Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM

568 posts, read 902,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What's a good speed to go down the left lane then? Cus I tend to use the left lane in rate occasions but go ten above the speed limit maybe less depending on traffic. I do get honked at by people behind me wanting to go 20+ above the limit and get irked that I don't follow suit by going 100.
Going the limit on the left lane I could understand is stupid and I get cross with people doing lurching along when traffic is weak but at the same time I do get equally annoyed by those people that just want to haul a s $ at 90+ in their jacked up trucks. Anything lower that that they consider hogging so what's the consensus?
If someone wants to drive faster than you in the left lane then move out their way. It is safer to let the speeders stay in one lane than make them maneuver through law abiding citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 03:37 PM

614 posts, read 1,239,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Sorry the left lane isn't only for passing in a city with traffic congestion. It's never empty and the drivers that are in it aren't all passing someone.
If you didnt understand that my post was talking about non congested times, then you shouldn't be behind a wheel at all.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,030,328 times
I agree with Cindy, except for the part about only going 65, that's ridiculous you can kick it up to 70-80. But this notion that you have to let the jerk going 90+ or else he will throw his little man rage hissy fit is ridiculous. He can get home just fine going 80. It isn't holding up traffic to not let some of you in here "cruise" at 90.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:44 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,975,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Sorry the left lane isn't only for passing in a city with traffic congestion. It's never empty and the drivers that are in it aren't all passing someone.
That's because they are all like you and left lane hog and say "where everyone else is doing it".

Old 11-09-2013, 03:45 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,139,512 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous. So those jerks going 90+ on the freeway are in the right?
I hate to say it, but yes, they are in the right.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,030,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I hate to say it, but yes, they are in the right.
The left lane is the speeders lane? All lanes are supposed to be law abiding lanes. I could understand going ten above but some of these guys go 90+ even 100 I've seen. They're in the right?

Old 11-09-2013, 04:47 PM

614 posts, read 1,239,303 times
Quote:
I agree with Cindy, except for the part about only going 65, that's ridiculous you can kick it up to 70-80. But this notion that you have to let the jerk going 90+ or else he will throw his little man rage hissy fit is ridiculous. He can get home just fine going 80. It isn't holding up traffic to not let some of you in here "cruise" at 90.
Once again, it's not your job to try to control anyone's speed on the highway. Let law enforcement do that. That what they're paid to do, not you.

Last edited by kcatheart; 11-09-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,038,742 times
I get over if someone is behind me in a hurry. BUT, I do not let people over when a lane ends with signs stating this well before it does. You are no more important than me to wait until the last minute to get over.

If they really wanted to help with something they should show a bigger presence on the weekends late at night. Everytime I leave from work at 5am I'm always on the rode with 2 to 3 drunks and never see a cop.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:29 PM

10 posts, read 12,663 times
Quote:
The left lane is the speeders lane? All lanes are supposed to be law abiding lanes. I could understand going ten above but some of these guys go 90+ even 100 I've seen. They're in the right?

Why do you say 10 over is okay but 90+/100 is not? I think it has to do with comfort level. Everyone wants to go the speed they want to go, either 10 under, at the limit, or 10 over.

What do you do when you come up behind someone going slower than you? You go around them. What happens when someone comes up to you when you're going slower than they are? They'll go around you. Same thing.

I just think it'll be safer (and easier) for everyone involved if you just move out the left lane when you see someone in your mirror. Even if you have to slow down behind someone in the right lane, once the guy going faster passes you, you can speed back up. It takes no time at all, and no one is frustrated.

My 2 cents.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 PM

568 posts, read 902,880 times
Quote:
It's not about them being in the right because they are not. Travelling at those speeds is clearly wrong but people are still going to do it. It is just safer to keep them to one side instead of navigating through traffic where there are many more variables to account for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston