Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

RELOCATING - HELP IN ALL AREAS

Group Created by HParr

This is a group where we will discuss all aspects of relocating including (but not limited to) discussions about emotions, realtors, information about different towns, education research, family challenges, finding health care professionals, the positive side of moving, new adventures, how to cope, etc.

View All Members Showing 10 of 3,102 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 165 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 801 to 810 of 1597
  1. jmp1926
    11-24-2011 08:47 AM - permalink
    jmp1926
    Happy thanksgiving to all!
  2. sindycastillo
    11-21-2011 11:01 AM - permalink
    sindycastillo
    Hi everyone, i am wanting to relocate to new mexico but need a low cost living place any suggestions????
  3. srolo
    11-17-2011 08:46 AM - permalink
    srolo
    If you want to know anything about relocating to Fort Worth, TX I'd be happy to help. I have a good knowledge of this area. If I can help answer a question about jobs or location I will.
  4. almark
    11-15-2011 05:08 PM - permalink
    almark
    Hi,
    We moved to Austin, mainly based on what media made it out to be (#1 in the nation in Economy) I did so much research online I ended up w/carpal tunnel.
    I'm panicking now, because we've been here for 6 months, applying and applying with absolutely no response from anyone, other than "we had a different set of skills in mind". I was a new home sales agent in Nevada and my husband worked in real estate as well, we also owned a real estate company, mostly getting referrals.
    I was sure that with our years of experience in sales we'd find either new homes or other sales jobs, not 100% commission, (we will need a draw at least) because we have many bills to pay and simply cannot do this.
    I have NO CLUE what it takes to land an interview in this town. Everything is online, but no one responds. What is one to do? What else could look into? You can only obtain a license after 1 yr of residency, but what do we do in the meantime? We found a place in central area, but its hugely expensive - due to not knowing where we would work.Central was good for that reason, but we did not anticipate this many problems getting a job.

Any ideas how to go about a job? How do you land an interview here? Our resumes are impressive, but we are told it may work against us. Does one scale down the achievements to not seem threatening? This is kind of what we heard from some...Please help me with these issues. Right now we cannot go somewhere else... Thank you. We need to find work. What other careers should we be looking at? Or- How can we find out more on the situation with new home sales?
  5. Clarence48
    11-13-2011 12:24 PM - permalink
    Clarence48
    Hi. Though we are not interested in relocating at this time, we have had some experience in relocating to unfamiliar areas in the past, and just though sharing our experiences might help someone else in their relocations.
    1975; Relocated with wife and three children, youngest still a baby in diapers, oldest around five years old, across country, in 1971 Chevy Vega and uhaul trailer, from Longview, WA to Tunkhannock, PA. Made the trip in four days...had been unemployment six months. Had relatives in PA, who was employed at local P&G plant. Having relatives in the area helped emmensley, still required a major sacrifice, and tons of faith. Relatives had trailer rent and furnished for us upon arrival. Within two months, got my first job in PA, though it didn't pay nearly enough, it kept me out of the house and busy, until I got hired by P&G, almost a year later. And it helped toward paying bills and putting food on the table.
    32 years later, kids were all grown and on their own with their own families (including a fourth, who was born in PA a year after we moved there), and though I had been gainfully employed all along, we had fallen into foreclosure on the house we were buying for twenty-seven years, and getting deeper in debt. figured the only way out of an impossible situation was to relocate again. Had been to Norfolk VA couple times over the years visiting relatives, and loved the area. After months of praying, talking to those relatives, doing some research, we made the decision. Rented a uhaul truck with car dolly, sold one old car, junked the other (beyond repair), purchased an old dependable honda, packed up and left town. Withing two months, I got hired at a local Walmart (had worked for Walmart in the past), and the wife got hired by the Navy working as housekkeeper on base, near the apartment we rented. Since, our relatives have relocated back to Missouri, where the husband was from, and we are managing. Much better off here, and enjoying life in general. Norfolk may have a high criminal rate (dont know if I would recommend it for a family) but the economy is diverse, so there's always work of somekind, and the weather's a big improvement from the Endless Mountains in PA. We've managed to get back to PA annually to visit the kids and grandkids, and our youngest, a son, makes it down sometimes twice in a year to visit, and has made it every year so far. With us, I believe that it was our faith in God that gave us the means and courage to make this relocation work, and was the right thing for us to do.
    Still renting the same apartment we moved into on arrival during our move. Landlord has become a close friend and confidant. He is flexible, and works with us when we need special considerations. We help each other. He has become my "best friend."
  6. jmp1926
    11-12-2011 10:12 PM - permalink
    jmp1926

I am going to repost here, I am currently on the West Coast looking to relocate to the East Coast to start a new chapter in life. I am looking for a caretaker/ caregiver position for room and board. In years past years I did CNA/caregiver
    for 12 years. I can also cook and clean and really enjoy this. I'm divorced and only have my 2 cats that are both fixed and very well behaved.
    If need be I would also get a extra income to supplement what I may need.
    I am a very hard worker and not afraid of a days work.
    why am I looking to leave the West Coast well I have been there all my life and why not go where I haven't been, life is too short not to see all that one can see.
    I am very open to this and feel like now is the time to do this. So if there is anyone looking for a care giver or someone to work in a bed/ breakfast etc just let me know, I'm the one for you.
    I would prefer a small quaint town where you can get around easily and people are kind and want to know you.
    My past post was vague and felt I needed to explain why I want to start a new
    journey.So if there is someone out there and feels that this could be a good fit drop me a line.
  7. Bark1911
    11-12-2011 05:31 PM - permalink
    Bark1911
    Hi , I'm relocating to OC, CA and I would love to hear from people who live there. Trying to decide what is a good area to live and if I should send my kids to private or public school. Thanks for the info!
  8. JohanaON
    11-10-2011 08:18 AM - permalink
    JohanaON
    Hi- We're relocating to the St. Louis area and are trying to find a very good place to live. We have a 3 year old and a baby. We are looking for good schools and a safe neighborhood. Could you please suggest some upscale communities. Thank you
  9. jmp1926
    11-07-2011 07:36 AM - permalink
    jmp1926
    I am a 56 yr old woman looking to relocate to a small town anywhere in the East in exchange for room and board, I am a good cook and love to clean, I would also be looking for a job with riding a bike or walking distance, I need a fresh start in life and its just me and my 2 cats. If there is anyone who is looking for help in their home and wants someone please let me know ASAP....
  10. katrinacheri
    11-02-2011 09:31 PM - permalink
    katrinacheri
    i am a single mother wanting to relocate this summer close to galveston tx in or around . . very scared but have got to have change and better myself and have more options for my children . . don't even know where to begain to make this possible . . what to do first??