Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:02 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I appreciate people wanting to help but at this time there is no cure for RSD especially if you have had it for a long time which is true for most people. Now- sometimes you can get through it if NEWLY diagnosed but it is so hard to diagnose and that is the frustration.

I will say today they know more about CRPS or RSD therefore are able to diagnose sooner. I probably had it for 10-15 yrs before they finally figured it out what it was....the damage was done.

I have RSD too for 12 years. I was DX early but especially in the beginning I would cry from pain and was in bed all day. I'm not on any meds and have made a lot of progress but still have bad days. I think I remember you from a support board.

Anyhow until someone has been in severe pain 24/7 for months or years its hard to understand what that is like.

From my experience going to hospitals like Cleveland Clinic they didn't want their chronic pain patients on pain meds and same with UCLA. So in my experience I found doctors being extra careful rx meds. I imagine at small pain clinics that may not be the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 01:08 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Part of the reason for the increase in ODs is Fentanyl, I think. People are mismeasuring doses badly.
Oh I see, thank you Frostnip .

Old 06-20-2018, 01:11 AM

323 posts, read 199,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Same here. I had a tooth so deeply cracked, that the oral surgeon couldn't even see the bottom when he put dye into it to see if it could be saved.

My regular dentist wouldn't prescribe anything except prescription Ibuprofen, which does NOTHING for the severe nerve pain of a cracked tooth. He was AFRAID to prescribe opiates, thanks to the crackdowns.

I was supposed to drive two and a half hours to an oral surgeon, and I literally could not do it because of the pain. I had to wait and time a Percocet a friend gave me so that I could do the long drive, but not while the Percoset was at full strength.

I had the pain of the cracked tooth for several days, and I wanted to die. I was completely nonfunctional. If I had to live permanently with that kind of pain, nothing on this earth would have stopped me from suicide.

Those who want to moralize and pontificate have never felt such pain. Or they're idiots. Not sure what their problem is.
Sitting here right now with a cracked tooth with no pain meds, needing to wait one week for my booked up dentist to take me, because no other dentist within 50 miles accepts my crappy dental insurance. Now I know I'm not the only one who knows this feeling of wanting to kill themselves....

Old 06-20-2018, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Regarding your "little fact" - people who take opiates every day and have for years - and their body's have "adjusted" are addicted.

There is no such thing as "safely performing daily tasks like driving or operating machinery" under the influence of narcotics.
So, you've been a Doctor,Pharmacist for how long?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Millions are in pain and have been for decades, but find and work with many other ways to reduce/calm their pain .. I do and try so so many other ways to help myself.
very good point. I know some people really do need their pain meds, but many of us have learned to live with the discomfort and are doing just fine. I have chronic back pain. In fact I am going to see my PC doctor for my check up in a few minutes and going to ask him if he suggests I do anything more than I am doing, but at 81 I am not about to have surgery nor depend on pain meds. I might be willing to try a shot but otherwise I take advil when I just can't handle it anymore. Most of the time I do whatever I can to calm myself down.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
A family member in my daughter's life was on vicodin for something like 25 yrs, she lost a lot of her hearing and ended up with dementia. She died in early 80's as I recall and her mind was gone.
How many people have bad side effects from NSAIDS on a yearly basis? You do know that those NSAIDS you tout can cause hearing issues among other things after long term use right?

Here's the thing, every person can and do have different reactions to different substances, even those so-called "safe" ones like Homeopathic or "Natural" ones can do damage. Heck, even Vitamins can poison and kill.

There are people who are opiate addicts just has there are people who are addicted to all manner of substances that are really bad for THEM but we don't pass laws that actually hurt people and/or demonize all those people.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Canabinoid oil is a major relief to many. You can order it online, even from Walgreens! Only side effect is I became apathetic. The oil does NOT get you high and is legal almost everywhere.
does it have side effects such as bad for kidneys or liver? Or do you know? I might give it try.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
House Clinic in LA reports that 50% of their total hearing loss patients experience hearing loss from Vicodin use/abuse. They do a huge number of Cochlear Implants, as it's sudden hearing loss, no hearing.

I heard the 50% number over 10 yrs ago, who knows what it is today.

https://www.promises.com/articles/ab...-hearing-loss/

A relative in my life had the surgery and wears CI and when she takes off the appliances, total deafness. Major life change from V use/abuse.

Rush L is a prime well known on this one.
Sure it wasn't NSAID related?

Quote:
Hearing loss, a fairly common affliction for those entering their senior years, can be caused by many things. Now it’s known that ibuprofen is one of those factors.
https://cookhearing.com/ibuprofen-ca...-hearing-loss/

Quote:
Aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen (Tylenol) are all associated with an increased risk of hearing loss in men. This is the first study to look prospectively at this association in women.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-women/262306/

Quote:
We studied over 60,000 women who are participants in the Nurses’ Health Study II and followed them for 14 years in order to prospectively examine whether analgesic use is a risk factor for hearing loss in women.

During follow-up, over 10,000 women developed hearing loss. The participants in the Nurses’ Health Studies are a remarkable group of dedicated and reliable women who have been followed for decades and have provided our group of researchers with a wealth of detailed information on their diet, lifestyle factors, medication use, medical conditions, and more. We used this information to evaluate how their use of analgesic medications may be related to hearing.

The Major Findings

We found that women who regularly took the analgesics ibuprofen or acetaminophen two or more days per week had an increased risk of hearing loss and the more often a woman took either of these medications, the higher her risk tended to be.
https://www.doctoroz.com/article/lin...d-hearing-loss

Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm in South Florida and so many of the rehabs are here and as a result, the halfway houses.

So many people in recovery work for my husband, probably half of his restaurant staff.

I'd say the relapse rate among them is about 95%.

At lease once a month there is an overdose on my facebook feed and it is heartbreaking that these kids are dying so young.

It is a horrible epidemic and something needs to be done.
Is it any worse than Alcoholics? Somehow I don't think so...

Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
The companies I've bought from don't offer any reviews. And some products don't even mention mg on the bottle so one does not know what's in it. My friend got a bottle of Charlotte's Web as it helped her friend and all the bottle said was Charlotte's Web..didn't do a thing for my friend..and cost her over $40 plus shipping.

The product I'm trying right now says 500mg and I looked at their 3000mg strength and it would cost me $84 and I'm not going to do that.

I was hoping to get off some of the ibuprofen. But so far not YET.
So you're here talking about Opiates and how evil they are and yet are buying meds over the internet that A. You have NO IDEA what's in them.
B. Have NO IDEA how they're made or by whom.
C. Have NO IDEA if they even work.
D. Have NO IDEA what the side effects they may or may not cause.

Got it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness