Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Dryers are temporarily convenient while energy is cheap. During the next energy shortage, many people will be hanging their laundry over or near their home heating, such as a radiator or vent, and maybe also washing by human power in a sink, tub, or bucket.
Energy, like internet bandwidth, should only be getting cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 11:18 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Energy, like internet bandwidth, should only be getting cheaper.
Ha, the cost of electricity is a massive issue here because of the government's commitments to targets for more green power because of the whole climate change issue. It is getting more expensive, not cheaper.

Enjoy your cheap electricity if you have it.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:55 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh good grief. I have an HOA. It's technically against the HOA rules to have a clothes line. So. I have a retractable clothes line that I use for sheets. I also hang clothes that I want to dry in the sun on their hangers and I hang them from my outdoor umbrellas. That's not even "on a clothes line." I also have a folding laundry hanger thingie that I use. That's also "not a clothes line." It's not that hard to circumvent HOA "rules."
I've done that. No one cares if you drape something over a deck railing or rack for a while.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

actually, dryers shouldnt be banned, the HOA rule that bans clothesline should be banned, and people should have thier own choice of they want to dry thier clothes....
"Their." Just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, I don't mind the HOA rule - We live in a very nice neighborhood and I don't personally want to see a lot of clothes lines. What I'm saying is that it's easy to hang clothes out to dry without everyone seeing all the laundry.

I prefer living in a neighborhood with a moderate HOA. Not an overly restrictive one but one that has a few enforced rules.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Dryers are temporarily convenient while energy is cheap. During the next energy shortage, many people will be hanging their laundry over or near their home heating, such as a radiator or vent, and maybe also washing by human power in a sink, tub, or bucket.
What is a "radiator?" LOL just kidding but we don't generally have those here. We can hang clothes out to dry in the sun even in the wintertime. It may not be WARM but the clothes won't freeze on the line.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:15 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
"Their." Just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, I don't mind the HOA rule - We live in a very nice neighborhood and I don't personally want to see a lot of clothes lines. What I'm saying is that it's easy to hang clothes out to dry without everyone seeing all the laundry.

I prefer living in a neighborhood with a moderate HOA. Not an overly restrictive one but one that has a few enforced rules.

Yes, I agree with you, what you do is fine, you stated you have a retractible line, that way when you are done with it, it basically diseappears, and is only used when you have the big things like sheets, etc. that's a very good idea, same with the drying racks, when in not use, you most likley fold and put away until the next time you need to air dry something. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Obvioulsy, when you have company in your yard, you not going to have wash hanging all over the place and that when the retractible is just perfect.

I think what you do is fine, of course, as I have stated many times, I am "pro" clothesline, we know this, but of course my living area is fine with people having clotheslines. I don't like when some buildings have thier tenants hang thier laundry on the fire escapes in the front of the building, that doesn't look nice at all, and does make the building look like a third world country....plus is a fire violation, but in a back yard, that's not visable from the street, is another story.

In regards to the original question, I don't think dryers should be banned, like I had said before, I think the rule of banning clotheslines should be banned, but that is JMO. Not everyone has time, like others have stated to hang laundry, of course....some luxury high rises simply cannot have them, and also, I do agree, who wants to look at laundry hanging all over the home,I totally get that. Another poster stated having mutiple kids, husband work clothes, etc, of course, the last thing she would want to do would be to spend over an hour hanging wash, so I get that also.

in our winter months, when you cant really use the clothesline, I too, have the folding racks, i do laundry on a friday night, put it next to the radiator, take shower, go to bed, first thing while having coffee in the morning, I take the rack, bring to the kitchen and fold the clothes, and then fold the clothes rack away, and no one sees it, and Im not looking at it all day, so its a win win situation.

Yes, also, like you have stated, there are many ways to get around "the clothesline" by being creative, thus no one would even know. As a woman, I'm sure you probably even have a few delicate items such as fancy blouses, etc, (please forgive me, Im a middle age man and am not up on the latest on women's blouses) that really should not be put in a dryer, hence this is why you hang them on hangers and dry outside, excellent idea, of course that totally makes sense....and Im sure they are not hanging there for days at a time...

I do think though that electric dryers would use more money in electricity than gas dryers, but that, you can't really help, depending on where you live....here in NY, our electricity rates are terribly insane, by having A/C in the summer months, it completely quadruples my electric bill, so I can't say about other regions, as I don't know.

My friend in Pt St Lucie Florida has an electric dryer and he did mention isn't it expensive, and he said the electric rates are not what they are like in NY. Alos, the humidity is so terrible there, that you really have to use a dryer.

So, I don't agree, that dryers "should be banned",

I believe dryers should absolutley NOT be banned, and I am guilty, there are times I will take my clothes to the laundromat to wash and dry them, I do.....I admit it.

Some people like dryers, and thats that, and others like clotheslines, and others do both.....so, my personal view is do what you like and what makes you happy.

PS: and, just to throw this out there, I hung a few sets of sheets on the clothesline a day ago, sadly they are still there as it has rained....wouldn't you know, all day long sunny, and thinking ok, good, I can come home from work, fold and put away.....but on the way home it starts to rain, and hard too...****sigh*****so, have to leave them there till they are dry.

Now, that makes me crazy, lol, most likley bone ass dry, and i just couldnt get home fast enough, and this would have been one of those times that I would have thrown them all in the dryer (if i had one)......

Last edited by nightcrawler; 09-13-2019 at 06:26 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 06:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Oh good grief. I have an HOA. It's technically against the HOA rules to have a clothes line. So. I have a retractable clothes line that I use for sheets. I also hang clothes that I want to dry in the sun on their hangers and I hang them from my outdoor umbrellas. That's not even "on a clothes line." I also have a folding laundry hanger thingie that I use. That's also "not a clothes line." It's not that hard to circumvent HOA "rules."
So it's just the "clothesline" that is against the rules and not the rows of hanging sheets, towels, and clothing? Because that would seem much more noticeable. Of course if it's all in the backyard you'd need some really crummy neighbors to report you...

Obviously though some HOAs are much stricter - and keeping a little "folding laundry hanger thingie" inside to use won't hardly work for a family, especially with limited time to wash and hang.

But everyone who can hang, certainly do. And those who can't should use whatever options available, without having to worry about breaking laws.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:31 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Ha, the cost of electricity is a massive issue here because of the government's commitments to targets for more green power because of the whole climate change issue. It is getting more expensive, not cheaper.

Enjoy your cheap electricity if you have it.
I believe anything labeled “green” is more representative of the profit margins for the suppliers, not necessarily that it’s environmentally friendly. It’s a huge racket to jack up prices because coal is cheap and plentiful, and some very powerful people don’t like that.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:21 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
People can at least use more moderation in this.
Moderation as in not change sheets for how long? How about underwear? I change sheets every third day at least and underwear every day. Yes, I recall stories of grey ones for week days and one per week and white ones for Sunday around 1940s.
How often do you wash sheets and change underwear? Do you hang yours out on a clothesline for display?

Old 09-13-2019, 09:25 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've done that. No one cares if you drape something over a deck railing or rack for a while.
Drape clean wet laundry over a stained and probably dusty/dirty deck railing. Come to our neck of OK - baby powder find bright red clay dust is everywhere and it is windy every day of the year. Never mind - that is called integrated exfoliating but there are some locations you are hard pressed to scratch at least in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House