Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 11:44 PM

37,177 posts, read 41,370,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Shouldn't male doctors not work on attractive women then? After all, wouldn't it be hard to remain objective when you want to have sex with your patient?
Your assumption is that all male doctors want to have sex with their (attractive) patients. They don't, much less abuse them.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:12 AM

32,970 posts, read 36,471,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Iaskwhy, there is something like 125 million adult females in the US, most of whom will see a GYN multiple times in their life. I don't see anyone here saying that sexual improprieties on the part of male GYNs haven't happened but the chances are extremely small that any woman will ever be the victim. It is not a substantial risk as you say. Substantial would be millions of victims.

The issue is not substantial risk but rather patient preference and comfort. Women who want women physicians for women things makes abundant sense to me. I absolutely understand and support such choices. At the same time I see nothing wrong with women going to male GYNs if that is their choice. My shy daughter who as a teenager only wanted to see female doctors and nurses chose a male OB-GYN when pregnant with her own kids, and she was extremely happy with him. He had come highly recommended by female friends. My daughter says he was very attentive and gave her excellent care.

My wife recently had surgery of a personal nature. The physician was a male and while an inpatient in the hospital several of the nurses attending her were male. She said the males were actually more attentive to her and gentle with her than the female nurses. My guess is that they know many women don't want male nurses for intimate matters and that they were just trying harder to prove themselves is all. That she is OK with male doctors and nurses only means that she is OK. Another woman won't be and that's OK too. Women get to make their own choices. It is not for you or me or any other guy to decide for them.

I on the other hand will only go to male doctors because it is uncomfortable enough facing a sea of female nurses and techs for intimate matters without also having a female doctor for such things. Other men don't care whether their doctor is a female or not and that's OK too.
I was in the ER three times last year, and most of the people who cared for me were women. Interesting change from decades ago.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:29 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,667,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your assumption is that all male doctors want to have sex with their (attractive) patients. They don't, much less abuse them.
Gotta love people who only respond to a single line out of a whole response to them.

Are male doctors not male? Do males not want to have sex with female they find attractive? Whether or not they act on these urges is a completely different story than whether or not they have them.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:55 AM

37,177 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
Gotta love people who only respond to a single line out of a whole response to them.

Are male doctors not male? Do males not want to have sex with female they find attractive? Whether or not they act on these urges is a completely different story than whether or not they have them.
You are stating that a significant number act on them, though.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are stating that a significant number act on them, though.
If by significant you mean between 1-3% then yes. The number may be higher, I'm not sure. I am assuming that you aren't talking about this and instead twisting my words. Which I don't appreciate.

Again, are male doctors not male? Do males not want to have sex with female they find attractive? Whether or not they act on these urges is a completely different story than whether or not they have them.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:22 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,774,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I was in the ER three times last year, and most of the people who cared for me were women. Interesting change from decades ago.
My wife's surgery and inpatient experience was at a large teaching hospital where one would expect to see some male nurses. She had two tend her as an inpatient and one tend her in post-op. Given the intimate nature of her care had she objected they'd of quickly just swapped patient assignments and accommodated her wishes. Large teaching hospitals tend to be more attentive to the fact that they have both male and female patients and are more apt to have both male and female nurses, though still overwhelmingly female of course.

I was in the ER of my small local hospital last month and both of the nurses that tended me were males as was the doctor. That was a total surprise to me given smaller operations usually don't hire male nurses or techs. It was my first ever ER visit there. My situation didn't involve any intimate care so it didn't matter to me what sex my nurses were that day but it is good to know that should I find myself there in need of intimate care that I might just have the option of male staff.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:18 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,180,825 times
Quote:
If by significant you mean between 1-3% then yes. The number may be higher, I'm not sure. I am assuming that you aren't talking about this and instead twisting my words. Which I don't appreciate.

Again, are male doctors not male? Do males not want to have sex with female they find attractive? Whether or not they act on these urges is a completely different story than whether or not they have them.
I don't understand your concern. You're not female and you've already said the women you date don't go to male doctors. Why keep coming back here for months arguing the same thing? Are you trying to warn people? Yes, there are male OBGYNs who prey on their patients and abuse them. There are also dentists that do this, pediatricians, and pretty much any other type of doctor out there has been accused and convicted of abuse.

I am (and other women are) free to choose our healthcare providers. I research mine like crazy before making an appointment. I check for complaints made to licensing boards. I look for reviews on multiple sites and ask for personal references. I'm more likely to be sexually assaulted in the mall parking garage or at work than I am by my OB or doctor.

Have you ever seen a pelvic or breast exam done by an OBGYN? Has anyone ever explained to you in detail what happens? My OB (he's male...my 3rd one actually) has maybe been "down there" for 30-45 seconds total each time. I wear two paper/cloth sheets. The first covers my entire upper half (it's like a robe) and the second lays across my legs and basically covers from my belly button down to my calves. I'm actually more covered in those sheets than I am wearing the clothes I walked into the office with. A pelvic exam is 1-2 minutes. Then he puts my cover back down and that's it.

My OBs have never actually looked at my breasts during an exam. My cover stays on entirely and he only feels my breasts to check for any lumps. Most of the time we're chatting away about work or kids.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I don't understand your concern. You're not female and you've already said the women you date don't go to male doctors. Why keep coming back here for months arguing the same thing? Are you trying to warn people? Yes, there are male OBGYNs who prey on their patients and abuse them. There are also dentists that do this, pediatricians, and pretty much any other type of doctor out there has been accused and convicted of abuse.
I find enjoyment in logical discussions and I like to point out people's irrationality. I like to make people question their deeply held irrational beliefs.

Quote:
I am (and other women) are free to choose our healthcare providers. I research mine like crazy before making an appointment. I check for complaints made to licensing boards. I look for reviews on multiple sites and ask for personal references. I'm more likely to be sexually assaulted in the mall parking garage or at work than I am by my OB or doctor.
I never said you weren't free to choose your own providers. I would like to see statistics and sources backing your claims.

Quote:
Have you ever seen a pelvic or breast exam done by an OBGYN? Has anyone ever explained to you in detail what happens? My OB (he's male...my 3rd one actually) has maybe been "down there" for 30-45 seconds total each time. I wear two paper/cloth sheets. The first covers my entire upper half (it's like a robe) and the second lays across my legs and basically covers from my belly button down to my calves. I'm actually more covered in those sheets than I am wearing the clothes I walked into the office with. A pelvic exam is 1-2 minutes. Then he puts my cover back down and that's it.
Yes, as I mentioned previously I have seen breast and pelvic exams done by gynecologists and I would be willing to bet that I know more about what they are looking for and examining than you do.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:07 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,377,226 times
Quote:
Yes, as I mentioned previously I have seen breast and pelvic exams done by gynecologists and I would be willing to bet that I know more about what they are looking for and examining than you do.
Lol... you already tried arguing that men shouldn't be OBGYNs because they don't have the "equipment" themselves... then you go ahead and contradict yourself. You're not winning any logic arguments.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Lol... you already tried arguing that men shouldn't be OBGYNs because they don't have the "equipment" themselves... then you go ahead and contradict yourself. You're not winning any logic arguments.
Do you know what that word is?

I'm still waiting for you to post dozens of cases of sexual abuse from female gynecologists. How much longer do you think it will take you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness