Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2018, 03:42 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Data reliant on ancient records dating back thousands of years with an average n=20 reported as median ages of death not mean with SD of 15 or more

Even the Victorian era data was small sample sizes of around 100 taken from the rolls of the Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians....

The earliest data was also from upper echelons of society....Kings, poets, philosophers etc

Meaningless data collection of small sample size of elites of society questionable at best from earlier ages and of little practical application to the “average “ Victorian era citizen
I can get you plenty more. But you are obviously not interested in reality.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, the decline of child mortality matters a lot for the increase of life expectancy. But as this chart below shows, there is much more to it.

Child mortality is defined as the number of children dying before their 5th birthday. To see how life expectancy has improved without taking child mortality into account we therefore have to look at the prospects of a child who just survived their 5th birthday: in 1841 a 5-year old could expect to live 55 years. Today a 5-year old can expect to live 82 years. An increase of 27 years.

At higher ages mortality patterns have also changed. A 50-year old could once expect to live an additional twenty years. Today the life expectancy of a 50-year old has increased to an additional 33 years.

https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy
As I said, it very much depends on what society you are comparing it to. In some societies there is a lot of poverty, so people don't survive long. In some, there are unsanitary conditions. It goes on and on.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:48 PM

https://www.livescience.com/10464-tr...ife-spans.html

"Reduced infant mortality, more than any single contributing factor, has been responsible for the spectacular rise in American life expectancy."

Old 07-28-2018, 03:56 PM

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news...ed-long-077889

"scientists have compared the life span of adults in contemporary hunter-gatherer tribes (excluding the infant mortality rate). It was found that once infant mortality rates were removed, life span was calculated to between 70 and 80 years, the same rate as that found in contemporary industrialised societies. The difference is that, in the latter, most individuals survive childhood (Kanazawa, 2008)."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ife-expectancy

"Adults everywhere and at all times, including our evolutionary past and in many developing nations today, live to be about the same age. Life expectancy at birth is very low in our evolutionary past and in many developing nations today because many infants and children die. For those who are lucky enough to survive childhood, the life is just as long as it is for everyone else and very few die in their 30s and 40s."

Old 07-28-2018, 03:57 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
As I said, it very much depends on what society you are comparing it to. In some societies there is a lot of poverty, so people don't survive long. In some, there are unsanitary conditions. It goes on and on.
But those weren't your points, what I highlighted addressed your points.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-28-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But those weren't your points, what I highlighted addressed your points.
You are only comparing against one time or place. As I already said many times, there have been times and places where poverty or unsanitary conditions caused short lives.

And you gave one example, I gave others. There isn't a definite consensus. But obviously there are many who doubt the myth.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:11 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Our mainstream medical system has a certain way of looking at nature, and how it's related to health. In that view, if we lived like our primitive ancestors we would be lucky to survive to age 40.
I completely agree with everything you said here. In my own life all my grandparents made it to 80 before kicking the bucket. How does that square with the medical myths that modern medicine is helping us live longer? My own parents made it to 80(s)... so...

I got annoyed last week when my neck hurt and a friend goes "welp... that is getting old for you?" Getting old? I snapped at her that I was 42 and that isn't "old", but her whole attitude was like, it is inevitable, just learn to take Motrin... that is the whole problem.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I completely agree with everything you said here. In my own life all my grandparents made it to 80 before kicking the bucket. How does that square with the medical myths that modern medicine is helping us live longer? My own parents made it to 80(s)... so...

I got annoyed last week when my neck hurt and a friend goes "welp... that is getting old for you?" Getting old? I snapped at her that I was 42 and that isn't "old", but her whole attitude was like, it is inevitable, just learn to take Motrin... that is the whole problem.
Right, all that is part of the myth. You will get aches and pains and they will just keep getting worse.

I had fibromyalgia when I was 30 (undiagnosed). I saw all kinds of medical doctors, and most of them said it was just old age. I was in terrible pain, suddenly! And they insisted it was OLD AGE. I was 30!!

Now I'm 65 and have done yoga ever since then, and I seldom have aches or pains.

There is so much false information!

Old 07-28-2018, 04:20 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
On of the primary treatments for fibromyalgia is exercise. What is your point?

Old 07-28-2018, 04:21 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
OK I just found this thread and I am not going to go through 11 pages of responses, so here is my thoughts:

1) Yes, it's a myth to think that cavemen all died at 40 or 50, even the average lifespan of 47 for the US in 1900 is a lot more due to infant mortality and childhood diseases bringing down the average than one thinks. And if cavewomen constantly died in childbirth, we probably would be extinct by now (however, there are unusual things about human structure that make childbirth more dangerous for humans than other mammals).

2) But that said, while I am sure there are even cavepeople who lived to 100, a far bigger percentage of humanity does that today (and still rare but increasing). My guess and this is where I really think modern medicine factors in, is once you got past late childhood/early adulthood, cavepeople and even most people before the 20th century probably lived frequently into their 60s and 70s, but getting past 80 was like getting past 90 or 100 today.

3) And there still was certainly more deaths by mothers from childbirth in the past than today, but where I will agree with the OP is I don't think the majority of save cavewomen died from childbirth.

4) Heart disease may be partially due to modern "junk food" diets. Maybe even some cancers but I think other cancers are just more likely in old age so that's why we see more of it now.

5) And finally, there are always people who just had "longevity genes" and got lucky no matter what threw them, doesn't mean that everyone who made it past birth had the same natural lifespan of today. If you look up all the people who lived at or past 115 (I picked that extreme age because it's rare enough that you can actually research most or all of them, it's less than 100 people AFAIK), a surprising number of them (though maybe expected given the culture of their young adult time) smoked and often smoked for a significant part of their life (for example, Jeanne Calmant, the only person proven to make it past 120, she was born in 1875 and died in 1997), smoked cigarettes from her teen years until somewhere past 100); that doesn't mean that smoking won't shorten most people's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness