Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:05 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,988,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
^^^Absolute truth right there.
Yep. And I can guarantee it, that if these are built, your son/daughter in that nice 300K house of yours will become friends with someone in the low-income apartments. The people living there won't be quarantined and told to say in apartments. People need to really open up and stop being so closed-minded.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:07 PM

789 posts, read 1,531,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
My house in Katy is maybe four or so miles away from this thing. Why are people acting like it'll turn Katy into a ghetto? Where else are people who are going to be working at all of your retail establishments and fixing lunch for your kids at Katy ISD going to live? Not everything can be a 250K home with a detached garage and pool, with a yellow lab as a bonus prize. I'll be happy if this gets built. Maybe now some of the people in the Inner City who couldn't get as good of an education, can now get a Katy ISD education. And I'm sure this will not look anything like the projects. They'll fix it up and won't let it deteriorate.

It is funny seeing people in this thread being glad the development won't be zoned to the schools their kids go to. That's pretty ignorant and sad, to be quite honest.

This is probably the most real comment I've seen posted here. People think just because they live in Cinco Ranch and their kid goes to Seven Lakes High School that everything will be all rosy. I know of plenty of kids who went there that have everything handed to them on a silver platter, but are not doing a damn thing with it. Going down the same path as the kid who never went to school in the hood. Only difference is, the suburban kid has a backup.
You got rep for this one. I know of many middle class to upper middle class kids who could care less about how great their lives are. They aren't doing anything with the opportunities that they have. And they don't care to do anything either. And their parents? Their parents are not that involved at all, because they do have to worry about keeping that same lifestyle going. I often think about how my kids will be if they have such great lives. I fear they will become lazy like those kids, because they never had to deal with the stuff I did.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,284,483 times
Quote:
Yep. And I can guarantee it, that if these are built, your son/daughter in that nice 300K house of yours will become friends with someone in the low-income apartments. The people living there won't be quarantined and told to say in apartments. People need to really open up and stop being so closed-minded.
The though of that scares them.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 PM

26 posts, read 16,590 times
How dare they. I can't beleive they would give poor people a place to live.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,988,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The though of that scares them.
Agreed. I think it's because they think that if they don't make 150K a year, that they must do drugs, etc. The truth? Those rich kids in Seven Lakes are the ones getting into the drugs and doing other things themselves. I know too many of them not to know. Really, South Katy is just the place where the kids' parents got a promotion. The kids stay the same. It's up to the parents to work with their kids.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:43 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,596,746 times
Quote:
Agreed. I think it's because they think that if they don't make 150K a year, that they must do drugs, etc. The truth? Those rich kids in Seven Lakes are the ones getting into the drugs and doing other things themselves. I know too many of them not to know. Really, South Katy is just the place where the kids' parents got a promotion. The kids stay the same. It's up to the parents to work with their kids.
So true. I grew up in Hinsdale, Illinois which is an old money suburb of Chicago that makes South Katy seem more like Mission Bend. Want to know the difference between us and the kids from the lower middle class kids who went to Morton a few miles down the road? Our weed was a hell of a lot better, our liquor cabinets were fuller and we got X years before anyone had even heard of it. Being a scholarship baseball player who met a lot of kids from neighborhoods rich, poor and everything in between I was fortunate. I learned early that most kids from lower income households are not gangbangers. What I did learn is they have the same curiosity as all teens. Some want to drink, get high, fool around with girls etc just as much as middle class and rich kids do. And guess what? Many don't. They'd rather study hard, go to college and really make something of themselves.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:46 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,050,714 times
Quote:
So - don't want your kid being friends with a low income kid?? Not all low-income people are criminals or 'ner do wells... Kids don't learn compassion for only having friends of their own ... lower income kids with kids out of their income bracket get to see that there is hope for a better life when they have friends outside of their income bracket as well.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,096,360 times
Quote:
I will say that it happens many times in public schools in central Houston

Old 03-27-2010, 02:12 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,072,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Get over yourself; you live in one the largest metropolitan areas in the country and if you want to avoid these type of situations than shall I suggest moving to a smaller city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I couldn't agree with you (or y'all) more. I hope it gets built, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I really hope this gets built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
so let me get this straight: poor children move into the area and the schools become bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
So lets be honest is it race, more than income or social status? I only wonder.
Why don't all of you who think this is such a great idea volunteer your own neighborhood for it? Then have fun selling your house in a decade when the schools have declined and home prices stagnated.

If you can't volunteer your own area, you are a hypocrite and should just shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
It's not just the rich and middle class that want their kids to have a good education.
No, the middle class get screwed in this country. They bust their butts to get a home in a nice area with good schools. They did not have a silver spoon in their mouth like the rich. Then, the government comes in and forces them to pay to not only house people for basically free, but to pay the taxes for the tenents' kids education. In their once good schools that are now in decline. And to eat it on property values when they can't sell their house later (or have to take a financial hit on it.)

This country is now for the rich (can just pick up and and move whenever or afford the best area in the first place) and the poor (get government freebies without paying taxes.) The middle class gets none of this and ends up screwed.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,284,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Why don't all of you who think this is such a great idea volunteer your own neighborhood for it? Then have fun selling your house in a decade when the schools have declined and home prices stagnated.

If you can't volunteer your own area, you should just shut up.

I live in 3rd Ward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: