Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times

Advertisements

I sent this to the person who started the thread:

1. Think of cities as patchworks of different small towns. Some places are rotten, some are very immaculate, and some are in-between
2. You may want to consider shopping at Target - Target has a better clientele than Wal-Mart in cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Houston is and has always been a mean city. I grew up not far from there. If you have the flexibility to move, you might consider the outskirts of Austin? Good luck - I can imagine how stressed you are trying to make the right choice...I'm so sorry all that has happened to you.
Magnolia:
1. What city did you grow up in?
2. I think that the central city has some very nice people in it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Psst...maybe I'm missing something but didn't the OP say she was RENTING?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Oh way to go USC. Muddying the waters with FACTS. There'll be none of that around here. Posturing and unfounded generalizations only.

People like you are all the same.
Drats. And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
I just got back from a visit to my childhood hometown... population 400. True rural life isn't all that idyllic these days either. No industry= no work. We had to lock our doors and watch out for drunks, desperates, meth addicts. Stuff gets stolen all the time. People live in abject poverty and are depressed. Rural areas get screwed out of internet, quality healthcare and social services. They pay much more in food and gas, (and use a lot of gas traveling miles for decent food/healthcare, etc...)

I'm just saying... sure city life isn't for everyone... but rural life is plagued by poverty, and desperation can breed crime.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:38 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Somebody either didn't do a whole lot of research when making a move, or is telling us an entertaining story.

This latter thought crossed my mind too...although the OP has been around awhile and has decent reps. I guess it's certainly possible that someone could have a nearly unbelievable run of bad luck, but it does seem a bit odd overall.

And the OP has not been back yet since original post....

Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Drats. And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
Ruh roh!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 15,266 times
I shop at at Wal-Mart twice a week, though not the Alief one. I go to the ones on 1960 (there are 3 between 45 and 290) and I'm happy to report that I've never had a run-in with crime.

The worst thing that ever happened was when there was two rather large women clugging up the main isle (walking very slow) and I was trying to pass but couldn't. I guess I had my cart too close to their arses (looking back on the situation I probably was too close). Anyway, one told the other one she was fixing to kick my a$$. It was kinda funny. I made a right, walked down a side isle and back up the next isle and passed them that way. Laughing the whole time.

Oh, and one time I was behind a very pregnaunt lady in line and she asked the cashier for cigarettes. The lady had a two year in her cart and I'm not sure what the casheir said to her (it must not have been mean) because the lady laughed and said something like: "oh yeah I smoked all through my pregnancy with him (pointing to 2 year old) and he turned out fine."
That was kind of traumatic for me.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
I agree, BBall Coach. I, too, want a beautiful mansion in Memorial, backing up to the Bayou (but I don't want any flooding), in a fabulous school district (resale value) within walking distance to clubs, bars, restaurants (but not where people park when they go to clubs, bars, and restuarants, and of course, no traffic whatsoever; nor do I want any OTHER pedestrians walking around anywhere near my property), and within walking distance of my office (but not where any high rises can compromise my personal privacy) and with huge trees but safe from hurricanes, all for the maximum I can afford which is $500 a month. Oh, and a personal HPD patrol car driving up and down the street in front of my house and a free burglar alarm.

My other pet peeve is the folks who move here from elsewhere and cry because there are no basements (thread a few days ago), or the city's not totally pedestrian (many threads), or because it's not "urban" enough.

I lived in NYC for 3 years and LA for one (with 2 years each in Minneapolis and Atlanta).

NYC is certainly pedestrian and urban! Yup, very much so. So you can only get what you absolutely essentially must have at the grocer's (and you have to go to the green grocer, the meat market, and the dry goods place because there's no supermarket), because you have to drag it back to your apartment on foot and you can only get what you can carry. You get to stand there to cross the street while the bus sloshes black water from the street onto your dress clothes and your Burberry overcoat while you slog through the black snow to your tiny 6th floor walkup with the view of the airshaft which is $2,500 a month, and you get to smell the guy next to you on the subway as he rambles incoherently. But hey---it's urban and pedestrian! Just don't worry what that liquid you're stepping in is---you don't need to know.

LA is Houston with a nicer, closer beach, same crime level, more traffic on worse freeways and 10 times as expensive.

Minneapolis has basements, which you need to store all your snow gear, which you need to shovel the snow so you can get into and out of your driveway.

Atlanta is Houston, but smaller and more crime-ridden, with no beach at all but a better train system (as long as you work downtown and live in the burbs). If you live and work in Buckhead (as I did), the train does you no good (except for going to Braves games) and there's no such thing as pedestrian. Well, Lenox Square Mall...

Yes, those other places also have their charms (NYC is...NYC; it's incomparable; LA is way cool; Minneapolis---well, um, ok. I moved to Mnpls for work, quickly discovered that I hated the cold weather, and found another job---in the south. Atlanta is great, but then it's very like Houston, isn't it...), but I'm always shocked when people move here expecting it to be EXACTLY like where they just left.

Anyway, rant over.
Good observations.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:35 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLady0 View Post
Oh, and one time I was behind a very pregnaunt lady in line and she asked the cashier for cigarettes. The lady had a two year in her cart and I'm not sure what the casheir said to her (it must not have been mean) because the lady laughed and said something like: "oh yeah I smoked all through my pregnancy with him (pointing to 2 year old) and he turned out fine."
That was kind of traumatic for me.
Wow. That's terrible.
When those kids have constant respiratory issues later in life, we'll know why...

Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
LOL...what was it my Mom use to say? Something about "If you lie down with dogs, expect to get up with fleas"!
( I think our dog Dylan, would be slightly annoyed with her, but....)

Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Wow. That's terrible.
When those kids have constant respiratory issues later in life, we'll know why...
How's the view from your ivory tower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston