Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBright View Post
In Europe or Japan every time you're behind a slower car and flash your brights they take no offense and move over politely. The passing driver reflects gratitude by two flashes of his hazards.

Never see that kind of driving here.
ahahaha!! aaaannd here come the sterotypes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:04 PM

65 posts, read 78,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Flashing people or even brake checking people here will get you in serious trouble if it's the wrong person. People can be so mean.

Yeah, people in america on a whole are often way too concerned with what other people are thinking while on the the road. Rather than thinking about driving and destinations. A flash of the headlights here really does convey "hey **** you move over you slow p.o.s.", more than the "hey, I would like to please overtake you" sentiment you find in those rare places where road etiquette is still alive. I guess it's because flicking your headlights is over-used here, mostly by the type-a drivers who are raging in rush hour traffic to get nowhere. Or impatient drivers harassing grandmas on backroads, scaring them too much to stop and pull aside

Hey man, there's no stereotyping here. Most of what we're talking about is backed by statistics. That being said the USA is one of the safer countries to drive in the world. It astounds me how just a few acts of impatient people in america can cause so much traffic and create accidents that really don't need to happen. We have a long way to go. Teaching proper etiquette would simply make driving on the highways safer, faster, and more fluid. We'll never be Germany or Japan. But our accident rate has been steadily going down for a long time (despite an increasing pop.) It's an internet forum. It's for raging and stereotyping anyways

Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 PM

427 posts, read 947,690 times
Quote:
You're a ****ing **** Trae.

They almost ALL and I do mean ALL want to go 80++++++++++++ like you do. They just realize it's city traffic at 5pm and ****ing utterly pointless to be a lane fairy and ****ing end up creating more traffic for what is otherwise the lane where everyone can go say... 72... when the next lanes are 65mph and slower. You're all still passing people. Get in line and stop being such a little *****.

And to the lady he's replying to.

If there's a gap in front of you that's over 10 car lengths (and growing) at 70 mph in the left lane you shouldn't be surprised if people ride your ass or are opportunistic and get in front of you. You shouldn't be upset with this... Especially in places like socal or apparently Houston. It's out of your control. So deal with it and move over a few lanes if you care so much.
Ride my bumper. I don't care whatsoever.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:43 PM

actually you cant take jokes... you know I won't tailgate, but you still want me to...?

Please pull over? Most of us don't mean you harm. It's dangerous and petty to be so controlling.

If you're trying to control traffic you need to have an attitude readjustment before one finds you.
Can you at least give your reasons as to why you think it's ok for you to go below the pace of traffic in the left lane?

Last edited by SeaBright; 11-12-2013 at 05:05 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
I travel at or above the pace of traffic if I am in the left lane. Do I move? Ya, when I feel like it.

I think people rushing around are the ones trying to control traffic but that is just my opinion. Forcing other drivers from their comfort zone is no way to run the roads.

A few weeks ago I got hit from behind in rush hour traffic by someone that wasn't paying attention and most likely in a hurry. It did a total of $14k worth of damage, to his car only. My truck bumper had a scratch that needed to be painted over (ranch hand rear bumper). Living in Houston and driving in rush hour traffic is one reason I have full replacement bumpers and they have saved me a few times from people like you mention in a hurry and bouncing from lane to lane. A few months ago a buddy of mine clipped a guy that cut in front of him and literally drove over the back of his car (lifted truck vs. a volvo) as that guy was in a hurry as well trying to 'shot the gap'. He lost.

Most of the time I think people are minding their own business and then someone else comes along driving faster than everyone else and it causes issues. People on the roadway today don't handle a car like a race car driver. Slow reflexes, lack and control, and speed do not mix well.

If everyone would slow down slightly and take time to access the roads, traffic, and conditions then we might all get along a little better.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 PM

10 posts, read 12,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
I travel at or above the pace of traffic if I am in the left lane. Do I move? Ya, when I feel like it.

I think people rushing around are the ones trying to control traffic but that is just my opinion. Forcing other drivers from their comfort zone is no way to run the roads.
My mentality changed when I realized that I was classifying other drivers too broadly. I realized that I was putting other drivers into 3 categories: people who are driving too slow and clogging up traffic, people who are driving normally at my speed, and people who are driving recklessly way too fast.

So after a while I realized everyone is an individual trying to get from point A to point B at a speed that they're comfortable with. Everyone has a comfort zone, I can only imagine what the elderly gentleman driving 20 under is feeling when everyone is zooming past him. In his eyes, everyone must be driving with reckless abandon.

Instead of me getting pissed off at slowpokes or speed demons, its a lot easier (and lower stress) to adjust the way I drive. Which means I can pass slower drivers on their left. But if I'm about to pass and see someone in my mirror gaining on me, I'll just wait until the faster car goes by before I make my pass. Since the guy flying by is going so much faster than I am, instead of me getting in front of him and making him slow down to wait for me to pass, I just have to wait a few seconds for him to pass before I'm clear to do the same. I will never see the faster car ever again. No tailgating, no roadrage, no passing me on the right.

Since I like to drive 5-10 above the speed limit myself, this has another side benefit. Since the guy going faster than I am gets to continue on his marry way, its like he is clearing the path ahead of you of any officers waiting to ticket someone.

Its a lot easier to convince myself to slow down temporarily while letting others by me than it is to make others slow down to match my pace. I don't feel the need to hold others to my speed just because I think they are traveling at too brisk of a pace and I hold some sort of moral high ground. I just stay out of people's way and things flow a lot smoother.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:01 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
I put drivers into 2 categories. Me and them.

Everyone does have a comfort zone, but on the road I am only concerned with mine.

I don't get mad at anyone on the road because I don't care. I am just trying to get to my destination.

Be safe out there.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangsta View Post
My mentality changed when I realized that I was classifying other drivers too broadly. I realized that I was putting other drivers into 3 categories: people who are driving too slow and clogging up traffic, people who are driving normally at my speed, and people who are driving recklessly way too fast.

So after a while I realized everyone is an individual trying to get from point A to point B at a speed that they're comfortable with. Everyone has a comfort zone, I can only imagine what the elderly gentleman driving 20 under is feeling when everyone is zooming past him. In his eyes, everyone must be driving with reckless abandon.

Instead of me getting pissed off at slowpokes or speed demons, its a lot easier (and lower stress) to adjust the way I drive. Which means I can pass slower drivers on their left. But if I'm about to pass and see someone in my mirror gaining on me, I'll just wait until the faster car goes by before I make my pass. Since the guy flying by is going so much faster than I am, instead of me getting in front of him and making him slow down to wait for me to pass, I just have to wait a few seconds for him to pass before I'm clear to do the same. I will never see the faster car ever again. No tailgating, no roadrage, no passing me on the right.

Since I like to drive 5-10 above the speed limit myself, this has another side benefit. Since the guy going faster than I am gets to continue on his marry way, its like he is clearing the path ahead of you of any officers waiting to ticket someone.

Its a lot easier to convince myself to slow down temporarily while letting others by me than it is to make others slow down to match my pace. I don't feel the need to hold others to my speed just because I think they are traveling at too brisk of a pace and I hold some sort of moral high ground. I just stay out of people's way and things flow a lot smoother.

exactly... cop bait!

I feel the same way. Be patient and wait for gaps, or a safe time to pass... or sit there patiently! and dont tailgate the living **** out of the person in front of you. Just because they're the ones ahead of you doesn't mean they are the ones causing traffic.

I've never understood why people tailgate whoevers ahead of them when there's obviously nowhere to go...
I love driving normally and pulling up next to them 5 miles later at lights giving a little honk, and then the pretend clap for their efforts. 6/10 times they are nervous and dont look. 1/10 they flip me off and continue on their right lane-get nowhere rampage. and 3/10 times they stop driving like ****s. Im astounded at the amount of people who get the message and calm the **** down when I do that

I really, really want to know what's going through their mind? It pains me to know humans can be so stupid.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
I love driving normally and pulling up next to them 5 miles later at lights giving a little honk, and then the pretend clap for their efforts. 6/10 times they are nervous and dont look.
And 9/10 times you never see them again because they got through the green and are 10 miles ahead while you sit at the red.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:45 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Quote:
exactly... cop bait!

I feel the same way. Be patient and wait for gaps, or a safe time to pass... or sit there patiently! and dont tailgate the living **** out of the person in front of you. Just because they're the ones ahead of you doesn't mean they are the ones causing traffic.

I've never understood why people tailgate whoevers ahead of them when there's obviously nowhere to go...
I love driving normally and pulling up next to them 5 miles later at lights giving a little honk, and then the pretend clap for their efforts. 6/10 times they are nervous and dont look. 1/10 they flip me off and continue on their right lane-get nowhere rampage. and 3/10 times they stop driving like ****s. Im astounded at the amount of people who get the message and calm the **** down when I do that

I really, really want to know what's going through their mind? It pains me to know humans can be so stupid.

I agree! This is great. I also don't get tailgating especially when, like you said, there is nowhere to go. The pretend clap is hilarious. Often times when I am tailgated, I lose the person at the nearest McDonalds or Wal-Mart as they peel away from me and whip into the parking lot at break neck speed. I suppose endangering everyone in traffic was crucial so that they could get to their big mac 30 seconds earlier. They should crack down on tailgaters, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston