Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:21 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
THIS! Houston has done a great job getting to where it's at now but infrastructure is terrible. I'm mainly talking about transit. Also infill is getting better but there are so many more lots and neighborhoods that still need major investment.
Couldn't agree more on the arts scene, it doesn't feel natural. Everything is just brought in.
Many people in Houston, especially the upper middle that benefit the most from the good economy, don't feel as though Houston needs "quality of life". They think that you make your own quality of life with your job, choice of neighborhood and lifestyle. They think its ridiculous that the city should spend money to give you quality. It's too much money and would scare business away according to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:55 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Yeah, when they said progressive, I assumed socially progressive. Houston's is fairly socially accepting, at least for a Texas city.

But, in terms of fiscal progressiveness, not so much. I was just having a conversation about how long it would take Texas to institute an income tax. Personally, I think with all the growth, it's probably not going to take very long before it would be more feasible to lower property tax and institute an income tax. And though I'm sure this is terribly unpopular. I don't see how sales and property could get any higher. Then again I'm guessing people here would rather let private corporations bid on running public high schools before that would happen.

Also, the youth thing is questionable. While we do have a very young population, many of them have kids, and are married. It's not to say that these people don't go out every once and a while, but in the cities where youth have a bigger presence on the nightlife scene, people don't usually get married or have kids so early.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
but I think Houston has gotten a lot more interesting and fun than Austin, and doesn't have the holier than thou snob factor that Austin has.
I would agree. Austin has overtaken Dallas as the most pretentious city in the state.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Many people in Houston, especially the upper middle that benefit the most from the good economy, don't feel as though Houston needs "quality of life". They think that you make your own quality of life with your job, choice of neighborhood and lifestyle. They think its ridiculous that the city should spend money to give you quality. It's too much money and would scare business away according to them.
Well for that vocal population, their quality of life is fine as they have wide streets, a Suburban, a two story house in a cheap subdivision, and their kids have soccer practice, they are completely content.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Well for that vocal population, their quality of life is fine as they have wide streets, a Suburban, a two story house in a cheap subdivision, and their kids have soccer practice, they are completely content.
Yes, like I said "quality of life" has to be "earned" in Houston.

But I agree with a previous poster, Houston's public infrastructure is 3rd worldish by comparison to other major cities. People complain about LA but even though some of the public buildings may be old they're still worlds apart in structure and code, and style. Public works buildings like libraries for one look really good. The social and city services, while bloated and there's red tape are abundant and amazing. Everyone complains but no one will vote to get rid of anything here. They know its better than having nothing.

For the Houston boosters, they still haven't figured out that most of the Texas praising is also a big PR campaign by conservative interests to wage this ideological battle on the best policy to run the country. CA is the scapegoat while Texas is the model.

Houston has a lot of excellent elements about it, the stats aren't lies but there is another side to the story that these financial rags don't explain to ppl. The other half dealing with the **** poor services, lack of health insurance, poor infrastructure, low wage job growth, poverty up, etc.

The boosters seem to dismiss this aspect because the only thing that matters is what's benefitting the middle and upper middle; the high skilled labor and professionals. Everyone else is just lacking gumption according to them.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
I call that the "big government spending" part of the city = wide roads, sidewalks, lots of lighting, lots of free parking, lots of public parks, etc, etc.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't even say the public parks are all that developed. Memorial and Herman are probably the best.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:11 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,850 times
Radiolibre is on fire today!!!! I love your post in this thread.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:36 PM

Thank you. I think it's a good discussion and debate to have.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Radiolibre is on fire today!!!! I love your post in this thread.
He's even shooting at me
Dude, we are homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
For the Houston boosters, they still haven't figured out that most of the Texas praising is also a big PR campaign by conservative interests to wage this ideological battle on the best policy to run the country. CA is the scapegoat while Texas is the model.
Exactly,
I don't like to blindly say "Everything here is perfect" because that means that whatever is wrong is never gonna be fixed

You are right about the California vs Texas BS
I can't stand when people say "Texas is better than California" .... who gives a damn?
I don't care what state is worse than Texas, I live here and I don't care about any other state.

Last edited by Dopo; 11-25-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston