Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That is one thing I've never understood about these right wing politicians. They're in government and all they can talk about is how inefficient it is and how it needs to be downsized. Why are they in government then? How can they be if they don't believe in it and they want to relinquish public power for more private power?
Seriously? So the right wingers should just drop out and let the libs take over?

It's about personal responsibility because if more people had that attitude and mindset, it'll self correct a lot of problems we currently have as a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Seriously? So the right wingers should just drop out and let the libs take over?

It's about personal responsibility because if more people had that attitude and mindset, it'll self correct a lot of problems we currently have as a nation.
Large economic, political and social problems will not be solved in this country with more "gumption". That's absurd.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:

People that say this never give an example of one country where it has worked.

You should read how countries like Japan and Germany came back from the ashes to become super powers.
Similar thing happened to us after the Great Depression (The New Deal)

Old 12-04-2013, 03:33 AM

848 posts, read 2,128,207 times
Quote:
I see no evidence of that. I took a drive around LA last night and noticed all the attractions here that motivate ppl from across the world to visit.

Getty Center, Griffith Park and Observatory, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Venice Boardwalk, Disneyland, universal Studios, Rodeo Dr.,

The Getty Center alone puts LA as miles apart from Houston.

A lot of stuff in LA is free and open to the public because the city invested in providing a quality of life for even the least well off family. Houston is still a corporate fiefdom with a weak little city government.

NYC, SF, Boston and DC are also cities with lots of well maintained public infrastructure, services and sites for every citizen.

People go to Houston to start a work life. It's made for practical living. Its a place to go to work and come home and build a family life. In the loop its a great place to work and play. But I wouldn't consider it a world class city yet but it has the potential out of American city right now.
Actually there's a lot of great little nocturnal playgrounds in Houston outside of the Loop. "Family life", lol. Those myriad young ethnicities and professionals out there, I don't see too much in the way of stereotypical "family" orientation in those fun late-night hangouts all over Houston.

Yeah, I see quiet family life in the loud Flying Saucer, BLU Lounge and Turquoise Bar in Sugar Land. Seeing those whitebread children at Monnalisa Bar of City Centre scribbling with their crayons. They are playing children's scrabble at Diablo Loco, Deck House, Centerfold's and Concert Pub along Richmond Ave. Yep, I see mommies giving hot chocolate to the kiddies in the likes of Tiger Den, Cafe 101, Giau Bar N Bites of New Chinatown. Gotta hand it to the rugrats eating yummy brownies among those slick young Russians, Colombians and Greeks at either Cafe Europe or Dandanah next door on Fountainview.

Houston is typically dismissed only as a "place to start a work life" only to "build a family life?" And yet these cool hangouts mentioned, among many, are outside the Loop.

"Disneyland", "Universal Studios", "Santa Monica?" LOL. "Getty Center alone puts LA as miles apart from Houston?"

Last I see, Houston is a major cultural powerhouse. Houston is one of only four US cities to be a permanent base for all the major performance arts disciplines of ballet, theater, symphony and opera. I do not know if LA is in that class of cities, correct me if I'm wrong. East Coast expats who move to Houston and take their culture seriously agree that it's nothing to sneeze at:
Discovery zone: For Boston expat, the Houston performing arts scen... - CultureMap Houston

Discovery Green in Houston is "free." Walking up and down that way cool concrete trail in the Heights, off White Oak is "free."
Houston has free legendary museums:
Houston Museums - Fine Art - Museum District - Children - Visit Houston

There is no cost for me to do some laps on that wonderful concrete walkabout surrounding the neat pond in Arthur Storey Park. No admission fee for me to do that near endless green wonderland called Hershey Park so close to my abode! Lovin' Houston's parks, man. Los Angeles is a city that has its own public space issues.

"Disneyland" and "Universal City" are not "free." In fact, I find meandering around Sugar Land Town Square and City Centre to be a MUCH superior constructs of canned entertainment than Universal City Walk. NO parking costs in their garages just to stroll around a packaged environment, unlike, Universal City Walk, average cost of $15-30 just to park.

Neither the likes of Hollywood, Santa Monica nor Old Town Pasadena give us that unpretentious, brash, can-can, throw-it-out there yet laid-back entertainment district like the colorful unique palapa bars of Kemah Light House District! I lived in SoCal for quite a few years, and find me a truly FUN, unabashed feckless place like Kemah's T-Bone Tom's out there. Won't find it.

Much preferred the Long Beach Ports-O-Call vibe than Santa Monica or Newport Beach, anyway.

We have every virtually every range of viable and substantial city entertainment, short of legal gambling, here in the Houston region. Whatever's out in Disney Land and Getty doesn't alter that.

Houston does have shotgun poverty that is a little more apparent compared to L.A. or San Diego. BUT...for us lower middle class types (nurse/health care H.I.M)...Houston is way, way more liveable than SoCal.

We can afford a decent house in Houston..and have enough for entertainment AND savings. In SoCal we always had to live with people just to pay rent and have money for other bills and food, meager entertainment. Forget about real savings out there! Here in Houston, we in the decent middle class do not have to live with roommates or borders. Not in the least.

And many of our modest and affordable ranch homes look substantially nicer than those way, way over-priced mud lawns of L.A. and San Diego's modest 'hoods.

Many middle class types CANNOT afford to live COMFORTABLY in California anymore the way they can here. The middle class is really kind of close to extinct in Cali. So many, many people cannot buy a house or at least rent COMFORTABLY without borders out in Cali. I lived that out there. What kind of life is that, really?

Who gives a bleep about better government-funded lifestyle projects when increasing numbers of people live like near service-industry paupers to the elites out in Los Angeles or Orange County or San Diego?

The Unaffordable Golden State: Only 1/3 Californians can afford a home. How a minor jump in interest rates and a big rise in prices has thrown off affordability. Price reductions at highest level in 3 years. » Dr. Housing Bubble Blog

Southern California Economy Not Keeping Up | Newgeography.com

A slap of reality, all the allegedly superior Los Angeles city spending can't help this factor for the labor to lower middle class:
High Rents Make Housing Unaffordable for Most People in Los Angeles | Southern California Association of Nonprofit Housing (SCANPH)

When my wife and I left SoCal we have never looked back.

Last edited by worldlyman; 12-04-2013 at 04:26 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 03:34 AM

848 posts, read 2,128,207 times
Quote:
Thank you again guys. But where are the super boosters? I figured someone would've chimed in with some counter argument.
A bunch of us are doing our living and actually out-and-about enjoying this fun and bountiful city?

Old 12-04-2013, 06:14 AM

433 posts, read 660,849 times
LA is overrated but its cool. You need a lot of money to really appreciate the city. Out of towners who move there from the middle of no where give it a bad name and are usually the ones who feel its superior to everywhere else. Natives were a lot more laid back and real from my experience.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Large economic, political and social problems will not be solved in this country with more "gumption". That's absurd.
No? Then lets continue on the path we're on and see how this great nation is doing in 10-20 years. As more people realize they don't have to work hard and there will be someone else to bail them out, then the divide and animosity between the classes will grow even wider.

Houston is a great city and has not experience the hardship that other major cities have. We have a good thing going here on a larger scale. More people's dreams can become reality here compared to other large cities.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:15 AM

99 posts, read 151,432 times
Quote:

Yeah I should personally fix all the potholes and the horrible road conditions? FYI I called 311 twice yesterday. This has nothing to do with libs or right wingers. Both can be do right and wrong. However, its this attitude that government shouldnt be responsible for even the most basic service is what baffles me. I pay taxes and I expect the government to give back to society. Or we can all just not pay taxes and fix everything on our own. Why do we need government at all? Lets just walk to work and if I have to pass bad areas, I will just have a positive attitude and see if we can get rid of cops too. My positive attitude will correct poverty and crime. Brilliant...

Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksainath View Post
Yeah I should personally fix all the potholes and the horrible road conditions? FYI I called 311 twice yesterday. This has nothing to do with libs or right wingers. Both can be do right and wrong. However, its this attitude that government shouldnt be responsible for even the most basic service is what baffles me. I pay taxes and I expect the government to give back to society. Or we can all just not pay taxes and fix everything on our own. Why do we need government at all? Lets just walk to work and if I have to pass bad areas, I will just have a positive attitude and see if we can get rid of cops too. My positive attitude will correct poverty and crime. Brilliant...
Wanting small government is completely different from wanting NO government. And if you took the time to read my previous posts, I'm all for mass transit, better infrastructure, more police, more firefighters, more public works. I'm not for the other side of the government where they hand out free money to people. That's where personal responsibility comes in play.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 AM

99 posts, read 151,432 times
Quote:
Wanting small government is completely different from wanting NO government. And if you took the time to read my previous posts, I'm all for mass transit, better infrastructure, more police, more firefighters, more public works. I'm not for the other side of the government where they hand out free money to people. That's where personal responsibility comes in play.
I guess I misunderstood you then. See I believe that Houston can become a great city only with the things you mentioned...mass transit, better infrastructure....Nobody on this thread really wants free money. We all work hard to make this city better and the city owes us better services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston