Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:35 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Who was talking about trespassing? Um- no one.
Some people just have to flex their muscles and bow their chest.

Hunters in my neck of the woods don't need or want to trespass, and land owners don't look for trouble where there is none. We leave the land in better shape than when we got there. We close gates behind us, we don't drive off trail, and we get permission prior to going on private land. We leave no sign that we've even been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Some people just have to flex their muscles and bow their chest.

Hunters in my neck of the woods don't need or want to trespass, and land owners don't look for trouble where there is none. We leave the land in better shape than when we got there. We close gates behind us, we don't drive off trail, and we get permission prior to going on private land. We leave no sign that we've even been there.
We are in good with FS and rat out the fools that pull the signs and have fires anyway. We also pack out so many trashbags of trash it's amazing. What slobs some people are that take advantage of camping on blm land.

They think it's "free" but we already pay for it.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:37 PM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Saw lot's of wildlife today- lot's of mule deer, but all does and a permit only area. 30 cow elk, all in a brow tine only area, lot's of ducks, but I was carrying a rifle, and only 1 whitetail doe right at sunset while I was taking a leak. Rifle was too many steps away. Kind of comical actually

Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Saw lot's of wildlife today- lot's of mule deer, but all does and a permit only area. 30 cow elk, all in a brow tine only area, lot's of ducks, but I was carrying a rifle, and only 1 whitetail doe right at sunset while I was taking a leak. Rifle was too many steps away. Kind of comical actually
Thanks for he chuckle. I've had that happen before. We have a hunting cabin down by Rochford SD. I walked out to the outhouse, about 60 feet, and while sitting there with the door open, a 6 point muley walked between me and the cabin. My rifle was inside the cabin.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:05 PM

Well, it was a gorgeous day to take the rifle for a walk-about. I am thankful for that.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:18 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
I got out with my daughter this weekend. We had a chance at 2 does. It's her first year hunting and she was nervous, and ended up missing her doe. I waited for her shot, then dropped the other.

I then got out on Monday afternoon. About 30 minutes after climbing into my stand, this guy came strolling along. I hit him with a .243. Absolutely no blood trail, but I found him dead about 10 minutes later after he ran maybe 100 yards. I'm very grateful for the meat to put in the freezer. It's the first time I've ever intentionally shot a buck. A couple years ago I accidentally shot a button buck, thinking he was a doe.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I got out with my daughter this weekend. We had a chance at 2 does. It's her first year hunting and she was nervous, and ended up missing her doe. I waited for her shot, then dropped the other.

I then got out on Monday afternoon. About 30 minutes after climbing into my stand, this guy came strolling along. I hit him with a .243. Absolutely no blood trail, but I found him dead about 10 minutes later after he ran maybe 100 yards. I'm very grateful for the meat to put in the freezer. It's the first time I've ever intentionally shot a buck. A couple years ago I accidentally shot a button buck, thinking he was a doe.
Nice Buck! It's amazing how much distance they can put down after good shots. With no blood trail either.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:14 PM

Really nice buck!

My old neighbor used to use a .243, however he's had too many deer run off with no bloodtrail, or the round simply didn't penetrate through the shoulder. I know it is adequate, but sometimes this very thing can occur.

Today I harvested a young 3x3 (not a great rack). I was in a weapons restriction area and used a Parker Bushwacker crossbow. I had a 100gr G5 broadhead and hit him at 35yds. He just stood there when hit, walked 30 yards and fell over. First time using a crossbow for a hunt. It hammered through his boiler like a freight train.

I have a Matthews Outback bow but opted to try something different.

Now maybe one more doe then its back to birds, birds, birds...

Old 11-18-2014, 06:11 PM

I really believe in bullet design. We are getting hosed here in CA as we move to copper or "other" only. The number of stories about lost animals is really depressing.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:16 PM

Here's the crossbow buck..

Here's a buck from same area last year:

And here was a goofy one from last year ( mine )

Last edited by ElkHunter; 11-24-2014 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting