Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times

Advertisements

Well I quit smoking, quit overeating and could not exercise due to injury. I lost weight. So it really is about just eating less than your burn.

Smoking and Metabolism - The Effects of Smoking on Metabolism

Smoking makes your burn more by increasing your heart rate. So you can exercise or just be really, really mad alot. LOL ! That happens when you quit smoking anyway right?

Smoking a pack a day puts as much stress on the heart as wearing 90 lbs that you don't need. WOW. I just learned that from the link above. WOW.

So I guess you have a lot of gaining room to even get close to what ciggs can do. WOW..

I am still shocked by that.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
No amount of smoke exposure is safe. Even second hand. I would not smoke a pipe if I had a history of lung cancer or early cancer in the family. I think being healthy comes more from a good diet + genes first. Then the little etcs can mean different things to different systems.

ACS :: Questions About Smoking, Tobacco, and Health

"Research has found that even smoking as few as 1 to 4 cigarettes a day can lead to serious health outcomes, including an increased risk of heart disease and a greater chance of dying at a younger age. "

^^^that is about the amt you get in a pipe daily if not more.

Go Ask Alice!: Cigar and pipe smoking: Safer than cigarettes?

Who really thinks they can control their own future? Who among us really believes you can "lengthen" life or "shorten" it? Aren't those terms dependent upon knowing when you were supposed to die in the first place? Who knows that?

Face the facts: There are no guarantees in life. You can do all the "right" things and drop dead today. Conversely, you can do all the "wrong" things and live to be 120, so why worry about such things?

When you worry about what you eat and what you do, all you're really doing is playing the odds. In other words, gambling that IF you do certain things you MAY get some sort of payoff from it. As I've said before, the odds are better on a Harrah's slot machine.

Frankly, I'm too much of an epicurian to put aside something I enjoy right now for the slimmest of prospective payoffs and I really have a hard time understanding why people act the way they do in relation to their health. Nobody can control that, so acting as if they can is foolish, in my estimation. I really think they're in denial about their own death.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:48 PM

Take care of a cancer patient sometime. Lets see if you change your mind.

Worry and change are two different things. If you worry, you have not changed! Smoking is pretty cut and dry that you will have some health problems from it. I never yet have come across a smoker that has not had more issues with health or looking older. Even the 1/2 packers start to always get breathing problems around 50-60 something.

People in my family, the healthiest are non-smokers. They also seem to live the longest. Seems like a logical choice to me.

Its a waste of money anyway for me. Its not that fun. I would rather spend my money on something else ever since they went up to those insane prices.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Who really thinks they can control their own future? Who among us really believes you can "lengthen" life or "shorten" it? Aren't those terms dependent upon knowing when you were supposed to die in the first place? Who knows that?

Face the facts: There are no guarantees in life. You can do all the "right" things and drop dead today. Conversely, you can do all the "wrong" things and live to be 120, so why worry about such things?

When you worry about what you eat and what you do, all you're really doing is playing the odds. In other words, gambling that IF you do certain things you MAY get some sort of payoff from it. As I've said before, the odds are better on a Harrah's slot machine.

Frankly, I'm too much of an epicurian to put aside something I enjoy right now for the slimmest of prospective payoffs and I really have a hard time understanding why people act the way they do in relation to their health. Nobody can control that, so acting as if they can is foolish, in my estimation. I really think they're in denial about their own death.
This reminds me of a story I read once in "Readers Digest" of all places about a woman who had received a kidney from her father when she was 12 years old. During her life, the kidney worked well and she never had a problem with rejection or any other issues. When she was much older
(in her 40s I believe) her father died and within 24 hours the kidney stopped working. *just like that*

That incident sure did seem like conclusive evidence that we are all pre-programmed for a certain period of time.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-11-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Take care of a cancer patient sometime. Lets see if you change your mind.

I have. In fact, we're doing so now (89 years old and dying of lung cancer), but it hasn't changed my opinion one iota. Mortality is nothing new to me and mine doesn't bother me a bit. I made peace with that long ago.

You might be surprised at how liberating that is.

Last edited by stillkit; 01-11-2010 at 05:09 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This reminds me of a story I read once in "Readers Digest" of all places about a woman who had received a kidney from her father when she was 12 years old. During her life, the kidney worked well and she never had a problem with rejection or any other issues. When she was much older
(in her 40s I believe) her father died and within 24 hours the kidney stopped working. *just like that*

That incident sure did seem like conclusive evidence that we are all pre-programmed for a certain period of time.

20yrsinBranson
I believe we are "pre-programmed," but maybe I'm just different from most. Partly that's because I believe in the Bible and that God is in control of my life, not me, and I refuse to try and claim that control when it is not mine to claim. I was born when He deemed it best for me to be born and I will die under the same circumstances. I need not bother myself with it beyond that.

And, it's partly because I've spent a lot of time around death during the war, and other places and times since then, and have come to one conclusion about it: It will happen when it happens and there's nothing you can do to change that. It is rarely fair, seemingly random, usually without any rhyme or reason and most often unrelated to the wishes of its victims. Death goes about its business without any reference to those who die. To think we have some influence, some measure of control over death is a lie we tell ourselves because we don't want to die.

Well...want to or not, we will. We can hide in a steel box if we like and death will still find us. We can pray and scream and cry and do all the things we think will ward it off, but in the end, it gets us all.

In any case, I also believe that life is eternal, that it goes on past this veil of tears, beyond this human incarnation, so what's the point in sweating and worrying and obsessing with eeking out a few more days here? After a billion years in eternity, I doubt we'll even remember this place at all.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
No amount of smoke exposure is safe. Even second hand. I would not smoke a pipe if I had a history of lung cancer or early cancer in the family. I think being healthy comes more from a good diet + genes first. Then the little etcs can mean different things to different systems. No one in my family has ever had lung cancer.

ACS :: Questions About Smoking, Tobacco, and Health

"Research has found that even smoking as few as 1 to 4 cigarettes a day can lead to serious health outcomes, including an increased risk of heart disease and a greater chance of dying at a younger age. " This is pure junk science in that most pipe smokers smoke on average of 12 grams of tobacco each day with some , like myself, consuming much less tobacco. One other key point here is that the crap that passes for tobacco in cigarettes is NOT the same as pipe tobacco at all.

^^^that is about the amt you get in a pipe daily if not more. Bull manure!

Go Ask Alice!: Cigar and pipe smoking: Safer than cigarettes?More junk science!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I have. In fact, we're doing so now (89 years old and dying of lung cancer), but it hasn't changed my opinion one iota. Mortality is nothing new to me and mine doesn't bother me a bit. I made peace with that long ago.

You might be surprised at how liberating that is.
Well I prefer the way I have seen the healthy people in my family go. I don't really want to smoke a ciggarette or anything of the sort when I think of old men hacking up blood and needing to be manually relieved of his own feces because the morphine they drink to blot of the pain of death stopped the intestines from working.

I don't find ignorance & apathy to be "liberating" functions.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Of course the fact that MAY have happened ONCE to a living related donor kidney AND the FACT that THOUSANDS of living related kidney donations happen every year WITHOUT similar happenstance is even MORE CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE that the idea of a pre-programmed death is hogwash......

Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times
I do not believe in "Destiny" or "Predetermined time" on your life. That makes no sense to me at all.

But whatever. Even if it's so.... If you are to die at a certain age and it is NOT related to inhaling toxic tobacco smoke, what do you think doing something deliberate to your health every single day will do to your health? IMHO if you smoke, you are cutting yourself and your potential health and quality of life very short! Yes you may never get Lung Cancer, Throat Cancer or COPD to the level where you die. But you do risk having breathing problems, and other non life threatening problems. That's if you are lucky!

WHY TAKE THE CHANCE? Why risk it? LIFE IS TOO SHORT!

Oh I know why. You are addicted and your mind works differently than mine.

You know smoking cigarettes really is not all that wonderful of a thing. If you really think about it, it's comical. It becomes so great because of the highly addictive drug in it. I'm sure if you took bark and laced it with Nicotine and smoked it, you would probably like that a lot too... lol

Last edited by ttz; 01-12-2010 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness