Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:41 PM

61 posts, read 100,945 times

Advertisements

I'm recently divorced and originally from South Texas. My son and I will be relocating from northeastern Oklahoma to the Houston area for my new job. I've spent a lot of time over the years in the Houston and surrounding. This new job was way too good to pass up. But I am experiencing a lot of angst regarding the prospect of actually living in Baytown. I'm concerned about crime, school districts and quality of life. But I'm torn over having my son any further than 20-25 minutes away from me. So, my three realistic options are Mont Belvieu and the Clear Lake area -- in addition to Baytown.

Any insights and advice appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 02:55 PM

280 posts, read 383,684 times
Clear Lake no question.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:00 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
Mont belvieu has good schools from what I've heard. Baytown does have some good areas but I don't know any specifics. That info would best come from a resident.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:02 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,511 times
Really depends on whether or not you are a small town type of person, or a city person.

Clear Lake is more city, while Mont Belvieu is more country...schools in both are good. Mont Belvieu is much smaller, but is quite wealthy due to the income level of many of the refinery workers.

I do not personally agree with MAROON79....different strokes for different folks. Traffic in Clear Lake is atrocious, while there is much less to do in Mont Belvieu...so it really depends on what you are looking for in a place to live.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:10 PM

Default Thanks... but what about Baytown?

So, am I to assume then, that the general consensus among you three is that I should not consider Baytown?

Old 09-09-2015, 03:18 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,317 times
I would only consider Baytown if I was really familiar with Baytown. There are some decent areas, as I go through Baytown pretty frequently. But it also has industrial wasteland. Literally. You would need to know what is what before anything else. I've gotten lost there before and it was not like getting lost in Clear Lake.

Personally I'd start with Mont Belvieu and Clear Lake.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:26 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,363 times
Their is a lot more things to worry about in Baytown than crime. How about the toxic waste pit that town is.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:26 PM

Default Ok then, moving on...

My first choices then in Clear Lake are Seabrook and League City. What's the thinking concerning these two areas? Commute of 25 minutes possible to south Baytown from there?

I've lived in Austin, San Antonio and Dallas in the early years of my career, but more recently we've opted for small to rural. My son has never lived in a city. I would like for him to have that experience but also the multi-cultural view that would come from living in Clear Lake. As far as the data is concerned, there is a level of homogeneity in the Barbers Hill School District that makes me wary -- for no other reason than the health of held perspectives. I'm in economic development. And one thing I know for certain is the more diverse an economy -- or collective mindset -- the healthier it is.

Thoughts? Counters? Rebuttals?

Old 09-09-2015, 03:44 PM

30 posts, read 48,422 times
if you're looking to keep it to 20-25 minutes, I'd suggest the following:

Clear Lake City. Lots of neighborhoods right off Bay Area Blvd, to the east of space center (or right off space center) with a good commute to Baytown. Just don't be driving home at 5PM....try to alter your hours or you will get stuck in bayport traffic. Neighborhoods to check out would be Brookwood, Bay Forest, Bay Oaks, Pinebrook. There are also some patio homes across from Brookwood.

Seabrook would also work. Good neighborhoods right off red bluff, between 146 and Kirby drive. I don't know much about Seabrook east of 146. I had a friend who lived back there and she liked it, but hurricane prep was kind of a mess and she moved before bayport got large.

I would stay north of the Kemah bridge, so this eliminates League City and South Shore Harbor. Traffic is bad across the bridge pretty much all the time. and I think they may shut that bridge down for repair work in the not too distant future...

I've worked on and off in Baytown, as has my husband, for 14 years. I don't know anybody who actually lives in Baytown. the rough parts are rougher than anything I've seen in clear lake.

Sadly I moved from the clear lake area earlier this year and now live in the NE part of the city - off BW8, east of 59. You could consider one of the subdivisions off 8 - summerwood perhaps? It's a much different style of living. I don't love it....I'm trying to get used to it!

good luck!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:45 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
The only good things in Baytown are tamales, donuts and cheap gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1964 View Post
My first choices then in Clear Lake are Seabrook and League City. What's the thinking concerning these two areas? Commute of 25 minutes possible to south Baytown from there?
For Baytown to Clear Lake in about 30-35 minutes, look at zip code 77059. Homes are a bit older and range from about $150k to $2M. What is your budget?

Clear Lake will be the most multi-cultural with Asian, European, Middle Eastern and Caribbean people but it is still majority (~60%) white American. Seabrook and League City won't be as diverse but still more than Mont Belvieu.

And traffic in Clear Lake east of Hwy 3 is generally fine, really a cakewalk compared to many places in town & some new suburbs that grew too fast. Where traffic sucks is on/near I-45 & Bay Area Blvd due to construction. As a resident, you won't be driving the same way visitors are and there are several backroads you can use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston