Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
No I wasn't. And the Pens couldn't give away tickets before Super Mario. Like I said nice to see a loyal fan base win it that isn't the status quo like Detroit.
Nobody could give away tickets before Super Mario. And a lot of teams couldn't afterwards either. Loyal fan base? The Blackhawks?? You could hear crickets in the United Center during Hawks games just 3 or 4 years ago. Granted, that was largely in response to shtty ownership, but still...

How easy it is to forget how close to the brink of collapse the NHL was not too long ago. In more ideal times, Winnipeg and Quebec would still have NHL teams.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Hopefully you didn't have any money riding on the game!
I was convinced I was right which is why I could not watch OT. No way did I think the Blackhawks would win a game 6 in OT in Philly

Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Congratulation Blackhawk fan's. I have a bitter pain in my heart this morning but your team was the better team.

Cheers!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:06 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Flyers were impressive, but the Hawks were just a bit better. This was a great playoff year! Congrats to the Hawks.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nobody could give away tickets before Super Mario. And a lot of teams couldn't afterwards either. Loyal fan base? The Blackhawks?? You could hear crickets in the United Center during Hawks games just 3 or 4 years ago. Granted, that was largely in response to shtty ownership, but still...

How easy it is to forget how close to the brink of collapse the NHL was not too long ago. In more ideal times, Winnipeg and Quebec would still have NHL teams.
I think that I was one of the crickets....

I went as a tourist in 2007 to a Hawks-Sens game, when the Sens were a very strong team, and the Hawks were quite weak...the lower balcony was virtually empty...I had acres of seats to rest my feet on...I actually felt a little embarassed to be there..

Things are a little different now, though

Old 06-10-2010, 08:56 AM

660 posts, read 1,653,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
No I wasn't. And the Pens couldn't give away tickets before Super Mario. Like I said nice to see a loyal fan base win it that isn't the status quo like Detroit.
Utter nonsense!

The Steelers have always taken precedence in Pittsburgh, but the Pens also always had a large and very loyal fanbase of their own. Did MORE people watch when they had good teams?....sure, and that's the same everywhere. But the real fans never stopped.

Ticket-wise, (as a percentage - also having the smallest arena), the Pens were more loyal than Quebec, Buffalo, Winnipeg, and if you really want to talk about poor attendance, then there's New Jersey that can't even sell tickets when they are winning Cups.

I'm not knocking anyone, but the fact is that the Blackhawks typically rank around #23-25 in the league....lower than the Penguins.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
I am sure everyone is waiting to hear from me so first, let me congratulate all you Hawks fans out there for your victory.....it was deserved. Looking in retrospect the factor that did the Flyers in and gave the Hawks the victory was first line performance. Richards, Carter and Gagne just never got on track and scored in the finals and while Toews, Kane ,etc struggled to begin with evenutally they came through in the last two games which made the winning difference for Chicago. If Carter had not shot over the top of the net in the final minutes last night we would be playing a game 7 on Friday.....Chicago scored when they absolutely needed to and we didn't.....its that simple. Congratulations Chicago.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Utter nonsense!

The Steelers have always taken precedence in Pittsburgh, but the Pens also always had a large and very loyal fanbase of their own. Did MORE people watch when they had good teams?....sure, and that's the same everywhere. But the real fans never stopped.

Ticket-wise, (as a percentage - also having the smallest arena), the Pens were more loyal than Quebec, Buffalo, Winnipeg, and if you really want to talk about poor attendance, then there's New Jersey that can't even sell tickets when they are winning Cups.

I'm not knocking anyone, but the fact is that the Blackhawks typically rank around #23-25 in the league....lower than the Penguins.

Can't you ever give credit where credit is due ? Who cares if the Hawks are "typically" between a 23 and 25 ranking in the NHL.....they wern't this year and this is the year that counts. Why not just accept the fact that your beloved Pittsburg choked and move on.....unless you wish to dig into Pittsburgh history too and then we can discuss the absolutely horrid pre Mario Pittsburgh teams that used to be found living in the NHL basement or perhaps the putrid Pittsburgh teams that didn't win a single game at the Philadelphia Spectrum for FIFTEEN years from 1974 to 1989, managing their first win there only after Mario had been around for 5 years ?

Last edited by FlyersFan; 06-10-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Meh, fwiw they have been 1st in the league the last two years. I fully understand its a recent trend, but its the current trend nonetheless.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:37 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I am sure everyone is waiting to hear from me
Um no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey