Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times

Advertisements

Do you have any set plans for the holidays this year?...I'm not sure how I will spend the holidays yet. I don't have any family left at all...A few friends invited me to their holiday dinners but they live far away and it would involve overnight stays...Just not sure what I want to do yet. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,243 times
I am spending them alone. I might take myself out for a bite to eat on Thanksgiving.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Ugh, hadn't thought about them until just now. Since I have no family close to me, I'll just do the holidays like they were ordinary, regular days. If I'm still here in this house, I know my friends/neighbors will be inviting me over to their house. If I'm at the other house, same goes for there. I'm blessed to have good friends/neighbors. I won't be decorating, I don't feel like it.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I am spending them alone. I might take myself out for a bite to eat on Thanksgiving.
You can find a place open, smilin? Around here nothing is open except the big places that you need reservations for.

Thanksgiving is THEE day around here. All 364 of the other days revolve around that one day.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:17 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Yes we still celebrate the holidays even though many of our loved ones are gone, My dad, uncle and 2 grandfathers all passed.As my mother says life does go on but that does not mean we forget those who were dear to us. I still have some family left and my In-Laws ,2 nieces and 2 nephews who are all under the age of 20. I am sorry for those that don't have close family nearby or who have no one to celebrate the holidays with. You are all in my thoughts this Holiday season. . The only holiday not set in stone is Thanksgiving because my mom broke her Tibia and we are still deciding where to have the holiday considering it's usually at my mom's. I always start the meal with a prayer and omage to my deceased loved ones.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Yes we still celebrate the holidays even though many of our loved ones are gone, My dad, uncle and 2 grandfathers all passed.As my mother says life does go on but that does not mean we forget those who were dear to us. I still have some family left and my In-Laws ,2 nieces and 2 nephews who are all under the age of 20. I am sorry for those that don't have close family nearby or who have no one to celebrate the holidays with. You are all in my thoughts this Holiday season. . The only holiday not set in stone is Thanksgiving because my mom broke her Tibia and we are still deciding where to have the holiday considering it's usually at my mom's. I always start the meal with a prayer and omage to my deceased loved ones.
When my mom was gone, we still celebrated. When my dad passed, we still celebrated. Now that hubby is gone, I'm done celebrating. "Life goes on", true but for those of us who have nothing to celebrate or our loved ones to celebrate with, the holidays are meaningless now. Give extra special thanks you are not alone, lubby.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:56 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I managed to find a place last year. It did take a bit of research. It was a 'better' chain restaurant and I did need a reservation because they expected to be busy. Other than that, the only places open were offering a lavish, pricey buffet. I have no idea what I'm going to do this year.

It's too bad that we don't all live in the same town. I'm pretty sure that we could patch together a decent meal. I make a great pie if I have to say so myself. What kind of pie do we want? I may have to bake two. Pie in the sky will be one of them.

I have quite a few DVDs, a huge vinyl collection and scrabble! I'll DJ if someone else will baste the turkey. tamiznluv, you're welcome to come over in your PJs; I might be wearing mine. Please excuse the packing boxes and general mess.

I can just see this motley crew bopping to I Heard it Through the Grapevine while we set the table for dinner.

No one will be inviting me to a holiday meal. Nearest family lives hours away and the rest are scattered to the wind, live in states all over the union. The people who used to call me friend don't seem to remember that I don't necessarily have a big day planned. I don't regret the thousands of hours of volunteer work that I have done over the years but, not one of the people with whom I volunteered remembers that I might be alone on a holiday. It's a pretty sad world... and I'm sad.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:10 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I think it's okay to just stay home alone on the holidays. My husband passed away the week before Thanksgiving 2001. I decided to stay home instead of going to my sister's house, but I did send our son, who was 8 at the time, over there to spend the day. I think for Christmas I made a small dinner for my son and me and one sister came over to join us. I still wasn't up to spending the holiday with all the nieces and nephews.

I no longer live close to family and have a small (new hubby and Son) family of my own. Hubby can no longer eat solid food due to his cancer so I just make a small meal for Son and I. I am considering paying for my sister to fly here for Thanksgiving just to liven things up a bit.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:38 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
It would be nice if some of us could get together for the holidays. (I enjoyed what you wrote Gerania! Thanks!)...I feel like my culture is extinct now. (Or nearly extinct.)...It's hard to be "absorbed" into someone else's family and culture and traditions right now...My son and I had Thanksgiving and Christmas with a local friend and her family the year my husband died. It was nice that they invited us and we enjoyed their young sons on Christmas day...But we missed our family traditions too...My son was in the hospital last year during the holidays...I don't want to feel like a "fifth wheel" or "charity case." It's hard for me to "mix" and "mingle" right now...The friend who invited me and my son to her holiday meals (after my husband died) ended-up having unexpected deaths in her family too. (And hardships.) Maybe I'll spend one of the holidays with her since we're in "similiar boats" now.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:07 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I managed to find a place last year. It did take a bit of research. It was a 'better' chain restaurant and I did need a reservation because they expected to be busy. Other than that, the only places open were offering a lavish, pricey buffet. I have no idea what I'm going to do this year.

It's too bad that we don't all live in the same town. I'm pretty sure that we could patch together a decent meal. I make a great pie if I have to say so myself. What kind of pie do we want? I may have to bake two. Pie in the sky will be one of them.

I have quite a few DVDs, a huge vinyl collection and scrabble! I'll DJ if someone else will baste the turkey. tamiznluv, you're welcome to come over in your PJs; I might be wearing mine. Please excuse the packing boxes and general mess.

I can just see this motley crew bopping to I Heard it Through the Grapevine while we set the table for dinner.

No one will be inviting me to a holiday meal. Nearest family lives hours away and the rest are scattered to the wind, live in states all over the union. The people who used to call me friend don't seem to remember that I don't necessarily have a big day planned. I don't regret the thousands of hours of volunteer work that I have done over the years but, not one of the people with whom I volunteered remembers that I might be alone on a holiday. It's a pretty sad world... and I'm sad.
Keep in mind the offer made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning