Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 03:28 PM

17 posts, read 13,514 times

Advertisements

How's that old motto go?

I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 04:51 PM

28,672 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER 1050 View Post
What's the first thing they teach anyone who was formally trained?

Dehumanize your enemy....don't look into his eyes or see his face. Don't think about his wife, girlfriend, mother, father or children. This guy was sent here to end your life. End his first.
Where did you get training like that? What was that instructor's name?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:01 PM

17 posts, read 13,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Where did you get training like that? What was that instructor's name?
Funny you should ask that. It was a trademark statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsUtIWzRkQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqyQWJ8PXIc

Pay it no mind.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:43 PM

28,672 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Funny you should ask that. It was a trademark statement.

Pay it no mind.
You don't realize there is a difference between two nations at war and two civilians on the street?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:17 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
That's entirely different than shooting a guy because he called your wife fat. Hardly the same as a perp with a weapon, rap sheet and motive/plan of attacking you.
I once was be employed in an occupation whereby, I frequently had to deal with individuals of whom you speak, folks with weapons, rap sheets and motives to attack me, which is why you could often could find me armed with a weapon. However on those occasions I found it to be preferable to discuss the offending issues in a solicitous manner rather than resort to actions that would place one of us in a grave or in front of a grand jury. So I thank you for your advice but I can assure you that it isn't needed or desired.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:24 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticket To Paradise View Post
I think you have much to learn wise one.

We all know you are an amateur, don't dishonor people who know better please.
Please help resolve my confusion, then. What, exactly, does the video you provided have to do with:
1) the thread topic of "does having a permit to carry cause unnecessary confrontation"; or
2) responding to my post, which you quoted and went to the trouble of adding bold text in places; or
3) anything to do with civilian life whatsoever?

It was an informative video of a Marine Corp drill sergeant starting the long process of training new recruits to obey any and all orders immediately and without question. But I can't see how it applies to anything we are talking about here in the real world.

To repeat what I said earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
He usually throws in a few links to off-topic YouTube clips as if they back up whatever he is saying.
Anywho, you've proven all my points, so I'm done dancing around with you.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:53 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Very well...how about the most feared Lawman in the West take on it.

Mr. Wyatt Earp[b][color=Navy]
Wyatt Earp?

Seriously?

Most feared lawman in the West?

Surely you jest.

Earp was a pimp, a gambler, an inveterate liar and sometimes a lawman, so I'll pass on Earp's bromides.

So getting back to the topic at hand, when I carry a gun which I know for a fact that I can use with great proficiency against live targets I:

1. 1 suppress my temper.
2. I bury my ego, and
3. I relinquish any hold on male pride or other such macho bs.

Why, because 1., 2., and 3 are surefire mind sets that will leave one person dead, or and the other in front of a grandjury. Loss of temper, ego and pride are absolutely no reason to take a life even if in doing so you might squeak by a grand jury.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:22 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
From my observation over the years hearing about or reading about shootings in the news, it seems a large percentage of confrontations that happen could have been avoided just by backing down or not arguing or talking back with the other person? everybody is taught to never back down, dont be afraid, dont let somebody tell you what to do, etc, everybody thinks they are so macho, everybody has to be a tough guy?

since I dont carry a personal defense firearm, I always back down, I never try to be the tough guy, I dont give people the bird, or argue with strangers, this prevents 90% of any type of confrontation or violence, dont butt heads with people and most of the time they will leave you alone.
Two schools of thought:

1.) Step right up, pack your piece, act like you are seven feet tall, and either shoot yourself, or get yourself shot by a person who places absolutely NO value on life--especially yours.

or:

2.) Do the sensible thing; retreat quietly; avoid confrontation; and live to enjoy another day.

Guns kill people. That is all you need to know. Anytime there is a gun involved, the probability of serious injury or death rises dramatically.

but of course, then you don't get to brag to your buddies about how "you showed them" between having sex five times with your woman that night. It just doesn't fit the male hubris pile to not engage "some punk" who promptly disposed of your a$$ like taking out the trash.

Ever notice that the media is filled with so and so was killed today when a "gunman" opened fire. You rarely read about so and so escaped serious injury today when an assailant with a knife/baseball bat/ cement brick attacked him.

There us a reason for that: guns kill.

Period.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:53 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
From my observation over the years hearing about or reading about shootings in the news, it seems a large percentage of confrontations that happen could have been avoided just by backing down or not arguing or talking back with the other person? everybody is taught to never back down, dont be afraid, dont let somebody tell you what to do, etc, everybody thinks they are so macho, everybody has to be a tough guy?

since I dont carry a personal defense firearm, I always back down, I never try to be the tough guy, I dont give people the bird, or argue with strangers, this prevents 90% of any type of confrontation or violence, dont butt heads with people and most of the time they will leave you alone.
So you think carrying a firearm would somehow change how you approach these situations? It would change who you fundamentally are? You're essentially saying that carrying a firearm would inflate your ego to the point of being a jerk when you otherwise wouldn't be.....

Carrying a firearm should make you even more averse to confrontation. When you leave your home with a firearm, you are held to a higher standard. You are expected to walk away, because if you caused the confrontation, or contributed to it in any way, and end up having to use your firearm, they're going to fry you.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:59 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Has the OP even been back after dropping this insightful bomb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting