Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:20 AM

26 posts, read 337,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiM View Post
"But we especially hate people who feel the need to bring up the subject of race in every single sentence, or imply it in every aspect of thier life."

Obviously you have never been treated differently for no other reason except for your skin color:

EVER WALK INTO A MALL WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND TOLD BY A SECURITY GUARD "YOU GUYS LOOK LIKE A GANG OR SOMETHING. BREAK IT UP OR LEAVE" (we were standing in one spot talking and waiting for a friend to come out of the bathroom)
EVER GO TO A GROCERY STORE AND STAND IN LINE WITH YOUR GROCERIES AND ARE IMMEDIATELY ASKED IF YOU WILL BE PAYING WITH FOOD STAMPS. (i have never been on welfare)
HOW OFTEN ARE YOU FOLLOWED AROUND THE STORE BY SECURITY GUARDS?
HOW OFTEN HAVE YOU BEEN PULLED OVER AND SEARCHED FOR DRUGS BECAUSE YOU DRIVE A REALLY NICE CAR?

I really just want to live in peace in a beautiful place that's all.
All places are beautiful if your comfortable in your own skin. Sounds like you have not adjusted to the planet earth yet. Relax. Make some friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
i agree with you completely. can we just stop the hating?!

in regards to the term "popolo": it is indeed an edible fruit and used to describe black people. however, it is a slang. the better term to use is "pa'ele". and, yes, neither terms are considered derogatory.

sorry, when i posted the above statement, i was agreeing with ddane's first sentence and not the rest.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiM View Post
"But we especially hate people who feel the need to bring up the subject of race in every single sentence, or imply it in every aspect of thier life."

Obviously you have never been treated differently for no other reason except for your skin color:

EVER WALK INTO A MALL WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND TOLD BY A SECURITY GUARD "YOU GUYS LOOK LIKE A GANG OR SOMETHING. BREAK IT UP OR LEAVE" (we were standing in one spot talking and waiting for a friend to come out of the bathroom)
EVER GO TO A GROCERY STORE AND STAND IN LINE WITH YOUR GROCERIES AND ARE IMMEDIATELY ASKED IF YOU WILL BE PAYING WITH FOOD STAMPS. (i have never been on welfare)
HOW OFTEN ARE YOU FOLLOWED AROUND THE STORE BY SECURITY GUARDS?
HOW OFTEN HAVE YOU BEEN PULLED OVER AND SEARCHED FOR DRUGS BECAUSE YOU DRIVE A REALLY NICE CAR?

I really just want to live in peace in a beautiful place that's all.
to reiterate: i think you will do just fine up at volcano. there are so many different races of people on all islands.

just wondering: does anyone know the percentage of black people in hawai'i?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:22 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
According to the 2006 U.S. Census Bureau estimates:

Black or African American in the state of Hawaii: 28,062 or 2.2%

margin of error is approximately +/-2,260

Old 12-14-2007, 12:41 PM

33 posts, read 140,451 times
Hawaiians don't care about race. Some schools have fights between the locals and those with attitudes from outside HI. Leave what you learned on the mainland behind. You are in the minority but in a good way, really. Born here's can be gangsta-like but they mostly have beef with the Howlies (white outsiders). Reverse racism. Very little hate a lot of ALOHA!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:44 PM

203 posts, read 1,357,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhjerseygirl View Post
Hawaiians don't care about race. Some schools have fights between the locals and those with attitudes from outside HI. Leave what you learned on the mainland behind. You are in the minority but in a good way, really. Born here's can be gangsta-like but they mostly have beef with the Howlies (white outsiders). Reverse racism. Very little hate a lot of ALOHA!!!
A few people have said the 'leave what you learned on the mainland behind'. What exactly are you/they referring to? Education? Way I go about doing things? Perceptions?

Old 12-14-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
According to the 2006 U.S. Census Bureau estimates:

Black or African American in the state of Hawaii: 28,062 or 2.2%

margin of error is approximately +/-2,260
thank you. did the census say on what islands or was the stat for the state as a whole? i only know three black people. where's the other 28000?
military? is the military considered residents if they are stationed here? i don't have a clue.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhjerseygirl View Post

the fbi may investigate a possible "hate crime" that happened between intermediate girls on the big island. a lot of name calling from both sides and the caucasian girl ended up with a gash in head. terrrible!!!!! see the article in today's honolulu advertiser. cynmkolohe also posted the link to this incident in a previous post/thread.

Last edited by kani-lehua; 12-14-2007 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: sentence

Old 12-14-2007, 08:51 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
thank you. did the census say on what islands or was the stat for the state as a whole? i only know three black people. where's the other 28000?
military? is the military considered residents if they are stationed here? i don't have a clue.

Yes, that was for the state as a whole. Oahu's estimated black population is 25,103 so that means there are approximately 3,000 on the other islands. And yeah, I'd suspect that it includes military members and family stationed there.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Yes, that was for the state as a whole. Oahu's estimated black population is 25,103 so that means there are approximately 3,000 on the other islands. And yeah, I'd suspect that it includes military members and family stationed there.

thanks for the info. i just didn't have a clue about our black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii