Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

RELOCATING - HELP IN ALL AREAS

Group Created by HParr

This is a group where we will discuss all aspects of relocating including (but not limited to) discussions about emotions, realtors, information about different towns, education research, family challenges, finding health care professionals, the positive side of moving, new adventures, how to cope, etc.

View All Members Showing 10 of 3,102 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 165 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1251 to 1260 of 1597
  1. citygirlatheart80
    08-27-2009 05:17 PM - permalink
    citygirlatheart80
    Hi all, I just joined this site- so working on figuring out how it all works... here goes.

I'm interested in moving somewhere, open to suggestions, but choice 1 would be Portland. I'm SWF 24, so I'm looking for a place with a good night life, restaurants, shopping, entertainment... all that. I love living in the city, hobbies include photography, skiing, travelling, boating... etc. I don't currently have a job- so am fairly open as to where to move, this would be upon getting a job...

My main questions for Portland and any other suggested places:
    1. What corporations are located in this city?
    2. What's your most favorite thing to do in this town on the weekend?
    3. How easy would you say it is to meet new people (aside from work ppl- I don't like to mix work and home).
    4. What is the average price of a quality apartment in a good location that pertains to the afore mentioned requirements?
    5. What is the neighborhood you would recommend?

Thanks for your help!
  2. lorilaurielauri
    08-26-2009 03:11 PM - permalink
    lorilaurielauri
    Hey y'all-my husband is very possibly being transferred to New Orleans, LA in the very near future. I've been Googling all over the place trying to find a nice area, but, it seems that everything is one extreme or the other. Does anyone know of any nice "master planned" neighborhoods? Especially ones where you do not have to buy a lot, then go and find someone to build your house! I just want to find a nice neighborhood! Thanks!
  3. nikki yaffa
    08-25-2009 03:16 PM - permalink
    nikki yaffa
    I'm relocating to ATL and will be working lake blvd 30319 i belive that's lennox sq? What counties are close and are good to live in with less crime. What counties should i avoid? I want to live in a safe nice county
  4. adventy
    08-24-2009 11:33 AM - permalink
    adventy
    My Fiance' (27) and I (24) are moving from the Bronx to a townhouse in Danbury and I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to meet local ppl. We are young professionals who are very social people and we would love to make new friends. :-) My Co-worker advised me to check out social network sites ei. Myspace & FB but I am still debating.... Thanks much!
  5. scmover
    08-16-2009 05:44 AM - permalink
    scmover
    Hi Everyone! I currenly live in NYS and looking to relocate to the areas in or around Greenville SC, Asheville NC, Knoxville TN or Sierra Vista AZ. I am a recent Medical Assistant graduate and would like any input that people out there regarding jobs in the above mentioned areas. Thank you for your assistance.
  6. harleybrat1976
    08-15-2009 03:28 PM - permalink
    harleybrat1976
    Hi Everyone! I am brand new to this so i really don't know what to do here but here it goes. My family and I live in Roy Utah it's about 40 miles N of SaltLakeCity Utah. We are in need of a change and we want to relocate to somewhere we've never been. We have been thinking of either Alabama or Oregon we are leaning towards Oregon because its a shorter distance from Utah. We don't have much money but hope to find New Jobs and Great schools for our kids. We are looking for somewhere that has a cheaper cost of living. We both of been in our perfessions for over 10 years so we are hoping that helps us get a job faster. If any of you are in Oregon or Alabama and can give me any insight on where to go it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for listening.......
  7. Hadassa
    08-14-2009 11:27 AM - permalink
    Hadassa
    Hello all, I am a 38 y/o single Mom and am in the process of relocating to Fayetteville, NC! The move is a major transition for my son and I, but it's necessary~we don't know anyone, but feel strongly that this is where God is leading us. I am a Nurse and am confident that a job won't be hard to come by, if you have any suggestions, please throw them out there...
  8. Steph1118
    08-08-2009 05:27 PM - permalink
    Steph1118
    Hey Friends,

I need your help. I am a SBF, age 29, very outgoing personality, Masters degree level education & PT club bartender, love the city but from the country and sick and tired of the Northern VA / DC lifestyle. I have lived here my entire life and desperately need a change. All of my girlfriends are married, have children and share a completely different lifestyle than I do. So its time to move for the time being. I will be relocating within the next 45 days. But where should I go?

The current state of the economy will NOT affect my decision to move, as I am financially stable, so please spare me the lecture. I have put my notice into my employer and as of Sept 7th, I will be free to move about the country. Here are my needs when considering a new state of residence:

Warm weather & water or nice scenery ( I love to run outside)
    Diverse cultural area ( I date outside of my race)
    Nightlife scene
    Public transportation (subway/metro rail, bus, train, etc)
    Cheap cost of living
    Area w/young professionals scene

My first choice was Vegas - because its a complete 360 for me and I am a part time bartender, so I can make hella money there. But I dont have a 2nd or 3rd choice.

I prefer not to relocate to Atlanta (very similar to DC), Chicago (too cold) or Anywere on East Coast (lived here for 29 years)... So whats left??? And advice or suggestions? Im all ears!! Thanks for your time and assistance.
  9. rocknc49
    08-07-2009 07:59 AM - permalink
    rocknc49
    I have recently been contacted by Elite Fitness in Jacksonville,FL about working their as a trainer.I am wondering where is a secure part of town,preferrably close to the gym.Also reasonable rents and things that I'll need like markets,laundry,if not in rental unit,hospitals,shopping.What is there to do in Jacksonville as far as entertainment?
  10. mommatric
    08-06-2009 08:22 PM - permalink
    mommatric
    There is a lot of relocation to Austin Tx going on. I have lived here since 1995 and been in real estate here since 1996. I am currently doing apartment locating. I am fabulous with relocation because I help newcomers choose the right area and apartment based on the lifestyle they are used to living and it is free to you. So if you need guidance in relocating to Austin, give me a call. 512-826-5122. Tricia@aptsaus.com