Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:33 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's ridiculous. So those jerks going 90+ on the freeway are in the right? I figured this was mostly a thread to bash those not driving like bats out of hell on the left lane. How are you cruising at 90? That's idiotic unless you're in a huge SUV or truck which I assume is the most where most of the whining is coming from. Ten above is just fine and if some insufferable buzz cut sporting guy in Oakleys driving a dodge ram gets po'ed because I interrupted his "cruising" at 100, he can shove it.
Nobody said they were in the right just that it's not your place to tell them they are wrong. You're funny. You're not even arguing from a moral standpoint of legality. You yourself exceed the speed limit. You just think where you draw the line should be enforced on everyone else. That faster driver doesn't like being forced to go your speed any more than you would like being forced to go his speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,102,435 times
To me it's insane how fast people fly on the left lane. In other cities I'll be the one passing people up and feel like the fast guy on the road but I don't even try and go into the far left in Houston unless I need to haha. This city has me in check lol.

But for real, People here go ridiculously fast, sort of like how radiolibre mentions people being all road ragey if they come up at 90 and tailgate the s*hit out of car going 80 and can't wait.

My theory is people here haven't adjusted to the amount of people that live here and drive on the road. There WILL be traffic so just be patient an extra few seconds and calm down.

That- and people love to work 30+ miles from their home so they must get to work/home as soon as possible and by all means necessary. Seems like people are in a constant rush and running late.

And, also because this city is pretty diverse with so many types of drivers from all over the world where their driving is somewhat faster and reckless and it translates here.

But, for the most part Houston drivers aren't stupid like other cities. I just hope there's never one large pile up due to how close and fast cars follow here.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,890 times
Get out of the left lane as soon as you overtake the person to your right (or they overtake you), and "use your signals!".

Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nobody said they were in the right just that it's not your place to tell them they are wrong. You're funny. You're not even arguing from a moral standpoint of legality. You yourself exceed the speed limit. You just think where you draw the line should be enforced on everyone else. That faster driver doesn't like being forced to go your speed any more than you would like being forced to go his speed.
OMG how ridiculous that the majority of the ppl in here apologize for these ridiculous speeders that have no excuse for their insufferable behavior. I know it's not up to me to tell them they're wrong but there's no reason for me to get out of the way of someone blasting in their truck at 100. It's that simple. The idiot needs to slow down.

We're all forced to go the limit. I go ten over usually because that's about as much leeway cops tend to give a person on the road. So I never have a problem. Sometimes I'll push it to 80 but a typical good ol boy in his dodge ram or SUV getting all road ragey because the person in front of then isn't driving at death speed needs to just slow the F down. It's not impeding on his "liberty". That's just foolish. My lord how some of you in here can be quite transparent in that some of these folks I describe are probably you.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Quote:
But, for the most part Houston drivers aren't stupid like other cities. I just hope there's never one large pile up due to how close and fast cars follow here.
No and that's the thing that bugs me. Houston drivers are not stupid they're just reckless and aggressive as hell. In CA the drivers are beyond idiotic, aloof and utterly careless. Big difference.

I hate to stereotype because the problem is across the spectrum but the major people speeding like bats out of hell are the suburban commuters driving in their SUVs or big trucks where driving 90+ feels like gliding on the road in comparison to driving the same speed in a sedan where it would feel like you're going back in f'ing time.

Some ppl might object but c'mon we've all been tailgated by that big a $ S truck with the chubby goateed good ol guy in Oakleys for refusing to go at breakneck speed. That dude goes bonkers when you don't let him through. His liberty has been infringed! Lol

Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
To me it's insane how fast people fly on the left lane. In other cities I'll be the one passing people up and feel like the fast guy on the road but I don't even try and go into the far left in Houston unless I need to haha. This city has me in check lol.

But for real, People here go ridiculously fast, sort of like how radiolibre mentions people being all road ragey if they come up at 90 and tailgate the s*hit out of car going 80 and can't wait.
No excuse to block the left lane
I always wonder what would happen to a person that has a serious emergency and needs to get to a hospital ASAP and find the typical "speed limit wall of cars" blocking all the lanes.

Hell, even more,
I'd like to hear what ambulance drivers think about driving in Houston.
That would be an interesting interview.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:41 AM

65 posts, read 78,391 times
I think the absolute worst type of drivers are the one's that ...come across two cars going... let's speculate ...80+mph with say... 3 or 4+ car lengths in between... in the left lane ...in packed traffic ...on anything wider than a 3 lane. Patiently waiting for the next gap. Trying not to make the conditions any worse.

The offending driver will get in the right lane and pass one or both cars in their blind spots and then pull in front them only to have to slam his/her brakes for whatever car the happen to end up behind ...in heavy traffic. This causes a wave of braking to every car that was in the lane and eventually becomes traffic.

Tailgating is also a factor. Keeping spaces stops traffic from happening in the first place...

I really, really hate these people and feel like they aren't piked enough for their idiocy. Too bad the best thing you can do is ignore them and keep driving predictably... like a decent human being. In america we can't even complain. We have safe roads compared to almost everywhere else.

Here's some tips...

General hwy etiquette?
-Drive with the flow of traffic. Leave a few car lengths of space to the person in front of you but also maintain your speed so people aren't confusing you for a left lane bandit.

-Try not to sit in the left lane if the right is clear and you're no longer passing (if possible).

-Check your mirrors and give way to sports cars and other vehicles "meant" for the left lane. Even if you think they are going the same speed as you...

-In general if someone someone is trying to go faster than you... and there's a way to safely and predictably get out of their way, and it's not bumper to bumper... then by ALL MEANS NECESSARY GET OUT OF THE WAY BEFORE THEY EVEN REACH YOU.

Dealing with a left lane hog?
-Don't immediately ride their ass.

***Make sure you're not just being a douchebag and caring about what other drivers are doing. I.E... if you're in a pickup and a hybrid passes you because they want to go faster. Don't let your tiny dick motivate you to drive your SUV or whatever in front of them only to slow down before a bend. Don't be the person I mentioned above...

-Try not tailgating for a minute and then flashing your brights twice if the person is being a bandit. If they don't move grow the **** up and sit there like a decent person and don't create more traffic or risk innocent peoples lives for what will probably be a 15 second difference in getting to your destination. Left lane hogs are threatened people who think they can control everything. If you back off and let your intention be known without coming across as offensive they will usually pull over or get into the right lane. In europe flashing your lights doens't mean "hey **** you move over!" it means "please move over" and I pray one day it will be the same in the states.

Being Tailgated?
-Move over
-Move over
-Move over

-Just like the tailgaters... you need to stop giving a **** about what other people think and JUST DRIVE

***Remember what kind of car you're in. Even if you're hauling ass in your Prius you should keep in mind you'll be a bit of a target compared to doing the same thing in any other car. Learn to let people by you if they appear to have tiny penis syndrome.

-Pullouts are real things.

-Move over

-People have legitimate reasons for wanting to drive faster than you. You're not the center of the universe.

-Move over

-Stay over

Here's an idea to all the jack-legs who think they've got it figured out; Mind your own damn business when driving. At all times. You all sound like psychotic douches thinking you understand what others think while driving. No one wants to ****ing race you. Smaller faster and lower vehicles up front, big, high, heavy ones in the back. Grow the **** up and stop being such little ****s.

Last edited by SeaBright; 11-12-2013 at 02:35 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 AM

65 posts, read 78,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
That's because they are all like you and left lane hog and say "where everyone else is doing it".

You're a ****ing **** Trae.

They almost ALL and I do mean ALL want to go 80++++++++++++ like you do. They just realize it's city traffic at 5pm and ****ing utterly pointless to be a lane fairy and ****ing end up creating more traffic for what is otherwise the lane where everyone can go say... 72... when the next lanes are 65mph and slower. You're all still passing people. Get in line and stop being such a little *****.

And to the lady he's replying to.

If there's a gap in front of you that's over 10 car lengths (and growing) at 70 mph in the left lane you shouldn't be surprised if people ride your ass or are opportunistic and get in front of you. You shouldn't be upset with this... Especially in places like socal or apparently Houston. It's out of your control. So deal with it and move over a few lanes if you care so much.

Both of you are ***** and you both cause traffic.

Last edited by SeaBright; 11-12-2013 at 02:37 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 AM

392 posts, read 999,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
OMG how ridiculous that the majority of the ppl in here apologize for these ridiculous speeders that have no excuse for their insufferable behavior. I know it's not up to me to tell them they're wrong but there's no reason for me to get out of the way of someone blasting in their truck at 100. It's that simple. The idiot needs to slow down.

We're all forced to go the limit. I go ten over usually because that's about as much leeway cops tend to give a person on the road. So I never have a problem. Sometimes I'll push it to 80 but a typical good ol boy in his dodge ram or SUV getting all road ragey because the person in front of then isn't driving at death speed needs to just slow the F down. It's not impeding on his "liberty". That's just foolish. My lord how some of you in here can be quite transparent in that some of these folks I describe are probably you.
Not defending the outrageous speeders but it only takes a few seconds to slip over a lane and let them pass, once they pass and the lane is clear move back into it. The speeder gets to keep going, you don't get tailgated, and everyone stays safe, what's so fcking hard to understand about that.

I think 90% of the left lane snails are just totally oblivious to anything going on around them though and that's why they like to put along in that lane since it makes em feel safer.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,776,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You don't get to decide for everyone else what is a reasonable amount to exceed the speed limit.
Neither does the driver approaching you at 'X' mph faster than you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston