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
^^Popeyes already has locations in Gastonia, Rock Hill, and Charlotte. As well as Columbia and Atlanta. So it does seem logical for them to infill the Upstate trade area as I have long hoped. Perhaps they will eventually make it into Spartanburg and Greenville, although Bojangle´s already has a strong presence in the spicy chicken category.
How many more Bojangle's do we need? With the growth in Greenville including the huge apartment boon I am surprised we aren't seeing even more fast food type establishments popping up. That growth has been slow except for an occasional new Bojangle's or Cookout. Captain D's had their big announcement a while back but nothing so far in Greenville. Have to wonder since we have had so much wait table type restaurant growth downtown and around Magnolia it's slowed the traditional drive thru fast food establishments. Something different like Captains or Popeyes would be nice.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:41 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
I just wonder if Greenville could support another chicken place. KFC, Zaxby's, Golden Chick, Bojangles, etc are all here and fairly well established. That may be part of what's keeping them out.

I'd love it if we got one, but.. They'll probably put one in Boiling Springs or Greenwood.. Seems those two towns tend to be toe-dipping areas for entering the upstate.

I wonder how the Golden Chicks are doing.. When I go, they're dang near empty.. But, I go at oddball times. The one on Pleasantburg never seems to have many people.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM

285 posts, read 457,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I just wonder if Greenville could support another chicken place. KFC, Zaxby's, Golden Chick, Bojangles, etc are all here and fairly well established. That may be part of what's keeping them out.

I'd love it if we got one, but.. They'll probably put one in Boiling Springs or Greenwood.. Seems those two towns tend to be toe-dipping areas for entering the upstate.

I wonder how the Golden Chicks are doing.. When I go, they're dang near empty.. But, I go at oddball times. The one on Pleasantburg never seems to have many people.
I have been wondering the same thing about Golden Chick. I go by the Pelham location and lunch and it is always empty.

Some friends and I were just talking this weekend about how you can go to any tailgate here in the SE, and see tons of yellow Bo boxes in trash cans. I can't tell you the last time that I saw one of those red and white buckets.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:42 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreddy View Post
I have been wondering the same thing about Golden Chick. I go by the Pelham location and lunch and it is always empty.

Some friends and I were just talking this weekend about how you can go to any tailgate here in the SE, and see tons of yellow Bo boxes in trash cans. I can't tell you the last time that I saw one of those red and white buckets.
The chicken quick service restaurant competition will thin as potential competitors stay away from the market because of the number of competitors and existing inferior competitors close stores or are acquired by larger competitors.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:17 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Only went to Golden Chik once- the one on S. Pleasantburg, and it was very busy. I liked the idea that you can get real vegetables, i.e. fried okra as a side.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:19 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,628,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
That Chicken Salad Chick looks like its going across Garlington in a new annex building next to the radio station studios. Has that started construction?
Don't know if they still plan on coming there, but equipment started clearing this lot last week next to the radio station so somebody is it appears.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:00 AM

285 posts, read 457,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Don't know if they still plan on coming there, but equipment started clearing this lot last week next to the radio station so somebody is it appears.
The second location on Pelham just recently opened. Chicken Salad sales must be at an all time high.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:55 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The chicken quick service restaurant competition will thin as potential competitors stay away from the market because of the number of competitors and existing inferior competitors close stores or are acquired by larger competitors.
Golden Chick has good food and nice portions. The chicken tenders are very good, as well as the bone in chicken. They seem to do well in their home Texas market, but may be struggling so far in SC. I hope they are successful in the long term.

Bojangle's seems to be doing very well and continues to expand in the Carolinas and Georgia, whereas some KFC locations have suffered a decline in quality in recent years.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Golden Chick has good food and nice portions. The chicken tenders are very good, as well as the bone in chicken. They seem to do well in their home Texas market, but may be struggling so far in SC. I hope they are successful in the long term.

Bojangle's seems to be doing very well and continues to expand in the Carolinas and Georgia, whereas some KFC locations have suffered a decline in quality in recent years.
I have a problem with that statement.. The inclusion of the words "some" and "recent".. KFC has been dropping for 20 years.

Part of the problem is the price. Good lord has the price of chicken skyrocketed. You used to be able to get an 8 piece, 2 sides and biscuits for under $10.. Now, that will set you back about $20. You get 8 pieces of chicken that isn't that good for $8.. Hey, no big deal.. That chicken costs you $15-$20, it had better be damn good.

I love Golden Chick.. I just never seem to see them overly busy. I went in there a few weeks ago and it took damn near 30 minutes to get my meal, and I was the only person there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area