Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,796 times

Advertisements

You know you are cool when the hipsters descend on your city like locusts. They suck all the fun out and fly off to the next cool place. IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,505,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social D View Post
Houston seems to be a pretty good destination for third world escapees and desperate out of state unemployed. The young , rich and artsy I am not so sure about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
You know you are cool when the hipsters descend on your city like locusts. They suck all the fun out and fly off to the next cool place. IMHO
These two post are illustrative of Houston getting it from both sides. One says there may not be young artsy types and the other says those types are negative and ephemeral . Yet both of them are here and living the American dream.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
I know a lot of posters here like to duck their heads in the sand and pretend that Houston is the same as it was 20 years ago, but this list is pretty true. There are a TON of young people in the city now, who are literally changing it at breakneck speed. It's not the same city that it was even 5 years ago.
When I lived in Houston decades ago, it was already a cool city, but has just gotten a lot cooler and has hit that threshold where people are noticing. My Austin friends hate me for this, but I think Houston has gotten a lot more interesting and fun than Austin, and doesn't have the holier than thou snob factor that Austin has.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Young and rich has always been Houston. It's always been one of the easiest places in the country to hit it big early on.

Progressive..well that's not working so well in the rest of the country, so I would 't go running around happy dancing about that.

Artsy? Ehh..yeah. Texas has a very low local artist population. But it does have great museums that "import."
Maybe "progressive" meant "socially progressive". That's certainly working well around the country, and that's the way all big U.S. cities are now (even the suburbs are getting more socially progressive).

Old 11-23-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social D View Post
Houston seems to be a pretty good destination for third world escapees and desperate out of state unemployed. The young , rich and artsy I am not so sure about.
You must have your head stuck in a cat litter box.

What I like about Houston is the preponderance of people with upbeat attitudes, fun loving, friendly, socially progressive, and creative. There are tons of religious opportunities that cater to those who want to get along with everyone and "love thy neighbor". The diversity of cultures is amazing and a positive attribute (Houston is now the most diverse city in the country). As per the post above and a few others, there are always going to be some who are anti-everything, negative, bitter, cynical, out to bring others down. But I don't think it's nearly as much a problem in Houston as in other places I've lived or visited. At least that's been my observation.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 11-23-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 08:53 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
In order to be a better city, Houston needs to take some of its gains and start investing into infrastructure, transit, education and city/social services which are all horribly poor. It needs to actually start looking like a major city.

The art scene is mainly a corporate sponsored thing in the city. The city itself rarely spends as much on public and cultural arts as LA or NYC.

The youth and transplants are progressive and see that the city needs to spend money to fill in that gap left over from the limited growth private enterprise has left over. Its good Houston has done so well by fostering probate business growth but do you guys really think that all growth can he spurned by private innovative alone?

Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
+1 Exactly, I like how some of these idiots only think Houston has become a great city in the last 5 years. I also like how the how they love that we have a strong economy(which can be contributed to Texas being a pro business state) and then turn around and praise "progressivism", talk about a oxymoron.
I will call Houston a progressive city when we have a rail system with at least as many miles as the biggest highway loop.
Pretty soon the biggest loop is gonna be Grand Parkway = 180 miles. and we only have 7.5 miles
Houston is a long way from being progressive

Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Young and rich has always been Houston. It's always been one of the easiest places in the country to hit it big early on.

Progressive..well that's not working so well in the rest of the country, so I would 't go running around happy dancing about that.

Artsy? Ehh..yeah. Texas has a very low local artist population. But it does have great museums that "import."
I think we are a socially progressive city. A city that doesn't care about who you love or what ethnicity you are. This is a left live kind of city. Everybody's welcome as long as you're willing to work.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
Houston has been up and there... its a city with good jobs and lots of them and reasonably priced housing and cost of living relative to pay. It is making progress as it grows and matures and does things its own way. Hipsters and liberals are welcome but do not expect to change Houston's fundamental pro business, pro people mantra... Houston I miss the great food and dynamnic economy and while DFW area is stronger than most its no Houston with its multitude of 6 figure pay jobs and families able to afford a good middle to upper middle lifestyle which eludes in so many cities these days

Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
In order to be a better city, Houston needs to take some of its gains and start investing into infrastructure, transit, education and city/social services which are all horribly poor. It needs to actually start looking like a major city.

The art scene is mainly a corporate sponsored thing in the city. The city itself rarely spends as much on public and cultural arts as LA or NYC.
THIS! Houston has done a great job getting to where it's at now but infrastructure is terrible. I'm mainly talking about transit. Also infill is getting better but there are so many more lots and neighborhoods that still need major investment.
Couldn't agree more on the arts scene, it doesn't feel natural. Everything is just brought in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston